The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boxing & Shipping Steels
Allen Sells

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 6:19 am    

I saw these boxes by U-Haul

I'm not sure how thick but looked like they would be a good start for packing a PSG.

https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Specialty-Boxes/Sport-Utility-Box/?id=8725

Let everyone know your Tips & Ideas

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 8:42 am    

I've had trouble with UPS actually more than Fedex about boxing up steel guitars that I've shipped. Although I don't buy or sell steel that often, I sometimes do it for friends. Several years ago, UPS would not honor the ship insurance I purchased because I packaged and boxed the steel myself. From then on, I've always had UPS box it up at one of their customer center stores.
I do the same with Fedex now.
Now I state in my for sale description that buyer pays for shipping, insurance, and box...

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2022 11:27 am     Shipping steel guitars

I have shipped several steel guitars using U-Haul boxes. The wardrobe under the bed boxes have always worked for me. The sports box you're referring to is long, but square, so it will not work for steel. It is designed for a bag of golf clubs or other long items, but not wide items. They have a good price on the filament packaging tape. You really need this kind of tape for heavy packages.

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 7:12 am    

I always use UPS, and have them pack it, and insure it , if you pack it, they will most likely blame you if something goes wrong, saying it wasn't packed right...

FYI....

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 9:36 am    

David Wright wrote:
I always use UPS, and have them pack it, and insure it , if you pack it, they will most likely blame you if something goes wrong, saying it wasn't packed right...

FYI....

exactly.. but there is always “experts” on here who know better , so I stopped trying to explain that to anyone anymore

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 10:10 am    

I should have read Duane post, pretty much saying the same thing...I had a D-10 MSA shipped to me for repair, ups, they dropped it, messed up case, and a some major damage to guitar, because he did just what I told him about shipping it, they paid him 4000 for the guitar, and he could keep it...

So........when your Wright, your Wright Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't give up Damir!!!!!.... theres still hope Shocked Shocked for Both of us!!!!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 10:20 am    

Well that's discouraging. My packing is way better than any freight agency will do. Hate to think about a valuable guitar being packed by some of those people.

I pack and deliver to the depot personally to try and keep shipping costs down. I don't think my steel sales would have gone through if I had to charge what the shipping companies packaging costs. Hurts to know they won't honor my superior packing.

The last few transactions were close enough I could meet a seller or buyer within a couple hundred mile round trip. No tedious packing or boxing involved but that is not always possible, of course.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 1:54 pm    

I've shipped a steel to/from rebuilder shop once, used this method: Surround guitar with bubble wrap and put into case. May pop a few bubbles but make it so the body can't move. Fill in all voids with bubble wrap and wadded newsprint, so that the case will barely close, keeping the contents in compression. Snap some photos as you go along. Take fully packed case to FedEx, ask them to pack it tightly in a cardboard carton intended for golf clubs. Pull out your credit card, insure for full value, and proceed. When it was returned to me (same method) it was undamaged and still in tune.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 2:39 pm    

I know how to pack 'em good and use some of your instructions as well as take photos of the sequence, but what the fellas here are saying is that if the shipper doesn't do the packing, they won't pay for any damage/declared value.

Things do happen, no matter what.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 2:42 pm    

I always pack myself. The insurance FedEx or UPS sells you will not cover any item of unusual value, such as a vintage instrument.
Do not trust the UPS store or Kinkos/FedEx to pack.
Pad everywhere inside the case so nothing moves or rattles. Use 2 cutoff lengths of 2x4 to block the pedal rack and leg compartment so the partition wall does not get dislodged. You may also use scraps of the 2 inch insulation board wedged wherever they may fit.
If possible, use an original pedal steel box that fits firmly around the Thomas case, for example.
Around that cardboard box make a box comprised of 2 inch insulation foam board. Make sure the side pieces are 8 inches longer than the length of the case (2x4) so you can doubly protect/pad the ends of the case. make sure the side pieces are 4 inches (2x2) than the height of the case.
Bind the insulation board firmly with that stretchy, self sticking packing clear plastic wrap that comes in rolls and you stretch/wind around objects.
Form a separate cardboard box to tightly wrap around your entire project.
GLUE the flaps of this box and just use tape to hold the flaps in place as they dry.
If you are too lazy to glue the box, at least use the packing tape that is reinforced with fibers.
Packing this way you will only need insurance for loss. Use Heritage insurance.
Use GreyHound next bus out direct if possible and the weather is not freezing or too hot. Your guitar or amp will never be more than 18 inches off the ground and such careful packing won't be necessary. The cost is like FedEx 2nd Day Air.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2022 3:10 pm    

I've received a few steels with minimal packing and they survived I'm sure by beating the odds. The way I pack them adds some weight and lot of volume and about $35 in packing costs not to mention the time spent packing.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Shipping%20Steels/Shipping%20Steels.html

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Shipping%20Amps/Shipping%20Amps.html

Extra support between the pedal and steel partitions is a good idea as that partition is easily damaged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger