The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is this stuff on Buddy Emmons' changer?
Dale Lee

Down Yonder
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 2:14 pm    

This picture is for the cover of Mr. Fishell's forthcoming book. I asked about the apparatus in his thread about the cover picture, but I got no conclusive response.

I am still curious about it. Can anyone say what it is?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 3:19 pm    

I think the idea was to create an entirely artificial Buddy Emmons, but it relied on really powerful thunderstorms and only worked properly in Transylvania

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 3:23 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
I think the idea was to create an entirely artificial Buddy Emmons, but it relied on really powerful thunderstorms and only worked properly in Transylvania

Now that's funny

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 3:30 pm    

Looks like 3 extra pickups with swivels and separate audio cables perhaps for a midi feed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 3:43 pm    

It's the three pickups that plug into the infamous Emmons String Machine:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372956&highlight=emmons+string+machine

Dale Lee

Down Yonder
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 6:45 pm     Thank you Jack Hanson

It seems it was to make the steel sound like fiddles.

But what about the bars wrapped with what looks like black electricians tape. What is that?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 6:46 pm    

bingo. it's the Emmons String Machine, devised by Buddy. same guitar and apparatus on his "rainbow" album cover, and used on Canon in D Major.

more info here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=334313&sid=5d8009f796820551ea45ad399d577d5f

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 8:05 pm    

String Machine: If I recall, it was three individual pole pickups that could be positioned over selected strings and probably used three individual Boss Tone fuzz boxes to create a string section? Maybe it wasn't effective enough to get past the initial model?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Last edited by Dennis Detweiler on 7 May 2022 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 6:26 am    

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 8:39 am    

Evidently it was produced to sell! I wonder if anyone is still using one of them?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 11:43 am    

I've seen a couple for sale recently
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=372956&highlight=string+machine

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 12:35 pm    

From www.buddyemmons.com

Re: Emmons String Machine (triple fuzz w/ pickups)
Date: 17 Mar 2002

Comments

…as for the String Machine, I can't say how many were made as I was not in the business end of the Emmons Guitar Company, but at best it was relatively few.

I don't remember the exact year they came out but I used it on a 1975 recording so it would have to have been a year or so before that.

The Foxx Tone Machine was my choice because of it being the distortion unit I was using for my work at the time.

I have no recollection of the settings or functions. I used it solely for string sounds. Three rods mounted vertically on the end of my guitar, and attached to those rods were three horizontal rods with single pole pickups that swiveled over the strings I chose for the harmonies. Most of the time I used strings 4, 6, and 10 for wide inversions and a fatter sound.

I used it mostly for demo sessions but the song I mentioned above was “Canon in D Major” on the Flying Fish label. The album title is Buddy Emmons / Steel Guitar and referred to it as the "Rainbow Album."

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2022 11:18 am    

String machine aside, photos from this session are the only time I have ever seen Buddy behind an S12. Apparently he used it on the rainbow album on at least a tune or two. Did he ever play an S12 on gigs?
I wonder if set up this S12 and the string machine just for Canon in D?