The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Pedal Steel shop in Seattle
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 5:25 am    

Well I guess that's how timing works... When we lived over there I avoided Seattle as MUCH as possible. And NOW having moved to the other side of the State, it appears there's FINALLY something worth going to Seattle for Sad Confused Crying or Very sad Wink Winking
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 11:44 pm     I was there and didn't know!

I was there and didn't know!
My son and I just two weeks ago had an 11 hour layover at SeaTac on the way to Saigon.
We thought of going into Seattle, but couldn't think of where to go.
Thought about going to see my friends at the Luthiers Guild in Tacoma, but then decided against it.
If I'd known about you I would have rented a car to come see your shop.
Going back through Seattle next week but only a two hour layover on the return to Springfield, OR.

Best of luck with your shop. The North West can sure use a Steel Guitar shop. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Peter Wilson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:35 am    

Congrats from Kirkland - I'm looking forward to visiting when you are open.

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 8:04 pm    

Well, I'm open.

Just spent 4 days at the Wintergrass festival in Bellevue Washington at a public service booth among the vendors with 9 pedal steel guitars. Had to leave a few at home due to the restrictions of a minivan (which got a flat tire at the loading dock for the venue....). I'm beat. Lots of fun, but a lot of work. Just ordered pizza for the kids... Too tired to cook.

The organizer of the event (Bruce) named my booth, the "Pedal Steel Petting Zoo".

We had a little intro session teaching people the basics of pedal steel taught by John James Tourville of the Deslondes. https://www.deslondes.com/

Many thanks to John for teaching the workshop. He plays way better than me and a great guy to boot. His son had his 8th birthday the day before. This was the first stop on his tour.

I probably taught about 150 people how to play a 1, 4, 5, song on Pedal steel. I added the minor 3rd for people who need a little bit of sadness on top.

I had a huge amount of help from Damon Logan (who also probably taught at least 100 people how to play a 1,4,5, song). Damon is super enthusiastic about promoting pedal steel guitar.

Pat McHenry stopped by for a while to help out at the booth but he couldn't stay long since his band was the talent for the grand opening of a new "Boot Barn" in town. I don't know how much more country you can get than opening the new local Boot Barn.

Here is Damon teaching a potential pedal steel player the basics before the booth was technically open. I forgot to try to take pics when every steel was being played. Sounded like cats being strangled everywhere. Very Happy

Met a couple of forum members that stopped by. So great to put faces to the names I see here on the forum.

My voice is shot for speaking for 4 days straight, but all in all, it was a great time!

My friend Damon has put together a website for me. Still a work in progress...

Gowestpedalsteelguitars.com

More to come!

Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 9:32 pm    

Really great to meet Patrick and see his set up of pedal steels at the Wintergrass bluegrass festival in Bellevue, Washington.

So great to have expert steel repair in my backyard! Glad to steer a friend Patrick’s way for help with knee levers for his ShoBud.

One unintentionally, funny coincidence was where Patrick’s booth was set up. Right next-door was the spinal health clinic booth. I guess it’s appropriate as he had a heavy double neck Emmons steel guitar along with his lighter weight single neck petting zoo.

Continued success, Patrick!

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2023 10:43 pm    

Wow Patrick! That Pedal Steel booth/workshop/Petting-Zoo looks great! What a FINE THING to be exposing people to PSG!!!
Super cool Cool Cool Cool

I sure hope to make it to Washington this year, and when I do I"ll visit your shop.

Paul Brainard

Portland OR
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 1:34 pm     Knee levers

Patrick, curious if you still have or can make some more of those "dog leg" knee levers from earlier in this thread? Sent you a PM. Look forward to seeing what you are up to up there sometime!

Matthew Murray

Rathdrum, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 3:36 pm    

Would have loved to go, to bad I am just hearing about it now.

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 3:41 pm    

Thanks guys!

I got your email Paul.

Every make is going to be a little different for making those dog legs. Also, fitting them to the person is required. We'd have to get together to get you fitted and make sure we can design a geometry that will still fold down nice and neat.

Any time Eric, as long as I'm around...

Patrick.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 8:54 pm    

Glad the event was a success, Patrick! Sorry I couldn't be there to help you out, but glad you had competent help. Looking forward to the final fitting of my S-12 Zumsteel on March 12. • Guys, Patrick is a real whiz at pedal steel setups, I asked for everything AND the kitchen sink on my Zum, and dadgummit, I think he managed to shoehorn it all in. Super nice guy, to boot. • That little red ZB student model is just like my first pedal steel. I still remember the excitement of figuring out how to coax those magic sounds out of the machine!

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2023 7:38 pm    

Man, I really need to learn to suck my gut in when the camera comes out....

Those old ZB student models sound incredible, just wish they played as easy as Emmons PP or modern guitars.

Thanks John!

Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 9:12 am    

Glad to see pedal steel guitar at the Wintergrass Festival. I played steel at Wintergrass for an eastern Washington bluegrass/folk/country local artist, Kevin Brown back about 10 years ago. I felt alone and out of place, just two dobro players there at that time in the jams, none on stage. Our set went well, but they sure looked at me like I was from another planet. Hopefully those bluegrasser's will start to except not only the dobro more, but steel.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2023 1:24 pm    

I've seen a shift in the Wintergrass demographic over the past few years. Not so strict "Bill Monroe" bluegrass only anymore. There's more Western Swing, Django, and Cajun. Even the odd cello running around. I think as long as there aren't drums it's cool..

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2023 11:00 am    

I live on the east coast, but my daughter is in Seattle. She attended the festival and texted me a photo of the petting zoo.

Tom McDonough

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 11:38 am    

Hi,

I could use a second set of eyes on my Williams S-10 and my Justice SD-10 - both play very well in general but I have made some copedant changes to both and need some timing help. May need to raise the Willy an inch.

I work in Tacoma so not too far for me.

Thanks,

LJ

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2023 5:24 pm    

Landon, Patrick Timmins is your guy, very excellent work and able to fabricate just about any part that might be needed. He did a full setup of my S12 7+6 Zum a few months ago.

Sam Werbalowsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2023 5:34 am    

Is the shop still open?

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2023 10:09 am    

Sam Werbalowsky wrote:
Is the shop still open?

As far as I know. I talk to Patrick frequently, great guy to work with, a true blessing to the Pacific Northwest steel guitar tribe.

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2023 1:49 pm    

Yup!
And enjoying it! Apologies if I missed any contacts as I was out on the East Coast for the last week and off the grid.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2023 10:07 am    

Definitely look up Patrick. He's excellent

Bryce

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2024 1:38 pm    

Hey Y'all.
Just wanted to drop a line to say everything is going great and to thank everyone for being such a welcoming community. It's been great to put faces to the names over the last couple of years.
Just finishing a long run of repair jobs and should have a mostly open schedule after this week. If anyone needs any repair work, I have open benches!

Patrick.
Patrick@tenstringsadmachine.com

Christopher Peck

Seattle
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2024 6:12 pm    

I still need to find enough time to get over to West Seattle to get my OG BMI set to the right height for me.

One of these days...

Patrick Timmins

Seattle
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2024 10:04 am    

Any time Christopher.
We can make it taller or shorter. No biggie.
Except this week. I have 2 clients flying in with their guitars for work. One Wednesday and another on Thursday and I need to finish the work while they stay in town. Will be a busy week. Very Happy