The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String noise
Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 10:39 am    

For the past couple of months, I've been noticing a lot of extraneous string noise from the unpicked strings which I could swear wasn't there before. It's definitely more pronounced with the wound strings 8,9,10. Lowering the pre-gain on my P112 helps a little but still very noticeable at higher volumes. I've tried different cables and volume pedals and still the same. Any ideas?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 1:45 pm    

Normally, good muting techniques and bar skills will go a long way towards reducing this problem, but other factors can also enter into the equation. Are you using stainless steel strings? (They're a lot noisier than the nickel type.) You may also notice more noise if you use a stainless steel bar instead of a chrome-plated one.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jul 2022 6:53 pm    

Does your guitar have gaged rollers? Has the guitar been worked on lately? Has the Nut Rollers been removed for cleaning or service about the time the noise started? Could be a roller got installed in the wrong slot and is holding the bar up so the strings are rattling against the bar.

Good Luck finding the problem and cure quickly and Happy Steelin.

Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2022 3:36 am    

Donny - I don’t think my technique has changed and I didn’t have the problem prior to a couple months ago. I’m using SIT Buddy Emmons (nickel plated) strings and a BJS bar.

Bobby - I play a Mullen RP, which has the black anodized rollers. Other than changing strings, no work has been done to the guitar. Interestingly I didn’t have the problem prior to the sting change but I replaced them with the same SIT BE strings. Also, I’m getting the same noise on the C6 neck and those strings haven’t been changed in a while. It has the SIT BE strings too.

I had a Jackson Maverick which I just sold and it didn’t have the problem. It had D’Addario XL strings.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 9:15 am     string buZZ

Hey Ron, How do you like VA...?
The Mullen sounded great before I Sold it to you.
Make sure your bar is solidly down on the the lower strings.
If it isn't you'll hear string rattle.
Your Florida ex_ steel teacher,
Don

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 2:30 pm    

To decrease string noise, its helpful to have the thumb of the bar-hand down, slightly touching those lower strings as you slide around. Most folks have fingers touching the strings behind the bar -- but I think some players don't do the thumb thing in front to the bar.

Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2023 6:49 am    

Hi Don,
VA is great, good to be back home!. Re; the string noise issue, that's an old post long since resolved. You're right the Mullen still sounds fantastic.
Ron