The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey 15" chrome cone speaker
Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 6:17 pm    

Is there any repair for what I have done? While changing out a Peavey 15" chrome cone speaker I dropped one of my tools down on the chrome cone and dented it, no damage to the speaker material. Any help would be appreciated.

Allen Howington

PM or Email me if that works better for you

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 7:05 pm    

I know it bugs you Allen and you like to keep your gear looking perfect but it doesn't hurt a thing. It's primary purpose is a dust cap.

A couple things you might try.... place some masking tape over the dent and try to pull it out that way. Masking tape is gentle and won't leave a residue like duct or other kinds of tape.

I've read where people have been able to pop out a dent using a vacuum cleaner hose too though I've never tried that.

The other method would be to remove the basket from the magnet and push the dent out from the back side with your finger. There is a specific method for separating and re-installing the basket/magnet assembly and those aluminum domes are pretty fragile as you have discovered, so be gentle with whatever method you use.

FWIW, every one I've done still leaves a little wrinkle after the fact so unless it's really caved in, sometimes it's best to just leave it alone.

Larry Hobson

Valley Grande (Selma) Al USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 7:39 pm     dented cone

Removing the magnet to fix a cosmetic problem isn't worth the risk Of damaging the voice coil. You could just color it with a black magic marker to hide the dent somewhat.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 8:11 am    

Depending on the dent. I used a paper cup as a funnel on the back if the magnet, using just my breath to blow out some dents. I have used the same method and a small shop vac in reverse as a blower but not pressing tight on the cup to avoid excessive pressure. Maybe a hair dryer without the heat would work too. Just avoid direct pressure to the magnet. Work carefully and observe the dust cap.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 9:44 am    

No problem removing the magnet...just follow Peavey's instructions. I have a sheet here I can post. Yes, you have to be careful, but I disassemble them all the time. I've done several dozen, at least, without any damage.

BTW, depending on the age of the speaker, If you pull the magnet, this would be a good time to inspect the foam plug for damage or having gotten gummy and fallen down into the back of the cap. There's a procedure for dealing with that also.

For this reason, the foam plug, I would not advise pushing air through the vent from the back side if it's still intact. When this stuff gets old, it falls apart. You don't want that gooey crap getting on the voice coil or into the coil gap.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2021 10:07 am    

Jerry is right on that foam plug. Had to deal with that before. Peavey is a snap to remove the magnet. I used my method to take out some pretty bad dents. Here is another brand speaker from Eminence after shipping. I was seriously unhappy.

Last edited by Larry Dering on 12 Feb 2021 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2021 10:12 am     Speaker afterwards

You can still see the creases but the major damage is removed.

Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 1:16 pm    

I find it easier when replacing the magnet on A pv speaker, to lay the magnet on a flat surface and get down at eye level, then replace the basket. It is much easier to put the voice coil in the magnet. Less chance of damageing the voice coil. Turn the speaker over and replace the bolt;s

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2021 4:38 pm    

Allen..You might try using a small suction cup to remove the dent (those small suction cup backed wall hooks work great). Coat the dust cap and the suction cup lightly with a mixture of warm water and a small amount of dish washing liquid, pull gently and evenly from the center of the dent.

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2021 3:57 am    

I used just a flip of duc tape and touched the dust cap. Pulled it out with that - no problem.