The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Deluxe Hot Rod Cab
Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 2:18 pm    

Hi, I just found a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod Cab that I plan to put a Celestion Gold speaker in.

The only thing that I'm not sure is that its a closed cab, I'm used to open cab.

Anybody tried that cab and have opinion on it?

Thanks!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 2:22 pm    

After you've installed the new speaker, why not leave the back off the cabinet. Voila! Instant open cab.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 6:19 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
After you've installed the new speaker, why not leave the back off the cabinet. Voila! Instant open cab.

Yep, that the plan! I just wonder if open back are the standard in steel world? I just never tough about that.

Im really into 40-50s non pedal if it can help.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2021 7:33 am    

I've seen both varieties at steel shows. Evans cabinets are open back, I have 2 with 15s. Peavey 112E had closed backs, (Jeff Newman ). Peavey 115E are open back Tweed cabs, I have 2 with Black Widows. So it varys by the user and intended purpose. The open back are more room filling and helps the drummer to hear. Closed back are more front projected and little rear sound, less feedback prone. Some players use one each, open back amp, closed back extension cab.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 5:08 am    

It would depend on the speaker specially if its open/closed back. If you heard your Celestion in an open back cab and like the sound then leaving the back off the Hot Rod cab would get you in similar ball park.

A Fender Twin, Deluxe etc are open back and steelers have used them for years.

It's about the design of the speaker. Whatever came in the closed back cab was chosen to sound proper in an airtight or vented cabinet.

Conversely open back cabs have speakers that are chosen to sound proper in an open back situation.

Often times though there is a back board to defray the sound waves a little on open backs.

An open back cab is all about the front wave meeting the rear wave and cancelling out low frequencies.

Then you have cabs that are convertible and the speakers are chosen for that type of cab.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 8:15 am    

Some players like to place their amp against a wall to get sort of a closed back effect. Very Happy
Erv

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 1:03 pm    

I have a Fender Deluxe ext. cab (closed back) that I use with my combo amps (open back), and my BF Bandmaster piggyback,(which has a closed back cab). I have a TT12 in it currently, and my ears prefer the TT12 in the closed back (as opposed to having it as the 'main' speaker in an open back combo). I like having the ability to tailor the sound of different rigs. 😄 Nice to have options. I have 15" JBLs and 1501s in extension cabs, but they're all open back.
As far as an opinion on the cab... it's heavy for what it is (single 12").. but it matches my other gear. Laughing