The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Clearance For Legs Underneath Your Guitar?
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 12:57 pm    

I'm new to pedals, and though I never would have been drafted in to the NBA as a forward, I'm tall enough that it seems like a pretty tight fit underneath my new GFI S-10 Ultra keyless.

I'm 6'2", and wear Levi's with a 34 inseam.

I sent an e-mail to GFI, and Bob quickly responded, which I appreciate. He said for the cost of shipping, if the legs are in like-new condition, they can switch them out for sets that are either one inch (which he seems to think will suffice), or two inches longer.

This idea strikes me as a better alternative than a "lift kit"-seems like there is more permanence to it.

You guys that are around 6'2" or taller-do you have longer-than-stock legs for your guitar?

------------------
Mark

[This message was edited by Mark Eaton on 22 July 2006 at 01:58 PM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 1:13 pm    

I had an MSA with a lift kit and I think the kits are fine. They are very stable, almost innoticeable, and don't mess up the resale value of your guitar.

It's also a LOT cheaper than 4 new legs and a complete set of longer pedal rods.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 1:27 pm    

Hi Mark,
I too am 6'2" with a 34" inseam for 501's. When I first got my steel I used a 1" lift kit and also used a lowboy volume pedal. I never liked the lift lit much because of the extenders: although it did what it was supposed to do, I just didn't like the extra part on my pedal rods. Eventually I tried extending my back legs to give me more clearence, and that's what I do now. I've taken off the extenders and I now use a regular height volume pedal, and both of my guitars are jacked up in the back. The guitars sit with a bit of a rake, but they're comforatble to play and I have enough clearence. One of my guitar came with the front legs extended about 1/2", so the bottom of the pedal board is about 1/2" above the top of the rubber feet, and that works fine, too. If you don't mind having your guitar sitting at a bit of a rake, try playing with the back legs: you might save some money, and also keep it simple.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 4:27 pm    

I had the same problem with a Carter, so I bought their extension kit which comes in 1", 2" and 3", and extends the legs and the pedals. I'm sure most of the other manufacturers make similar kits.

Bill Bosler

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 5:08 pm    

Mark,
I'm 6'-6" and getting enough leg room under a steel has always been a problem. I have a GFI SD-12 and the way the legs are constructed, you can't use a lift kit. You have to get another set of legs and rods which is no big deal, but if you ever want to sell the guitar then the new owner will have to get another set of legs and rods if he or she wants it set back to standard height.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 5:59 pm    

I'm around 6'-2" with long legs, and I have to raise all my steels 2". I use lift kits on used ones I buy, but have my new ones set up that way from the factory. I use a standard height volume pedal.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2006 6:58 pm    

I'm 6'4"+, and use a 2" or even 3" of lift, from a lift kit, depending on the guitar. For the first few years I played, it just drove me nuts - I settled on a Sierra during this period because the knee lever paddles swing out from under the guitar. I also tend to play S-12 universals, and front-to-back distance is also an issue. Raising the guitar helps with this also, since the front legs are at an outward angle from vertical.

I haven't found any problems with the lift kits. As Bill B. says, you can just take the lift kit and sell the guitar, then put the new lift kit on your new guitar. Pedal rods are not all completely standardized, I don't think it's possible to just take any rods and put them on any guitar. I have tried a bunch of different types of steels the last few years.

Now I suppose, if I ever get completely settled on which guitar(s) I'm going to use for time immemorial, perhaps I'll get special long pedal rods made. But for now, lift kits work great. I just got a new set from Bobbe Seymour - they're about the same diameter as the rods, and don't interfere at all with my feet.

Remember that for many steels, you need more than the extended rods. With a few exceptions, one also needs a spacer ring to keep the pedal pressure from pulling down the front leg extenders into the pedal rack.

I can honestly say that I really couldn't start to seriously play the levers properly until I got my steels raised up.

[This message was edited by Dave Mudgett on 22 July 2006 at 08:01 PM.]

Frederic Mabrut

Olloix, France
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 1:27 am    

I'm accustomed to play with the back of the steel jacked up, but handling the bar might be tricky, especially on the E9 neck, since it has tendency to slip forward.
I'm thinking about buying one of those kits (I'm 6'4"). Do a "fit every steel" kit exist or must we buy the specific kit for the specific guitar?
Fred

------------------
Franklin D10
Gibson CG 520

Colin Goss

St.Brelade, Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 2:48 am    

When I bought my EMCI and more recently the Carter, I requested longer legs. Previously on the MSA I had had to replace the legs because I was uncomfortable under the levers, and I didn't like the sloping frets. Of course if one is buying a prevously used guitar the choice is not there.

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 3:00 am    

I've always just raised the back of the guitar up to accomodate me. It tilts forward, but I'm so used to that now after all these years that a level guitar feels like it's caving in backwards on me.

------------------
Mikey D...

Mickey McGee

Phoenix,Az
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 3:43 am    

I had to get the 1" extra long legs for my Carter and I'm also 6'2".

------------------

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 5:11 am    

Mark,
A lift kit is the way to go, it can be removed if/when you change steels. I just purchased an MSA that was too low for me and got a lift kit to raise 1", consisting of 1" rod extenders, and 1" spacers to go between the front leg locks and the pedal bar. The back legs can be adjusted to the right level. Hope this helps.

