The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlen Fret Board
Gerald Keller

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 9:49 am    

I had a Marlen/Speedy West guitar restored and replaced the paper/plastic fret board with metal ones. The ones I used for the D-10 were correct at 18 inches but I also found one that is 19 inches which is calibrated diffently. Does anyone know why there are different fret boards for the Marlen.

In addition, I have researched the serial numbers for the Marlen/Speedy West and it seems the use and explanations are not consistent as how they should be read. The one I have is 210 297091. The "91" seems to be a universal number while the 2970 has been described as the date, if read backwards, doesn't make sense. It would seem that this particular one would be read , built in 1970 and it was the 29th one made in that year! Can anyone explain? Attached picture of restored guitar, Speedy West log won't stick to finish - HELP!

Picture file
Speedy West
Show Pro
Other Expensive "Stuff"

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 7:42 am    

The only thing that's really important is that the fretboards are accurate. I would measure the distance between the center of the roller nut and the center of the changer fingers to determine the scale length, divide that by 2 and verify that the 12th fret is located right there.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 4:23 pm    

The longer board, calibrated differently is for a longer scale guitar.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2020 3:44 pm     date

That guitar was built Sept second 1970

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2020 10:46 am    

Gerald, as far as the fret boards, if you check the distance from the end of the laminate to the the first fret, you'll probably find that they are different lengths. (It appears so from the picture but could be parallax from the camera lens.) They often require trimming on installation to achieve the proper spacing to the 12th fret, but check all fret spacing to the other fret board to be certain that they are indeed the same and check the calculator for fret spacing to be sure that they are calibrated for your scale length. You can find that here https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator.html

You also have to take into account the distance from the back of the nut to the centerline of the rollers. Subtract that distance from the end of the fretboard to the first fret.

And do what Pally said also.

If this is the guitar that you had Chuck Back restore for you then the finish is so good that it will refuse to have anything attached to it! Just kidding... Call Chuck to find out how to properly prep the area for the logo. His logo's are adhesive backed vinyl and stick just fine. It may have some wax on it from the polishing/buffing process and you may have to find some new double sided tape to attach that Marlen emblem.

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/