The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Humbucker into my S10 Emmons
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 6:31 pm    

Thinking about replacing the pup in my p/p . Engineer can’t deal with the noise . Any suggestions , preferences ?

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 6:51 pm    

Watching...

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Kelcey ONeil

Sevierville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 11:12 pm    

Assuming you currently have a single coil( the Emmons original?). If so, you may try a hum debugger, or make sure the pickup is properly grounded. Most Emmons seem to lose a bit of their characteristic tone with a humbucker, and even they are not as quiet as you sometimes would think they’d be.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 4:10 am    

Why not an Emmons Pentad? Switchable to single coil at will.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 5:39 am     Humbucker into S'10 Emmons

Keep that single coil and get an Electro Harmonix Hum De-Bugger. It will make it quiet as a mouse peeing on a cotton ball. You will not even hear any circuit noise. I've been through the humbucker pickups in Emmons pp's. They sounded good but I lost the pp sound to a large degree. You might like the sound better. It's always about the differences in the way our ears hear and the sound we're looking for.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 6:05 am    

FWIW,Mike Johnson uses chrome Bill Lawrence 705s in his p/p. And BL710s in his Franklins!

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 10:17 am    

I have a D-12 Emmons with its original single coils. I have an SD-12 Emmons with a Telonics pickup.

I have no issue whatsoever with the tone of the Emmons with the Telonics pickup. I certainly don’t feel like I’m losing anything but 60 cycle hum. If you aren’t a single coil purist, the Telonics will get you there.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 12:28 pm    

the telonics x10 is fantastic in a push pull. i think it's as close as you're going to get to the single coil sound, if that's what you're after.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 12:49 pm    

Lawrence 705s in an Emmons push pull is a marriage made in heaven.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 4:57 pm    

Ken Byng wrote:
Lawrence 705s in an Emmons push pull is a marriage made in heaven.

I agree with Ken, got lucky and found this D-10 with these nice chrome surround 705's. They get nice tone and don't make me even consider replacing them w/single coils...

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 1:16 pm    

Thanks for all your thoughts . Still undecided . It’s a toss up between a humbucker (Telonics 206)and the EH debugger .

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 1:27 pm     Re: Humbucker into S'10 Emmons

George Kimery wrote:
Keep that single coil and get an Electro Harmonix Hum De-Bugger. It will make it quiet as a mouse peeing on a cotton ball. You will not even hear any circuit noise. I've been through the humbucker pickups in Emmons pp's. They sounded good but I lost the pp sound to a large degree. You might like the sound better. It's always about the differences in the way our ears hear and the sound we're looking for.

+1 on the EH Hum Debugger

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 2:50 pm    

FYI the Hum Debugger does mess with certain notes a bit. Once I heard it I couldn’t keep using it!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 3:16 pm    

The Hum Debugger is an extraordinarily powerful and effective 60 cycle hum eliminator and I will use it without hesitation in a situation where the hum is so bad as to be an impossible distraction. However Marc is absolutely correct. It has some minor tone artifacts, resulting from notch filtering -- not terrible, but tough to accept for a tone purist (which I am not...I can live with the tone alteration). But its other effect is that if you are slowly glissing thru the frequency of the notch, it can kill your sound. A dead spot.
So there is a definite trade off. I would only use the Hum Debugger for severe situations and then I will be most grateful for the marvelous product. But I consider humbuckers to be a much preferable all around choice and a much less dramatic compromise.

This post is quite a coincidence in that I have a brand new-to-me push-pull, as of last week. I chose humbuckers for all my steels, years ago. This has the original single coil. I have not yet decided what I'm going to do.
I wonder how a ZB style pickup would work in it? Hmmmm.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 3:25 pm    

i have a hum debugger. if i thought i had to use it a lot i would change pickups. it messes with your sound.

i had the telonics 206 in a shobud. it was a great sounding pickup.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 6:20 pm    

+1 on the Telonics- sounds very good in a pp and gives you more useable throw in the vp before noise creeps in, or functionally, clean sustain. Seems the hum debugger works for some folks- I'd definitely suggest a new pickup instead- I found the pedal drastically alters response and sound, in addition to being something else to drag around and power.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 6:24 am    

In my experience as a pickup builder and PP player just about any humbucking pickup will sound great in that Emmons. Don’t sweat it. I would skip the debugger.