The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D-10 Non-Pedal Steel Console with Benders NEW PRICE
Chuck Hamilton

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 7:30 am    

This is a one-of-a kind custom built guitar, built by Dan Campbell of Caladesi Guitars, with Certano Benders on both necks, brand new hardshell case, and legs. I have the top neck tuned standard E9 with benders raising string 6 a half step and string 5 a whole step, like the AB pedals on a pedal steel guitar. The bottom neck is tuned to C6 and the benders raise A and C a half step each, which can be used to get an A7, Adim, or C minor. The guitar is basically new as I never used it outside my home. The case and benders are also brand new and alone retail for a total of over $500. I'm asking $1,200 (was $1,500) plus shipping and insurance (if you want it). Email me if you prefer at chuck.hamilton.tx@gmail.com.

Last edited by Chuck Hamilton on 6 Feb 2024 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2022 8:35 am    

Beautiful instrument.

Chuck Hamilton

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2022 11:44 am    

New price.

Chuck Hamilton

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2024 10:51 am    

I live about 15 minutes from the site of the Dallas Jamboree, you can pick this up while you are here and save shipping! Will consider any reasonable offers.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2024 5:06 pm    

What kind of pickups are those? Are there any sound clips of this instrument? Or any Caladesi guitars for that matter?

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 2:30 am    

Do I assume right that the palm actuators can be repositioned to any string, as they seem just screwed in against the end of the body?
They only raise and cannot lower, or can they be set up to lower too?

What is the scale length of that guitar?

Guitar has legs, if so sitting height only or also standup?

Do you have sound files, you tubes where we can hear her?

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Chuck Hamilton

Flower Mound, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2024 7:16 pm    

Hi JD, I am out of town this week but when I get home, I will get you the information you asked for and send you some recordings. Dan Campbell at Caladesi guitars built this specifically for me and my request was that he make it as identical to a pedal steel D-10 as possible, with the same scale length, string spacing, everything.

The palm benders are only capable of raising a string, but can raise it either 1/2 step or a whole step. On the C6 neck, I raise string four and three and in that way can get a diminished chord or a dominant chord using C string as a root. On the E9 neck, I raise string six a half step and string five a whole step to simulate the AB pedals. I believe you can move them wherever you want to. If you have any questions, the best guy to ask is Dan Campbell and he’s a super nice guy and would be glad to talk to you. He did really good work on this guitar too.

I believe the legs can telescope to a length enabling you to stand up and play it, but I will double check that when I get home.

The case is brand new and Dan custom fit the interior to the guitar.

PS I have taken your saying about tabs to heart and never ever look at a tab if I can avoid it. I like to try to figure things out by ear, and in that way I am far more likely to learn something from the process and remember how to play what I figured out. Thank you for your insight on that! When I first started playing, I was totally dependent on Tab and that was a real limitation.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2024 4:46 am    

Chuck Hamilton wrote:
Hi JD, I am out of town this week but when I get home, I will get you the information you asked for and send you some recordings. Dan Campbell at Caladesi guitars built this specifically for me and my request was that he make it as identical to a pedal steel D-10 as possible, with the same scale length, string spacing, everything.

The palm benders are only capable of raising a string, but can raise it either 1/2 step or a whole step. On the C6 neck, I raise string four and three and in that way can get a diminished chord or a dominant chord using C string as a root. On the E9 neck, I raise string six a half step and string five a whole step to simulate the AB pedals. I believe you can move them wherever you want to. If you have any questions, the best guy to ask is Dan Campbell and he’s a super nice guy and would be glad to talk to you. He did really good work on this guitar too.

I believe the legs can telescope to a length enabling you to stand up and play it, but I will double check that when I get home.

The case is brand new and Dan custom fit the interior to the guitar.

PS I have taken your saying about tabs to heart and never ever look at a tab if I can avoid it. I like to try to figure things out by ear, and in that way I am far more likely to learn something from the process and remember how to play what I figured out. Thank you for your insight on that! When I first started playing, I was totally dependent on Tab and that was a real limitation.

Thanks for the kind words, Chuck. I fell into the same trap decades ago and it took Maurice Anderson to get me out of it. Playing "by ear" requires two things:
1 organizing the neck (understanding the tuning in one chord all over the neck) and thus some basic understanding of "theoriES" and USING the EARS and putting both together. Maurice used to say "it's not practice that makes you perfect, but PERFECT practice".

About that guitar, I will be very honest and thus I am answering here... I am still debating if I am considering buying this guitar. I was hoping to find an S10 with 5 pedals and a bunch of levers... just to have a 10 string. I like the idea of having a STAND up guitar, because I currently practice 2 to 5 hrs each day, and sitting is causing me chiropractor bills.
A D10 would allow me to have C6th and another tuning with some tri-tone intervals on the other, so to have access to all chord qualities.
I would still first need to know the scale length and would love to hear sound files if there are any floating around. So, if someone steps ahead, please don't feel like intend to stand my ground on "I am first in line".
So, if it sells, it sold.

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.