The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Freddie Roulette
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 3:54 pm    

I have no details but read on Facebook that Freddie has left us. So sorry to hear this. Freddie was one of a kind; a unique stylist on the instrument and a total original who was beyond imitation. He was a great person to interview and our conversation remains memorable 20 years later. RIP.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 26 Dec 2022 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total

Peter Krebs

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 4:13 pm    

Dang. Heck of band happening somewhere beyond the veil. Always loved his music and the spirit that came through. RIP.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 6:37 pm    

Wow. I was just talking to a forum member Keith Cordell tonight about Freddie. Keith helped organize the fundraiser when Freddie's guitar was stolen and his equipment lost in a fire. He told me a lot about his interactions with Freddie. I don't think either of us had heard this news.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 6:45 pm    

RIP Freddie Roulette.......quite a unique player.....

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2022 8:24 pm    

I never knew him, but was aware of his unique styling of Steel Guitar playing. Keith Hilton of Hilton pedals was the first Steel Guitarist to make me aware of Freddie Roulette. He was very unique and gifted and like other Steel Guitar Greats had his own style. RIP Freddie Roulette!

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 8:21 am    

When he played the ISGC a few years back, b0b and I sat together near the front row and listened intently. I met him later on that trip as we were taking the same flight back to San Francisco. I'm sure I made myself out as a fanboy, but he answered my questions kindly.

I saw him several times in the area, once opening for David Lindley at the Fillmore with Steve Kimock accompanying him. He had a unique style and will be greatly missed.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 8:28 am    

Freddy was and is my musical spirit guide. I’m going to miss him. Look up the psychedelic guitar Circus on YouTube to see some of his most amazing work. The world is a poor place without him in it

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 8:32 am    

Keith, I really enjoyed our conversation about Freddie last night. Who knew that we would learn of his death right after?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 9:08 am    

Goodbye to a true individual. An icon. For me, Freddie’s playing always sounded like it was in some other ether. It’s the ones who are different who leave us a lifetime of listening and mystery. RIP.

I remember it was David Lindley who mentioned Freddie in Guitar Player back in the 80s and I sought his music out when I was just starting out. It was harder back then to score obscure music, but I managed to find Charlie Musselwhite’s “Memphis, Tennesse”. Amazing playing.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 10:39 am    

I first heard him on “Levitation “ with Harvey Mandel then with Charlie Musselwhite on “Memphis Tennessee “ and have never heard such amazing playing! So sad to hear of his passing.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 11:09 am    

Goodbye Mr.Roulette.

Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 1:43 pm    

There was only one Freddie Roulette. A totally individual player with a vision all his own. I was privileged to be his guitar player for one concert in Port Townsend WA. A quick story about that...

For a couple of years in the early 2000s I helped with the staffing and direction of a week long Slide & Steel Workshop under the auspices of the Centrum Foundation in Port Townsend. I wanted Freddie to come and teach but one of the things we debated was that his style and tuning was so unique, would anyone want to try and learn that? I convinced the admin to hire him but, as some folks had predicted, no one showed up for his classes! As the director,I didn't have any teaching responsibilities myself and I felt really bad about putting Freddie in that position of having no students, so I went to his class every day, sat with him, played tunes and he generously showed me anything I wanted. We had a great time just visiting and learning some tunes for the concert at the end of the week. He had several opportunities to play for folks during the week and everyone loved his playing. I was kind of surprised that no one wanted to learn from him but I just chalked it up to a great chance for me to get to know him and play with him. What a kind and knowledgeable man, a tremendous and utterly unque artist. I'm so glad I got to be with him for a short while.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 3:29 pm    

Thanks for that story, Orville! It's a shame that more players didn't avail themselves of learning from Freddie but I kind of understand it. I listen to Freddie play a chorus and most of the time, say to myself: what the hell was that? He was the king of a country of which he was the only subject.

Chance Wilson

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2022 6:25 pm    

I never met Freddie but back when we were in Hunter's Point before the internet, I always heard about him and tried to catch him on a few occassions. I remember someone telling me he rode the bus so I always hoped to see him waiting for one so I could corner him. His records were played so hard, it was hard to find one where the groove wasn't worn off. Everyone in the neighborhood spoke highly of him. Rest in Peace

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2022 8:44 am     Another master has passed on

So sad to read about Freddie’s passing. I’ve been a fan of him for decades.

Before I started playing PSG I dabbled with blues influenced bottle-neck slide guitar. At that time I was living in Chicago and received quite an ‘education’ in the local blues scene. That scene included frequent club dates by the likes of Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Butterfield’s blues band, Fast Fingers Jimmy Dawkins, Magic Sam and many, many others including Charlie Musselwhite and Freddie Roulette.

Here’s an appropriately titled song by Freddie:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zX06XkUhkbs

Keep on pickin’!
Glenn

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2023 12:01 pm    

Living in the Bay Area I got to see Freddie play a number of times, and with some great guitar players like Harvey Mandel and Henry Kaiser to name a couple.

Some of that stuff he did high up the neck reminded me of the sound it makes when you run a stick across the eve of a porch breaking ice sickles. Very unique!

Freddie was also a fan - one time we were at an outdoor show in Berkeley where Bobby Black was playing, and Freddie showed up with his tobacco pipe taking it all in and was visiting with Bobby after the show

I guess he didn’t know all the big dogs. I don’t think Jerry Douglas will mind if I share this story. Jerry told me a number of years ago after an Alison Krauss and Union Station concert that he was hanging out at a funky Berkeley landmark, Subway Guitars, presided over by the legendary owner, Fatdog, and in walks Freddie Roulette. Jerry introduced himself and even offered Freddie a pair of tickets to the concert at the Greek Theater later that evening. Freddie said thanks but no thanks, he had a birthday thing or something along those lines for a family member later.

Jerry knew all about Freddie, but he chuckled about the exchange and told me, “he had no idea who I am.” Laughing