The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it too late to start learning pedal steel?
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 2:49 am    

I'm 64 and I've been playing guitar since 1969. I made a living at it for many years, and I know a ton of theory. I also play fiddle, mando, keys, and the last 5 years have really spent a lot of time on 8 string lap steel/non-pedal console steel (https://youtu.be/9FmrfyzxoGw)

I've always wanted to get a pedal steel and learn my way around on it. But I'm wondering if at my age it's too late to start that journey. Pedal steel has to be the most complicated instrument on the planet. While I pretty much taught myself how to play the other instruments I gig on, I think I'd need to find a teacher to jump start my playing pedal steel.

How many years would you expect it to take a seasoned professional musician to get to a performance level on pedal steel?

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 4:29 am    

I started at 63 3 1/2 years ago and have played bass in bands for 40 years or so! I have been playing in a band the last few months.

With your lap steel and other instrument experience I would encourage you to give it a go! It’s a great ride.

Ben Thomas

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 4:31 am    

Hi David,
You’re way ahead of the curve already with your lap steel experience and years of theory and all the other instruments you play. I’ll give you an unseasoned perspective. I started last year at age 40, and I sit here roughly 1.5 years later and every preconceived notion I had has been wiped away. I wanted to play PSG for many years but just assumed it was too complicated, always thinking of the combination of 10 strings and all pedals and levers as a unit, necessary to master and play all in order to effectively play PSG. What I actually found is that the intervals I knew well from other instruments(mostly bass guitar) translated perfectly to PSG, except I now had many choices of where to play the 1 chord. Choice here being freeing, not overwhelming. I started learning 1, 4, 5 and 6minor chords in a single position and then quickly realized that I could expand my knowledge and options as quickly or slowly as I felt comfortable. And those pedal and levers that I was previously intimidated by became my best friends on the instrument.

Speaking as someone who has been in a similar position as you and with my limited 1.5 years of experience I can confidently encourage you to take the plunge. I’ve played piano, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, trumpet, and drums in my life and PSG is far and way the most enjoyable and fulfilling music instrument for me.

I started with a Carter Starter which served my purposes to get initially established with the idea of the instrument: 10 strings, the common grips, the ABC pedals, E raises and lowers, bar control/intonation and vibrato. As I started to build my comfort level on the instrument I started to notice the changes that I didn’t have but wanted. Also, highly recommend signing up for Travis Toy Tutorials as an awesome tool for the beginner, taught by one of the best out there.

A couple of months ago I was able to purchase a new Encore PSG from Doug Earnest and I now have all the changes and features that I was building up to “deserve” from all of my hours of practice and I know that there’s nothing I hear on E9 PSG that I can’t play with this setup.

I hope you decide to jump in and go for it. No need to worry about the time you don’t have from years gone by because you have so many potential enjoyable hours ahead. With what you already know you’ll be making the sounds that draw all of us in to this amazing instrument in no time.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 4:53 am    

I am 68 and just started playing pedals a month ago. I wake up every morning excited to play and practice and I keep that excitement until I go to bed. Just do it.

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Oct 2022 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 5:52 am    

David,

Go for it.... you are not too old. I am going to be 84 in November and just started playing psg about a year ago.

My advice would be to get one that is in GOOD condition, not an attic relic like I did.
Spent most my time being a mechanic to get the steel working, which was a real learning curve but curtailed my learning to play. Now I play it everyday, learning something new. I am not aware of any instructors in my immediate area so I am glued to this forum and you tube for my instructions.

Go for it you're still young and it is well worth the time to learn.

As far as playing out, you will know when you are ready.

Sam

Fred

Amesbury, MA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 6:25 am    

When I first started playing with pedals I took the pedal steel to the first rehearsal after I got it. Instead of the lap steel. When I got confused I just moved my left foot back a bit and it turned into a console steel.

One caveat is I've never played country or western swing and the people I play with had no expectations.

Fred

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 6:26 am    

OK, I'm encouraged!

Thanks guys!

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 6:31 am    

Never too late, David! Chris

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 8:00 am    

I would say there are pedal and lever combinations that do take a lot of practice to get the muscles to 'feel right' instead of 'feeling awkward'. But playing lap steel & being a musician helps enormously. Proficiency might take two years. But there are rewarding moments to be had immediately. Go with your heart & play what you like to play.

