The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carbon Fiber Weissenborns
John Viterito

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 9:07 am    

Anyone know about Emerald Guitars, specifically their carbon fiber Weissenborns? I just discovered these yesterday, have one in the cart, and am fighting like hell not to give in and hit the "Pay" button. Man, these things are beautiful and unique (not to mention pricey).

https://emeraldguitars.com/models/solace/

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 9:28 am    

HowardR has two. I have played his. Fantastic instrument. Absolutely gorgeous beautiful sounding instrument. I would contact Howard to see what extras he got

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2022 11:02 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=381880&highlight=emerald

John Haspert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2022 8:41 pm     Emerald Guitars

There is only 2 problem I see with these……They are TOO Beautiful and I want more than 1. These are Stunning! Like Lays Potato Chips…..you can’t have just one.

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2022 4:46 am    

Those are beautiful!

Btw, Jim Anderson has Reso’s built with carbon fiber. They’re gorgeous. I’m trying to get over to his place to play them.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2022 6:26 am    

Oh boy…..I never saw these before! Thanks guys haha!
I just went online and bought this….was gonna sell a few things anyway. I intend to try putting a Hipshot Doubleshot on it. Will report back on that.

While we’re on the subject - I also just had this 7 string thin body made for me by Jack Stepick in NJ. Considerably less expensive but still very nice. I’m on a ROLL.

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

HowardR

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2022 12:23 pm     Re: Carbon Fiber Weissenborns

John Viterito wrote:
have one in the cart, and am fighting like hell not to give in and hit the "Pay" button.

Don't keep us hanging......did you pull the trigger?.....

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2022 11:25 am    

Oh dear.............
My gosh those are beautiful.
I've decided I need one and I need it yesterday.

Can anyone tell me what the approximate amount for shipping and import taxes might be?
Asking for a friend.... Wink
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 3:18 am    

Larry Carlson wrote:
Oh dear.............
Can anyone tell me what the approximate amount for shipping and import taxes might be?
Asking for a friend.... Wink

Nobody can answer that without knowing where you are and where the guitar is coming from. Try contacting the seller and ask them for a quote. Good luck!

K Maul

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 5:17 am    

When I bought mine shipping was included in the price. I haven’t heard anything about import duties as of this writing.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

HowardR

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 11:05 am    

Same here......shipping was included in the price and there were no additional fees......it's about a 3 month period for a build.......

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2022 1:47 pm     Emerald Solace in inventory

Looks like there are several available now. Here's a link:

K Maul

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2022 4:49 am    

Yes I was lucky. They had 3-4 ready to go and one had just the color and pickup I wanted.
I HAD to buy it, honest!!

K Maul

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2022 12:39 pm    

My Solace arrived today via USPS. No additional fees or taxes. It took less than a week! It is even more beautiful than I envisioned from the website. I have not used it in a live situation but I love the Ghost pickup. I may use it tomorrow and will report.
Here are more shots from the website.

John Viterito

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2022 3:47 pm     Re: Carbon Fiber Weissenborns

HowardR wrote:
John Viterito wrote:
have one in the cart, and am fighting like hell not to give in and hit the "Pay" button.

Don't keep us hanging......did you pull the trigger?.....

Couldn't do it..... I chickened out.......... Sad

K Maul

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 6:16 am    

Final report: I’m very happy I got mine when I did (on sale around $700 off usual price). The GHOST bridge pickup is among the best I’ve heard of that type. I used it on a job last week and will use it tonight. I run it through a Fishman Aura Spectrum on the Dreadnaught image(about 50/50 image/pickup balance) and love it. My bands and the audiences are captivated by the look and sound of it.
I decided against trying a Hipshot Double Shot on it to change on the fly between D(dadf#ad) and G(gbdgbd) tunings. I didn’t want to drill a hole above the end strap button to mount it. I think it also may adversely affect pressure on the bridge pickup and resonance of the top vibration.
For bands I use this with I either leave it in D or low bass G and change 5th string to A on a few tunes to get the modal D power chord for rhythm and backing parts. I have yet to try a C6 or B6 tuning on it.

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 8:23 am    

Thanks for the report Kevin. I think it is a smart move not to add the Hipshot to the Solace. Made me cringe when I read you were thinking of adding it!

The Stepnick, are you planning on keeping it?

K Maul

Post  Posted 9 Dec 2022 9:05 am    

Yes because I just got the 7 string. I actually have three Stepicks. A regular six string, a baritone and this new one. I have the Doubleshot on my main dobro which I use a lot. I have an extra one kicking around and will find SOMETHING to put it on I’m sure.

Paul Gambon

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2022 8:16 am    

Beautiful instrument! I almost pulled the trigger on that one, but decided to get a Paddy Burgin instead. The price was about the same. No regrets, but…. I’m scheming on getting a Emerald!