The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender string attachment (ball end) design
Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 10:21 am    

My son has a late seventies Fender D10 Artist (Shobud built - super pro), and the strings enter the changer on the PU side, then wrap around the top of the changer. The ball ends can be seen on the pickup side. Most other major brands feature the little pin on the right side of the changer that the ball at the end of the string slips onto. The Fender design makes it pretty easy and quick to change strings. My question is two-fold: Does the Fender design minimize string breakage? And also, how does this design affect the tone of the guitar.

Bill Mayville

Las Vegas Nevada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 10:35 am    

Same as the new Jackson guitar.Starts from the pickup side ,goes thru and over the top.But the jackson works from both ends.
Bill

------------------
Bill Mayville
Le Grande 111 D-10 (05)
Mullens D-10 (04)
Jackson S 10 Very Nice

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2006 12:54 pm    

I'd say that it's just an alternative design with no real sonic advantages, and I don't think it breaks strings any less. Most modern guitars no longer have a "string breakage problem". I do know that most builders dropped the old "pin type" string attachments because they were known to break off occasionally.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2006 12:43 am    

Donny - The pin breakage you mentioned usually comes from abuse and carelessness. It can also derive from using the inferior quality pins. I have always used Blue Devil 1/16" dia. x 3/8" pins and have never seen one break or bend. The 'slot' in the spring pin should be installed either up or down, not to the sides. Blue Devil also makes the finest socket-head (Allen) screws available on the planet. They extrude the hexes to a sharp corner providing much more bearing surface for the wrench. Unbrako and the myriad of other manufacturers out there have not caught onto this apparently. Their hexes round out badly. This stuff is available at any industrial supply house that carries Blue Devil products. I've been using their products for over 30 years now and wouldn't even dream of switching brands even if I was given the junk stuff free of charge.
PRR