The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Time for me to retire.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:10 pm    

The Steel Guitar Forum has been online for 25 years now. It was touch and go for a while, but it finally stabilized around the turn of the century. Many of you have been here from the beginning, and I'm forever grateful that you stuck around. You all turned an idea into a community.

That said, it's time for me to hang up my hat. We have a study group working on a new business model (my preference is a non-profit organization). In the meantime, my family is going to take over the daily chores:

Shoshanah Marohn (youngest daughter) will be handling new memberships and donations.

Brian Marohn (her husband) is going to handle the Linux server administration.

Lori Smith (oldest daughter) will be running the forum store. The store's email address is steelguitarshopper@gmail.com

Admins Dave Mudgett and Brad Bechtel will be handling support questions. Don't email me! Mr. Green

It's been the joy of my life serving you all. I'll still be around now and then, just not every day. Take care, stay well, and keep on steelin'.
šŸ˜Ž

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:17 pm    

b0b, I was thinking about this day recently. I have to say, joining this forum has been one of the single biggest life-changing events in my musical life. I want to thank you for your friendship, leadership, civility and for having the foresight to start this in the first place. You are going to be sorely missed on a day-to-day basis, but I am sure your family knows what the Steel Guitar Forum means to you. And I want you to know what it means to me too.

If there is anything I can do to help, please keep me in mind. I wish you all the best.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:22 pm    

b0b, I just wanted to say thanks for everything you have done. I wasn't here at the beginning, I think I joined in 2000, but I have spent a lot of time here and have gained a lot from your effort. Wishing you a long and happy retirement! Thanks again!

Bill

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:23 pm    

Way to go, b0b! I'm so happy for you.

You have created a huge, worldwide family.

Speaking of family, I'm glad you have family members who will continue the legacy you created.

~Lee

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:29 pm    

b0b we all owe you a debt of gratitude for this community and knowledge center... I've certainly benefited from my association with your Forum.

Blessings during your retirement.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 6:36 pm    

I donā€™t know what l would do without SGF. Thanks b0b!!!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 7:07 pm    

What you have built here Bob has been nothing short of a Godsend in my quest to learn steel guitar. I've never as much as seen a pedal steel guitarist live or had access to personal lessons. The treasure trove of information here on the forum is priceless.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 7:17 pm    

Thanks for all youā€™ve done Bob! Enjoy your well deserved retirement.
Dale

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 7:30 pm    

Hey b0b -

Congrats on the retirement. I can only echo the comments already posted here: you and SGF have had a profoundly positive affect on my life - I canā€™t thank you enough. You have left a mark.

PS If youā€™re ever in the neighborhood, Iā€™ll buy you a beer.

Last edited by Frank Freniere on 1 Jan 2023 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Scott Swartz

St. Louis, MO
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 7:59 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
joining this forum has been one of the single biggest life-changing events in my musical life. I want to thank you for your friendship, leadership, civility and for having the foresight to start this in the first place.

Mike said it perfectly, this forum has had a large impact on thousands of people worldwide (me included), and the collected knowledge here that can transmit forward to future players is a great legacy!

Thanks b0b.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 8:00 pm    

A very heart felt Thank You............

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 8:50 pm    

b0b, I first heard about the forum in ā€˜Jackson Holeā€™ Wyoming 2001 ishā€¦I believe I joined a few years later, I canā€™t thank you enough for this wonderful cyber connection to a worldwide connection to steel players that have become a brotherhood.
You always ran the forum with top shelf policies, allowing legitimate debates and opinions breath for the sake of growth of the steel guitar, and only stepping in when things got out of control. The layout of the forum has always been top shelf and a complete pleasure to navigate, and enjoy banter and friendships of all countries and cultures. Enjoy your retirement bOb, blessings my good friend! šŸ˜Š

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 10:58 pm    

Thanks bOb! You've gone above and beyond with this whole endeavor! Enjoy 'retirement'! Very Happy

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 11:28 pm    

Thanks for everything b0b!

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 11:29 pm    

You have been so successful in your creation and management of the steel guitar forum. I hope you enjoy your retirement. If the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame ever gets revived, I hope you are inducted as a member. You've done more than anyone in the world to bring people together to discuss steel guitar.

RC

Brian Lee

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 11:45 pm    

wOW bOb! Iā€™m an old guy whoā€™s a new guy here. The community and info resource you have built is truly remarkable! Iā€™ve learned so much and itā€™s such a great, respectful, civil, friendly and informative community thanks to your leadership. You can sure be proud of what youā€™ve accomplished, and we canā€™t thank you enough!!! Best wishes for the next step in your journey!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 11:48 pm    

the end of an era.

thank you so much and congratulations for what you've accomplished and provided all of us. a true community.

long live b0b and SGF !!!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 1:07 am    

Man... we'll miss you so much, Cap'n B0b!

Thanks for everything you've done over these many years. Can't even begin to say how much you've done for all of us.

I fear the internet is about to get worse.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 1:35 am    

Many kudos for a job well done !!! Your efforts have been an essential & appreciated part of the steel guitar community.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 3:10 am    

For years I only knew two other pedal steel pickers, when I discovered the forum I also discovered dozens more pickers in my very own hood. Changed many lives, what's not to like about that? Take care and if I make it back to the left edge I will be sure to look for you.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 3:15 am    

From one retiree to another, congratulations on a very successful venture. I remember when you came on the AOL group and promoted this.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:15 am    

when i first started playing pedal steel i didn't know anyone who played one, and i had never seen one before i owned my first. i would not be playing pedal steel if it wasn't for this forum. through the years of commenting, reading, sharing, discussing and debating i have seen almost zero drama, which is remarkable in the online world.

thank you, bOb.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:18 am    

Thanks for this wonderful Forum and for all I have learned here. You will be missed by us all. May you have a great retierment enjoy yourself.

Barry

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:22 am     b0b retiring

Thanks for everything b0b. As for retirement. It's been 4 years for me. I highly recommend it to anyone! Very Happy

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 4:31 am    

Thank you b0b. My life has been changed for the better because of you. Enjoy retirement.