The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  bare feet?
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2006 7:57 pm    

I am a barefoot player... I am 6'1. When I first started, in about 1975, I had an MSA Sidekick. I couldn't get my right leg under the guitar with a shoe and a volume pedal... there wasn't much around in the way of instruction then so I went with what worked.... been barefoot ever since. One of the country bands that I play with features a barefoot bass player and drummer too! You New York guys can imagine Hank's Saloon in bare feet!

Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 8:21 am    

Funny... I've just started learning psg and I'm 6' 3" with size 13 feet. I've been getting comfortable with my AB licks, but it's all barefoot because I'm too lazy to put on shoes at home to practice. The few times I'm out somewhere and need to play wearing shoes it's a mess, so I keep thinking I need to start re-learning everything with shoes on. But reading that there are players out there who gig barefoot makes me rethink that. I guess it's whatever works for the individual. My left foot toes sure are getting dexterous, too...

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 9:20 am    

I don't think playing barefoot is a good idea, for a reason that has nothing to do with being able or not able to play it that way. To me, the biggest problem is that if you're barefoot, unless the stage is somehow electrically isolated, you're completely electrically grounded. Any open voltage source you touch results in current through you to ground. Even if you're careful, through the neglect of others, there can be dangerous voltages around due to improper ground lifting, electrical faults in equipment, and so on. I cringe when I see performers onstage with bare feet.

I realize that in a major-stage professional performance, it's part of the sound engineers' job to make sure this kind of thing can't happen, and I suppose if one goes through extreme fault-checking, it might be reasonable, though I wouldn't trust it myself. But to go into the usual club setting with bare feet is way more gutsy than I would ever even think about.

Nathan Golub

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 10:20 am    

Good point, although I've been shocked (electrical-wise, that is) at plenty of gigs with shoes on. And I can't think of a single club I've played that I'd actually want to be barefoot in.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 12:05 pm    

I have been known to play in my socks now and then.

------------------
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.

[This message was edited by Dick Wood on 28 August 2006 at 01:07 PM.]

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 3:35 pm    

More of a sock player. It helps with control and rocking. Soft LEATHER ropers when foot wear is required.

------------------
Thomas SD10 3/4,Thomas D10 8/5 and Desert Rose S10 3/4. Beginner

graham rodger

Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2006 6:32 pm    

love the arguments,especially the earthed electrically once,been electrocuted once with a band i stood in with,gonna wear shoes on that strength...plimsoles maybe,but rubber at least.you guys....

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2006 3:46 am    

Davis Easley plays in his socks and is fantastic. I've seen a few others do it too. Diabetes makes me protect my feet, but I found some shoes called Comfort Mocs at Sears. They look like black slippers but are very flexible, and have a sole that gives, but offers protection. Hey, I should get a sales commission from Sears.

------------------
Howard

Heiko Aehle

Bretleben GERMANY
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2006 6:42 am    

I play all my life only with socks on. I feel much better than with shoes on!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2006 10:13 am    

Been playing in socks for 30 years.. seen and heard a LOT of onstage gagging and wretching.. bob