The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics VP & tube amps... distortion??....close
forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 3:36 pm    

Wondering if any of you have experienced distortion when using a Telonics FP100 with a tube amp like a Twin Reverb? I got a Telonics volume pedal last week and first tried it through my Rev pre-amp with a Milkman power head, sounded great. Was excited to try it with my Fox HP Twin head tonight, cuz it’s been quite a crappy week. Plugged everything in, and got a fuzzy distortion no matter how I tweaked it. Now, it came from being checked out by my amp tech who is Fender certified two days ago. Plug my SF TR head in, same thing. Took the FP100 out and replaced it with my Emmons pot pedal. Sounds great.

So am I doing something wrong here, or does the Telonics VP not play well with tubes? I know guys who use this combination, but I’m at a loss. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Skeeter

Last edited by forrest klott on 29 May 2020 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 4:31 pm    

I have 4 tr's and 2 mm's and have never had a distortion problem.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 5:15 pm    

My experience is the same as Marty's, the output is crystal clear with any amp. Make sure the input impedance isn't cranked way down. It's one of the little holes above and in front the input jack on the right side, it should be cranked fully clockwise by default, you need a tiny slotted screwdriver to adjust. This doesn't cause distortion per se when cranked down, but rather just a dead, muffled tone. Make sure you have the correct power supply too, it's 24 volt.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2020 6:20 pm    

Thanks fellas, got it figured out. It was all me, didn’t have it plugged all the way in. It was the comment about making sure the impedance set correctly that got me to pick it up and take another look at it. Sounds fabulous now, thanks,

Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2020 7:18 am    

You also might check what taper number you have it set at. 6,7,8 and 9 have extra gain in them which theoretically can clip some amp's input. Maybe use 1-5 as a choice taper and see if that helps!