Last edited by Richard Alderson on 23 Oct 2022 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 8:57 am    

I'm an experienced musician who started pedal steel at 62

It took me a couple of years to be good enough to perform and another couple to get confident. I wish I'd started sooner, but like so many I didn't have the time or the money. Now I look forward to seeing how good I can get in the time I have left! Smile

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 9:20 am    

I think a really experienced musician can start pedal steel at any time. Especially if you have several years in on non-pedal steel. Beyond that, progress depends on how much work ya' want to put into it. And also - to me, the pedals actually make many things easier, not harder. Yes, additional things to learn, but well worth learning, IMO.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 2:27 pm    

As they say in French: Il n’est jamais trop tard pour bien faire !

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 8:28 pm    

Hi David, I am 53 and started almost 5 years ago. Like you, I've been a musician by trade (although on a tuba which is quite different) and also plenty of theory in college. Now I'm in a couple of bands, play regularly, and people really dig it. I'm wise enough to know where I'm at but will strive to sound like a professional.

I've seen countless musicians go from zero to hero in a four year degree. Also, how many great players do we know of in their 70's, 80's, and beyond? So age is not the thing, just time and how much you want to work at it.

It is the most complicated instrument-go tame that beast.

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 8:33 pm    

I have seen some say that the PSG is the most difficult instrument to learn... I would not say so. It IS DIFFERENT! I can't argue that, but not the "most difficult" to learn.

You "finger" the normal guitar with your hands, but finger the pedal steel with your feet and knees. Different, yes, but not the "most difficult" to learn. And the licks you know on other instruments will, in time, transfer to the PSG.

By all means: Have at it! ....Pat
I started at 56.
"Zero to Hero.", I like that one, Jon.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2022 9:11 pm    

Pat is right - it's just different. I had previously played trombone, bass guitar and clarinet - none of which provided me with any transferable skills!

So I just had to start from scratch again - no big deal Smile

[Having thought about it a little more, I can see a connection with the trombone in the ear-brain-hand servo loop that handles intonation. Also on the clarinet all three right hand fingers have equal status, and I've always used three finger picks on the steel.]

David Dorwart

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 5:28 am    

No. It will give you purpose in retirement.

David Farrell

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 10:36 am    

Go for it! It's a blast to play. I learned my 1-4-5 & I was off to the races after that.

Fender pedal steels, amps & guitars. '73 Sho~Bud PRO 1 CUSTOM. Emmons ReSound'65 S-10 4x5.

Jeannette Petty

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 5:51 pm    

I turned 65 last August. I started playing the accordion, cordovox, when I was 5 years old. My Dad encouraged my sisters & I to learn all we could. I learned to play the fiddle for square dances and the base guitar in a band. I decided since my Dad could play the pedal steel guitar, I'd give it a try. I'm having a blast. It's been 5 months and I'm on a roll. I think you should go for it!!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2022 5:52 pm    

If you have good chord theory and flexabillity in ankles and hands' go for it. RP

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 4:12 am    

The thing I have the most trouble with is transitioning from ‘thinking like a guitar player’ to ‘thinking like a steel player.’

Otherwise my time with pedal steel (just a few months, already gigging with it) is enjoyable and taking my 6 string adventures into new uncharted areas

Go for it

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 5:51 am    

I started five years ago at age 70, three years in I was playing two paid gigs per week.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 7:55 am     Go for it.

Looks like you're not the only one who got the itch later in life. I too got it a few years ago at the age of 63,after 45 years of guitar pickin. Started with a lapsteel for a year,then dove in to pedals headfirst,and haven't looked back. 2 years in, I'm playing it with a Gospel group, having a ball. With your background,you'll ease in with no problem. Like has been mentioned, once you get the pedals and brain connection down,you'll probably find it easier than lapsteel, I did. Seems like pedal steel is kind of an end of the rainbow type scenario for a lot of us, you dont see too many long time steelers aching to play regular 6 string guitars!😁

David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 10:47 am    

OK, I'm convinced - and encouraged!

Now I just need to look under the couch cushions for the spare change to buy a pedal steel!

Once I find the cash I'll be coming back here for advice on buying a pedal steel. I'm hoping I can get a D-10.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 11:04 am    

One thing I discovered the hard way is to make sure you find a steel with legs that fit you. You really need to almost be fitted for a steel because so much depends on reaching the pedals and knee levers easily. If it is too high or too low, that can be a problem.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 10:02 pm    

I don't believe age should be the determining factor. You are an experienced musician. That will help. However, if the steel speaks to you, if you can't get it out of your head, if you have the desire and determination and can afford the cost, those are what matter.