The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DI suggestions
Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 9:29 am    

I’m sure it’s been discussed to death, but wanna get fresh takes in DI boxes for use in recording & performance w/ steel & bass. Active? Passive? Switchable? Was happy w/ a Radial J48 used between a Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster & Ampeg 610 cab for a performance recently- liked the active interface w/ passive p bass pickups.

Who likes what what & why?

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2021 10:35 am    

When my home recording studio was active, I had cheap DI's, a couple active/passive and a passive Radial Pro Dual DI. What I was doing I didn't hear any sonic difference between the passive DI's. I sold off most of my recording studio items but kept the Radial Pro Dual DI in case I ever need one (or two). The actives I had (inexpensive ones) were tried but didn't do anything and the ones I had I just used them in the passive mode.

I suppose there are differences but what I used there were no apparent differences in recorded sound.

Steve Hitsman

Waterloo, IL
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 3:08 am    

I use Countryman.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:24 am    

Important: There is a difference between using a DI for instrument levels (between guitar and amp), versus one that is placed between an amp and speaker.

From the original post it sounds like you want the latter.

You need to be specific about what you want, and get the right type.

I have no experience with instrument level types.

Speaker level: I have used both a Palmer PDI09 and Friedman MicNoMo. Both work well.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 6:56 am    

Thanks ajm. Yes- looking to get the signal from the amp to the board as well as the cab. The J48 does this & I believe the Countryman does too.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 8:25 am    

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TD1DI--telefunken-tdp-1-1-channel-passive-instrument-direct-box

Telefunken Passive DI. Awesome. I actually use the stereo one. Just sounds great!

David Spires