The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelaire vs. Toneblock 202
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2022 10:53 am    

I would love to hear any comments and opinions concerning the differences between the two amps. I had a Steelaire rack mount but it wasn't for me. I'm considering a 202 but not if it's pretty much the same as the Steelaire.

Thanks

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2023 7:29 pm    

Hey George... I sent a PM to you. Hope you're well.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 3:45 am    

George

I had a Steelaire combo a few years back and didn't care for it. It was too bright for me and lacked a satisfactory bottom-end.

I was actually happier with my tone through my Roland 80xls.

Recently, and after having heard from a couple of good players who were very impressed with the TT-12, I took the plunge.

I don't pretend to understand how or why, but the 202 block in the TT 12" cabinet is the best steel amp I've had since my beloved Vibrosonic (15" Fender Twin in effect) I used in the '70s.

To think that all this range of tone and power comes from a unit that seems to weight next to nothing! In that respect, it beats my Vibrosonic by a mile.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 6:07 am    

I'll echo Roger, The TB202 teamed up with the Quilter Block Dock 12 enclosure and the Travis Toy 12 speaker (basically a Quilter TT12 combo amp) is the best steel amp I've had since a Twin Reverb amp I had in the 70's.

I'm one of those that talked Roger into the TT-12.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 7:10 am    

George:

In summary, let me add that I hear no similarity between the Steelaire and the TT-12. It's as though they're from different manufacturers!

I nearly bought Jack's TT-12 - I didn't meet his price which, in retrospect, was totally reasonable! He sold his locally then immediately regretted it and found another, I believe.

Russ Wever came to visit me in the Summer; he spoke of doing a steel-show somewhere and hearing another player's set being played through a TT-12. He was so taken with it that he asked if he could use the same rig!

On top of that, two good friends - Rick Schmidt and Dale Rottacker - spoke highly of the Quilter TT-12 and I was convinced.

It's impossible to get a bad tone from this amp!!!

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2023 12:13 pm     Tone block

I hope y'all are right, I just ordered one.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 9:16 am    

Hi Larry,

You'll be happy with your purchase I'm sure.

I just posted on this topic if you want to read about how I felt about the differences.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3128742#3128742

William Davis

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 10:01 am    

I'm looking hard at the TT12 Combo, but also interested in the Mach 3 for dual work and additional features. However, I especially don't want to sacrifice any steel tone. There are some good posts here on the Mach 3 itself, but has anyone done a side by side comparison of the two? Thanks.

Foster Haney

Ojai, CA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 10:04 am    

I have not myself. but am curious about the mach 3 of course.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 10:37 am    

William, there is an other thread that offers the Mach 3 vs the 202. As I remember, the 202 offered more low end and was the one he chose. Going from memory, so you know how that goes! Do a search and read all of the A/B’ing that went on.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2023 8:01 pm    

I got a TB202 in March of 2022. I got to much treble and could not get the amp. to sound right. I had to turn the Treble down to 0 or 1, I was using George L .155 cables.
I got a D'Addario Cable kit and made a set of cables. The heavier cables made a big difference. I now can adjust the TB202 and get the sound I want.

I also had trouble with an Evan's AH 200 that I could not get the sound I wanted. Now with the heavier D'Addario Cables I get the sound I want from it too.

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2023 7:21 pm    

George I owned two Steelaire Rack mounts. Paired to my Eminence Esp 15c cabs, as well as, SICA 15" cab. My sound always seemed sterile, I even tried different reverb pedals to add warmth and presence (my lame description).
I decided on a ToneBlock 202 based on 6 stringer reviews, BINGO...WOW, using the same cabs, I can now get that Twin Reverb sound....lush and warm.

Sold both Steelaire's and haven't looked back. I did ho back to regular guitar cords for connections. Changed from George L's to clean up the highs....just MTCW