The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  upgrade for student Maverick
Robert Suraci

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 11:15 am    

Does anyone do upgrades anymore for the sho bud Maverick student model? The one with the vinyl cover. Such as a changer upgrade that would allow three more knee levers. I know folks will say, just buy a new steel but I only paid 600 for this one. Prices of the Pro 1 and other S10 3x4's are pretty steep. I'm just trying to do a price comparison, if the service is even available anymore. Thanks for any response. Rob

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 3:32 pm    

I doubt that this is something anyone ever did at any time other than a few one-off hack jobs, as The Maverick mechanism is very primitive and not much can be done to improve upon it. Save up some money for a real axe and meanwhile take the time to work on picking accuracy, blocking, intonation, utilizing the 2 string lower on your single lever, incorporating strings 1,2,7,and 9, VP technique, and the hundred other subtle details that do not require more changes. I played a three pedal, no lever Maverick for many years when I needed every dollar I made to feed and house myself and my family, and all it did was make me a more complete player. Make it work for you so that when you do buy that new guitar you will know what to do with it.

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 10 May 2024 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Robert Suraci

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 4:08 pm    

Sounds like good advice. I am already replacing a broken finger. It's in pieces. I'm learning about it's parts and shortcomings. It will be back together soon and I will continue on my journey. I am wondering why it is set up to lower string 2 instead of string 4. Oh yeah, I just remembered, it's set up to raise string 4. With this changer you have to choose raise or lower, you can't do both on one string.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 9 May 2024 11:07 pm    

Lowering string 2 is an essential part of the purpose served by the first two strings, i.e. 9th and 7th to the E tuning. Lowering this major 7th 1/2 step to the dominant 7th in pedals-up E major tuning also allows the top two strings to become the 6th and 4th notes respectively in the pedals-down A major tuning.

Thus these two strings provide complete major scales and diatonic pass-through harmonies without moving the bar in either pedals-up E or pedals-down A tunings, simply by flatting the second string D# to D.

As I said, there is a lot of music in that simple axe and a lot skills development available.

Robert Suraci

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 4:14 am    

Thanks Dave. Can't wait to get this thing back together. I'm staining the wood blue. It'll have a clear gloss lacquer and a new finger.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 4:35 am    

I am guessing that your source for the new finger was this guy, but just in case it wasn't, it's a resource to file away:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/181166/i.html?_ssn=himonwry&store_name=gearguyguitardrumcymbalgear&_oac=1

I have no Mav experience but just as a general observation, in addition to the musical function of the 2nd string lower (and if I'm setting up a guitar for a relative beginner, I'll recommend eliminating a half-stop that has the 2nd string lower D# > C# with a 'feel stop' in the middle for the D -- to me the solid D is vital and feeler-stops take a lot of learning to achieve 'solid').....

Anyway, in addition to the musical reason for the 2nd string lower on the lever, there is the fact that you would be adding a lower to the 4th string that is already hooked up to raise E > F# on the C pedal. This is a technological leap up from simply only raising or only lowering a string. Obviously it is a thoroughly solved problem with the evolution of the pedal steel but if you are looking at a simple machine, you will have to devise a system involving springs to accommodate the 4th string's E > F# raise, E > D# lower and a solid, reliable return to open E.
I'm not sure what-all a stock Maverick can do (nor am I sure if there were different versions of Mavs that evolved upward or downward over the course of the model's life).

Just some Friday morning ramblings.

Robert Suraci

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 9:11 am    

Hey Jon, The Maverick can do one of two things to a string; raise or lower, It's changer can't do both to the same string. I'll live for a while with what I have, till I get better and out grow it. But I can see in some of the tabliture I want to learn, there will need to be ways play differently. It's all a learning process.Thanks for your input.
Oh, I got a hold of Jeff at Sho Pro Steel Guitars. He's sending a couple fingers. But thanks for the other contact. Geeze, this is like a cult. But in a good way. Contacts are good.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 9:37 am    

Thanks. Glad to get clarity on that.

No question, when you get it in good playing condition, it is a music maker.

Also no question, you will keep coming up against things in instructional materials that this guitar cannot do. Thousands of players have been where you are.

You've gotta work with what you've got and when the time, money, motivation is right, the next step is out there.

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 10:19 am    

Just wondering here , on a Maverick could you lower 4 if you didn't raise it with the C pedal ?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 2:53 pm    

Short answer is yes. And if you’re reasonably mechanically minded, and have some tools, you can add a spring and adjustable stop, and do the raise and lower on the same string! (Limitations are sometimes different for different people.) Cool

Robert Suraci

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2024 4:34 pm    

Would this require a different finger?

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2024 4:38 am    

a pull release mechanism is what allows raise and lower on mavericks. herb steiner could help with that. check this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT6yEuZ1rEc&t=89s