BF

Robert Porri

Windsor, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 9:28 am    

Mark,

I don't have the problem you have, but I have the same guitar. From reading the posts it seems to make sense to buy the extra set of legs and rods so the original ones can be sold with the guitar if you ever part with it. I would hope that the price wouldn't be too restrictive. I would raise each leg up on something first though and test well whether the 1" would be enough or if you need more so you are certain what you would need when you order.

I'm sure you'll really like the GFI.

Bob P.

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2006 9:21 pm    

I've noticed for years that nearly all brands of guitars come with legs that are about 1” too short! I always order my new guitars with front-legs an extra 1” longer. I think nearly everyone would be able to handle 1” more in height with no problem and I'd like to see all Mfgr's increase their standards! I used to be 6’1½” tall and always needed the extra 1”. Now, in my elder years I've shrunken to about 5’11” and I still am most comfortable with that extra 1”. I just wish I could shrink a little from front to back now!
------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
Current Equipment

[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 23 July 2006 at 10:24 PM.]

Phil ONeill

Balbriggan, Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2006 12:20 pm    

Hi Mark,

I am 6’ 2 and I ordered 2 inch longer legs with my Emmons LG111.
As a result I have felt more bonded with the guitar because it feels right.
My advice for what its worth is get the right legs and rods for you, and enjoy
playing on your new GFI keyless.My buddy has a 12 string GFI keyless and
it sounds incredible.Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Phil

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2006 1:42 pm    

Thanks for all these great takes on the matter so far. This is why I love The Forum! How many phone calls and/or letters written would it have taken in the "olden days" to gather all this information?

Bill Bosler wrote above:

"I'm 6'-6" and getting enough leg room under a steel has always been a problem. I have a GFI SD-12 and the way the legs are constructed, you can't use a lift kit. You have to get another set of legs and rods which is no big deal, but if you ever want to sell the guitar then the new owner will have to get another set of legs and rods if he or she wants it set back to standard height."

I was leaning toward the leg/rod trade out with GFI anyway, but I guess I'm curious as to why a lift kit won't work on this brand of guitar.

That said, the re-sale thing that folks have talked about is a very valid point, but unlike a lot of you, I don't get to participate in G.A.S. that often, so buying/selling/swapping isn't in the cards for the near future. I think some guys are into the G.A.S. when it comes to musical instruments almost as much as they are into playing the things!

I suppose that if the day were to come that I were to sell the guitar on The Forum, I would direct the spiel toward folks in my range of height, and they would be able to purchase a used instrument without having to dink around with modifications.

If the day comes that I just have to dive into C6th and get a two neck guitar, or develop a hankerin' to go the Universal tuning route, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now, I have a nice quality steel that is going to take me a long time on which to develop E9th competency, so I'm likely going the longer leg route.

Anybody else that wishes to chime in, please do-I really appreciate every one's responses to this thread.

------------------
Mark

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2006 2:53 pm    

I just had the GFI folks make some longer legs for my student steel. If the legs screw into the frame, and then the pedalboard attaches to the legs with bolts going through them, then I don't think a lift kit will work for you. (Call Bob at GFI, he can tell you for sure.) Regardless, if you're going to keep the guitar for any length of time, I'd recommend getting the right parts for it as opposed to using a "hack."

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2006 9:52 pm    

I'm 6'4",and I had Bruce Zumsteg make the rods about 1 3/4 inches longer,and he used a clear tubing to put on the front legs as spacers,and it works great.The Sierra I have, I had Don C. make me a new set of pedal rods to my specs,and it fits.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jul 2006 4:53 am    

BTW - Buy a Fender and don't worry about it!

;-)

Both my 1000 (adjustable legs) and 400 (one setting) have room to spare for tall guys. I can even stick effects pedals under the front rail upside-down to turn them on with my knees!

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 8:11 pm    

Am I the only short steel player?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 3:06 am    

No, Bama C.; I would have had to get a lower kit for my Starter.
An MSA fits me just fine.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 12:10 pm    

A "standard height" is too tall for me also. On my Fessy U12, the rear legs won't adjust shorter because the inner pipe prevents. The solution was to it cut off an inch and a half shorter. Now I can lower the rear side to bring the knee levers down to a comfortable level. So mime leans towards me, but I like it just fine.

Returning it to the original height is no problem.

Kelly Hydorn

Spokane
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 8:11 pm    

Hey I must be a short 6'2". Used to have a little difficulty getting "under" my steel, but the legs on my emmons adjust out nicely keeping the deck flat and allowing enough clearance for a vertical knee lever too. And I can use a standard height seat, thanks to Tim Cushenberry's advise.

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2006 11:39 am    

I'm 6'1" with a 36" inseam, but I think the most important measurement is the distance from the floor to the top of your knee when you're sitting on your stool wearing the shoes you'll be playing in. For me that is 24.5 inches, and I fit perfectly under a standard height push/pull.

My standard height LeGrande has always seemed slightly lower than the push/pull to me. It's still OK, but if I had a magic wand I'd probably make it 1/2 inch higher.

YMMV,
Charlie