The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inherited a Dekley S10 - Pics added
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 3:19 pm    

Nice day today. Had a nice day today. I inherited a Dekley S10 pedal steel guitar 3p/4k, Peavey Nashville 112 amp, Boss GT-10 effects unit, some letters that Noel Boggs had written to someone (can't wait to start reading them)and some memorabilia from my days with Desert Star, like one of our tour jackets and a rhinestone shirt that we wore when performing in Nashville. These belonged to one of my best friends that passed away a few months ago. He was the guitar player in the full set video I posted a couple of days ago on Facebook (YouTube link below. It's a whole 50 minute set of good playing. I think I played the best during this period of my 50+ year career 1983). His wife and daughter decided they wanted me to have them. His wife and her sister drove from California to Montana to deliver them to me. I thought they were coming on one of their many trips to visit family here. Turns out they only made the trip to bring this stuff to me. I am completely blown away that they would do that.

I need to change it over to my Day setup, or I may make it into a dedicated C6 guitar.

I need undercarriage pics. See photo in post below. The bell cranks on pedals 1 & 2 don't look right to me. They are really angled towards the changer end as opposed to other pedals and levers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4seZ-t2Ac

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 7 Jun 2022 3:48 pm; edited 4 times in total

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 3:35 pm    

Sorry you lost your friend but that is an awesome thing his wife did for you. Enjoy the guitar and think of your friend while you play it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 7:21 pm    

Richard that is a wonderful story. What a great day and some fabulous thoughtful friends. You have to be bubbling over. Nice to be remembered and loved.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 5:23 am    

Pic of bell cranks. Never worked on a Dekley before.

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 7:25 am     Dekley Manual

Have you downloaded the Dekley owners manual off the Carter steel guitar site? Just Google Dekley owners manual and you can download it. It shows how to set everything up in detail. If you are still stuck let me know and I will flip mine over and get you whatever pics you need, and probably throw my back out doing it.....heavy for an sd10. They are pretty simple. Let me know

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 8:02 am    

Thanks Brett. I'll get the manual.

Right about the weight. I don't have a scale, but this S10 feels pretty close to my D10 Carter.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 10:52 am    

There is a thing in mechanical engineering that a lever takes less power to actuate at 0 point on, Compared to power needed at 90 degrees to pull direction. Someone may being using the strange angle to lessen pressure on the floor pedal. It also makes the travel faster on the pull.
But it does look strange and out of place.
Good Luck with your new senimental play toy.

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 3:10 pm    

I've got one in the shop now.

Just finished working on it. It didn't need much and appears to be bullet proof. Pretty interesting the way it is made with stamped plate that is resistance welded together.

Let me know what pictures you need. It is a really decent guitar.

Patrick.

Brett Hansen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2022 3:21 pm    

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 10:47 am     Needed Parts??? Maybe not.

Hey Richard, it looks like you just need to loosen the hex-head locking screw on the pedal bell crank (as well as the hex-head set screws on the changer pull rod bell cranks), then rotate the cross shaft to re-position the bell cranks vertically, then tighten all those hex-head screws.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 2:38 pm    

I agree with Tom Bradshaw's advice but will also add, you really need to lean into the allen wrench when tightening the bellcrank to the cross shaft. I mean, really lean into it. The bellcrank will continue to slip until the allen screw is really tight. I was afraid I would either strip the inside or snap the head off.

I have some work planned for my Dekley and this time around I'll consider drilling a shallow indent, once the bellcrank is in the correct position (remove the allen screw and use the bellcrank hole as a guide). May be better than over tightness/slippage issue.

Good luck with it, they are great guitars!

Tom Jordan

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 3:50 pm    

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 7:25 pm    

Beautiful guitar with memories included.
Steel many memories on that beauty.

Willem Langeveld

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 9:31 pm    

That is a pre-slimline model. I have one of those too, except it’s a 12-string - you can see that the key head on this one has room for two more tuners. Also mine has 5 pedals (4 knees). And I replaced the pickup with an Alumitone, which I can “coil-split” with a switch. All in all a good steel. If only it wasn’t quite so heavy, and I’d prefer an SD. Maybe someday, now that I’m retired… Smile

Willy.
Dekley S12 5-4 with Alumitone PU, Telonics Pro volume pedal, Peterson StroboPlus HD tuner, Peavey Nashville 112 with Strymon Big Sky reverb or Headrush Pedalboard with my own pedal steel patch, or Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb with Strymon Big Sky through the normal channel.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 9:15 am    

Richard,

You might find some useful Dekley info here:

https://b0b.com/wp/home/dekley-info/

Bill

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 11:20 am    

This won't be my gigging guitar, so weight won't be an issue. I have my Carter D10 for that. Need both necks in my band. I might leave this one where my band rehearses.