The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Picks and Slide Bars
Ron Wendler

Southern Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2024 7:49 am    

I need to look at getting some of the necessities to make noise on this stringed project I'm building. As far as picks are concerned, to start with, what does one look for? The slide bar has me confused a bit. The big steel round one looks to be a handful to hold on to but I see them used. There are the curved top and sides one that seems to be more manageable. Is the a difference in sound? Maybe I need to be watching instruction videos to learn the basics of this.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2024 10:03 am    

You answered yourself by looking at instruction videos. Picks and bars are a personal matter but some are better than others. Look at the discussions on picks and bars. I use Fred Kelly Plastic thumbpicks and Dunlop metal fingerpicks in a .022 gauge. I have a variety of bars but the standard is a 7/8 diameter round bar about 8 ounces in weight and about 3 1/4 long. My choice is a 15/16 bar and I like the powder coated or the poly bars but normally guys use Stainless steel bars. You will have to experiment to find the perfect bar. The curved and grooved bars are generally a Dobro or lapsteel users choice.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2024 10:05 am    

Because of cerebral palsy in my left hand, I use polymer bars for dobro and steel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger