The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Deluxe lap steel confusion
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 4:12 am    

I’ve seen listings with pictures of single neck Fender Deluxe lap steels.....To me they have the same design as a Stringmaster single neck....Then I look at 2 & 3 neck Fender Deluxe steels, and the pickup assembly looks completely different from a Stringmaster...What do REAL Fender Deluxe single neck lap steels from the 50’s look like ?.....Thanks for setting me straight !!!....Jim

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 6:58 am    

Fender changed the design completely in the early-mid 1950s but continued using the model names. They did the same thing with their amps. For example, the Fender Princeton and Deluxe amps changed in cosmetics and in power throughout the 50s and into the 60s. But they were still called Princeton and Deluxe. So sellers and buyers need to specify which version (which year) of the amp they have. Same thing with the Deluxe steel. It’s either an early Deluxe with trapezoid pickup or a Deluxe with Stringmaster features. I think more of the latter were made.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 7:55 am    

Too add to the confusion, there's the Studio Deluxe:

For all indents and porpoises, a Champ (not Champion) that has sprouted legs.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 8:26 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Too add to the confusion, there's the Studio Deluxe:
For all indents and porpoises, a Champ (not Champion) that has sprouted legs.

And to further add to the confusion, a lot of us have taken a leftover neck from a Stringmaster project guitar and made a single neck Stringmaster from it. Of course, Fender never did that. You'll see them occasionally on ebay but sellers often don't seem to realize that the value is probably less than 1/2 that of a Deluxe. Here's one that I did a while back:

A true Deluxe has a tapered body, the "adapted" single neck Stringmasters are just a straight plank like mine.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 9:13 am    

I'm not surprised there is confusuon because none of the Fender steels have the model name written on them, unlike the guitars and Fender have been a bit inconsistent over the years with their naming and there seems to have been a communication problem between the production line, art department and advertising department at times. A couple of instruments have appeared in catalogues with mixtures of features that never existed in real life and (I think) at least one catalogue where a single neck guitar is referred to as a Stringmaster.

But the general agreement is that there are 2 guitar styles that were known as the Deluxe (both available in 6 or 8 string versions) - one with "Stringmaster" features and an earlier model similar to the trapezoid pickup model which predated the Stringmaster.

I'm not sure what you nean by "2 and 3 neck Deluxe models" but if you mean steels with the trapezoid shaped pickups, these models were called the "Dual Professional" and "Custom Triple" repectively.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 9:25 am    

And to further, further, further add to the confusion, some of Fender's later catalogs listed a single-neck Stringmaster. That was probably CBS' way of trying to clear up the confusion.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 9:36 am    

Some even older one's have Roman numerals and rectangle pickups.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 10:14 am    

Thanks for the replies guys !!.....Before I posted this thead I was confused....Now I’m TOTALLY confused !!...🤪....Fender must have hired George Foreman to name their instruments back in this era !!😂.....When I was talking about the 2 & 3 neck steels, I was referring to the models with trapezoidal pickups.....For whatever reason I see them referred to as “Deluxe” models, as opposed to the later Stringmaster model....Seriously, thanks to all for clearing this up...

While we’re on the subject, what was the difference in tone between the model with trapezoidal pickups, and the Stringmaster ?....I have a triple neck Stringmaster and always wondered about the tone of the trapezoidal models.....Thanks guys....Jim

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 1:38 pm    

Quote:
...what was the difference in tone between the model with trapezoidal pickups, and the Stringmaster ?

It's very hard to describe tone in words, and everyone hears things differently... but in my experience, the Trapezoid tone is a bit harsher and more direct than the Stringmaster. The Stringmaster has two pickups and a blend control, and a somewhat out of phase sound IMO. The Trap pickup is more "in your face" IMO. The original "Sleep Walk" is a good example of the Trap sound. The album shows a Stringmaster, but that picture was taken later. Santo played the earlier model on the recording.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 3:51 am    

Hi Doug,
I realized after I wrote to compare tones....You’re right.... tone really is hard to describe, and even harder when comparing.....Thanks for giving it a shot....I’ll have to find a trap model and give it a listen.... I have a great time playing my Stringmaster after playing my pedal steel......and then even reaching for my lap steel....Every steel brings me into a variety of different material....I find myself playing country on my pedal steel....more swing on my Stringmaster, and turn up the gain and go crazy with my lap steel....It’s all good!!
Thanks again for your reply...Jim

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2021 4:41 am    

Yes, difficult to desctibe but I'd agree with Doug that the Trapezoid tone is a little more "aggressive" and "in your face" than the Stringmaster. There is a sweet spot on the tone control where you roll it back just till you can hear the tone change which I really like.

I have a Dual Pro (trap pickups) that is the one I almost always use in the studio but I have retired it for live work now. I use my Stringmaster for gigs as it's a bit lighter, smaller and more robust. I have a Custom Triple (with traps) that I used to use on some live shows but it's not that much less trouble to cart around than my Stringmaster quad so I don't use that much now although it's a great instrument.

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 7:51 am    

James, if you're still in the Missoula area you can come over sometime and try out my Triple Custom with trap pickups sometime!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 9:54 am    

And if you go back further, the earlier models had what was called a "boxcar" pickup.
That pre-dated the trap pickup. Very Happy
Erv