The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Acoustic 7 string build
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 8:22 am    

I'm working on a 7 string square neck acoustic Hawaiian. Actually have been for quite a while, but had to take a break from it to get my previous house on the market, moved out and sold. But I'm back to it now. I modeled a 7 string pyramid bridge in CAD a couple of days ago, and cut it today out of a piece of Brazilian Rosewood I had been saving for just such an event.

Dave

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 1:40 pm    

I am a bit worried about the leverage from the elevated steel strings on that top?
Can't way to hear her sing!

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 1:51 pm    

J D Sauser wrote:
I am a bit worried about the leverage from the elevated steel strings on that top?

... J-D.

Understandable. But it's no different than a Weissenborn or the old Martin (and other) Hawaiians though. The height of the saddle isn't much different than on a regular flat top--you compensate with neck angle (not nearly as much angle as on a round neck--flat to maybe "backwards" cant to the neck) to get the strings higher over the fingerboard without making the bridge ridiculously high, which definitely could cause problems for the top.

You can't string them as heavy as a Reso--I use medium guitar strings. I love the tone of these guitars. I built a six stringer like this last year, and it sounds great.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 2:56 pm    

I also have built an acoustic dobro style guitar.
Mine was made from scrap wood in the shop, The body (don't laugh) is Luan mahagnoy.
The neck is Idunno but it is holding up.
When
I built this I knew very little about required bracing placement and reason so i only ribbed the top for body support. It has a neat tone but not so loud....was told because I didn't put ribs on the back for the required vibration, but a sound hole pick up works well.
I tune it to open D to reduce neck stress but have had it up to E. Sounds better in D.
If I find a picture i'l try to post it

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 8:11 pm    

David Ball wrote:
J D Sauser wrote:

... J-D.

Understandable. But it's no different than a Weissenborn or the old Martin (and other) Hawaiians though. The height of the saddle isn't much different than on a regular flat top--you compensate with neck angle (not nearly as much angle as on a round neck--flat to maybe "backwards" cant to the neck) to get the strings higher over the fingerboard without making the bridge ridiculously high, which definitely could cause problems for the top.

You can't string them as heavy as a Reso--I use medium guitar strings. I love the tone of these guitars. I built a six stringer like this last year, and it sounds great.

Makes sense.

You are aware of Selmer Maccferri French Steel String Jazz guitars that did come out a "Modele Hawaiien"?
They used Selmer's tail piece. Only few and most saw their necks exchanged or sanded down as the guitars became valuable. I never heard one "slid", so I can't say how good or not they sounded. They are commanding Jazz guitars with a punch and growl beyond any other design, however.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.