The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String and horn tones
Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 11:39 am    

I have some shows coming up where I'd like to mimic string and horn sections. A good chance to use three note chords in a full band!

Does anyone have any tips on making these sounds better (EQ, technique, effects, etc...)?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 2:11 pm    

Andrew,
Electro-Harmonix makes a pedal called the "Mel 9" that has strings and horns effects.
Erv

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 7:35 am    

Interesting topic. You still playing D13, Andrew?
In my view, steel does often fill the same space as strings and horns. Emulating the sonic characteristics of a string section with a pedal would obviously get you in the ballpark, but I'd think that studying the ways that strings work musically within arrangements would benefit any steel player's skillset, and be a cool process at the same time.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 7:30 am    

Thanks, Erv! They make some fine pedals. I'll take a look. I don't use any effects besides reverb right now, but I've been thinking about going crazy and adding a delay.

Hi Andrew! I'm still playing D13. I tried extended E9 once but it didn't suit me. I agree about studying horn and string parts! I'm thinking of groups like the Mar-Keys, or even how horns work in funk music. I feel like I already fall into sort of a cliched string section approach when playing on a slower number, so my work there is rutbusting and also studying interesting string parts.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 9:02 am    

Playing chordal harmonies is a natural for pedal steel, but don’t forget that horn sections do a lot of unison and octave parts too. If you can bend two or more strings into unison, AND throw a little chorus and delay on it, play your melodies like that and you will have a huge sound. Short snappy staccato burst fills are common too. And I don’t know what you call it when there is a sustained note with a moving harmony above or below, but that’s another natural on steel. Counterpoint, I guess.

I wouldn’t worry too much about “artificializing” your sound. Just think like a horn section, but play steel. Maybe beef up your midrange a little.