The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wah Wah pedals?
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2021 8:27 am    

Anyone use "Cry Baby" or other wah wah pedals? If so, what brand or model do you prefer? ...Tom - tommybradshaw@gmail.com

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2021 11:02 am    

I think I wrote everything I know here a couple of years ago - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=335154

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2021 1:26 pm    

Tom, I have an old Morley power Wah that I haven't used in years. I bought it in the 70s and used it on a regular guitar gig in 2011. That was probably the 3rd time I ever needed it for a Joe Walsh Funk 49 tune.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2021 9:18 pm     The Old VOX.

This old VOX Wah belonged to one of my friends down in Texas. He passed away last Aug. and his daughter let me have this. I have friends working at Keeley Electronics who I’ll have look at it when this virus mess settles down. It works but cuts out, like it’s got a short in the switch. My friend and I each bought one of these in 1967 at McCord Music in downtown Dallas. I also have a Cry Baby but I’ve never played steel through it or the VOX.

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2021 2:28 pm    

Yes Tom...I have the Wah pedal that you asked about. It's the Crybaby GCB-95, bought back in the late 90's. I remember right off the bat I didn't care for the noise it created even when it was in the off position. I modified (common modification) it to be true bypass because the stock model back then was not true bypass. That helped the noise problem a lot.

I found that over the years, I was not using it, so it sat on shelf until this past year, when during lockdown boredom, I pulled it out and tried it again and still did not care for it, so I tried some of the other common modifications to make it a bit less throaty with good results. I've used it a couple of times this year, and I like it, but it's not a Crybaby GCB-95 now.