The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  seeking LA area Carter owner(s)
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 10:26 pm    

I'd like to sit down at a Carter and see how I like it. If you have one I could try out I'd appreciate it. (I'll come to you) s-12 preferably, but an s-10 or d-10 would be informative, I think.

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 1:15 am    

Hey John McClung, I see on your by-line that you have a sd-10 of the above mentioned persuasion. How about it? Could I play it through a low-power Fender? (I'll bring the amp)

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 3:55 pm    

C'mon guys, someone must be willing to admit to owning one!!

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 5:35 pm    

John, I'm nowhere near California but I'd like to mention that I bought a Carter D-10 a few months ago and like it so much that I already have another Carter (SD-10) on the way. I had a chance to buy an Emmons and a really nice Sho~Bud, but in the end chose another Carter because they simply play and sound great. They honk like the classics (to my ear) but do not have any mechanical issues or other worrisome quirks. I love classic steels, but the most important thing for me is reliablity. The Carter has that - AND great tone, and that's a killer combination in my book. To each their own, but the Carter design just suits me to a tee.

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 6:56 pm    

Hi Chris, thanks for your input. How would you describe the tone of the Carter in comparison to the Emmons and/or 'Bud in terms of brightness/mids/lows, sustain, resembles one more than the other? - I'd be interested in whatever you can add to elaborate.

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 7:17 pm    

Quote:
They honk like the classics (to my ear) but do not have any mechanical issues or other worrisome quirks.

Amen to that! Carter is famous for their reliability, as well as their tone. I've had two of them, and thinking about getting a new one. I like their low profile necks. It just feels "right" sitting behind them.

As far as maintenance, forget it. You will need very little, if any. They STAY in tune. The knee levers and pedals are smooth and positive. No mushy pedals, or levers.
Just buy one. You will not be sorry.
Man!, I think I just talked myself into buying one, remembering how they feel and respond!
MHO of course.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 7:46 pm    

Hey John,

I will report my comparisons based on my friend's early '90's Legrande SD-10 and my old Pro 1, Superpro undercarriage. At the risk of getting totally flamed for my junior status as a five-year veteran of the steel, here goes :

Brightness: The Carter is bright like the Emmons, and much brighter than the Sho~Bud. I almost call it an attack, like a lively metallic sound.

Mid's: Sho~Bud was a little bit beefier on the low-mid. The Emmons was similar to the Carter with respect to the mids - very present but not offensive.

Lows: I find the Carter great bass-wise. Even in my practice amp the Carter produces a nice growl. The Legrande holds its own in this department as well. The Sho~Bud didn't fare so well with the lows. I really had to crank the low end on the amp. Keep in mind it was a single neck body compared with the D-10 bodies of the other two.

Sustain: The Carter holds its own nicely with sustain, especially in the lower and upper-mid frets. It's really chimy down there. But I have to admit that the Emmons kicks its butt above the 15th fret. I have never played a steel that sustained effortlessly on the high frets like the Legrande. The Carter is fine up top - just not surprisingly fabulous like the Emmons was when I played it. I don't spend a huge amount of time up there, so it's not an issue for me.

Without a doubt, the Carter is more like an Emmons than a Sho~Bud, at least my old Pro 1 anyway.

The ultimate reason I chose a second Carter over the others was the pedal and lever action. The Carter feels easier to me. It's fluid without being slack. Also, I'm better able to tune the Carter than other steels I've played. And now that I'm used to the string spacing, Emmons and Sho~Buds would feel too wide for me now. I also find that the Carter has very nice overall character. It's just a neat and tidy machine. I love it.

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are old Sho~Bud Pro II's and Push-Pull Emmons guitars out there that would blow my Carter through the roof in every respect. But based on comparisons between the above models, the Carter is the winner in my most humble opinion. And my chiropracter agrees.

[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 06 August 2006 at 09:18 PM.]

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 7:55 pm    

Curt - Your memories are correct. They're a blast to play, like you mentioned. My bet is you'll have another before long.

One of these days (when I'm rich) I will order a brand new Carter: SD-10, 4+5, clear lacquer finish with polished everything. For now I'll keep the previously loved Carters from getting rusty.

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 7:57 pm    

String spacing?? Narrow like my old MSA?

by the way Chris, is yours 'mica or laquer?

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 8:04 pm    

John, you'll find the string spacing to be a lot like your MSA. The spacing on my Carter is just like my old 80's lacquer MSA "The Universal" 12. It's closer than the 'Buds and Emmons, but I like that now. I was intimidated by closer spacing before. Now it feels more natural to me, and my speed has increased since I got the Carter.

My D-10 Carter and the SD-10 (on the way) are both black mica.

Craig Ferguson

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 11:01 pm    

I've got an SD-10. Shoot me an email. I think its a great guitar.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 9:42 pm    

Hey Groover, ain't been trolling the forum for a few days.

Yes, I have an SD-10 4+5 Carter with BCT, ring me up or email me and we'll set up a jam session so you can try it out.

It's a great guitar, and very light. You can try my Mullen D-12, too, it's my true love.

------------------
E9 lessons
Mullen D-12/Carter SD-10/Webb amp/Profex II+Lexicon MPX-110 OR Line 6 Pod XT

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 10:48 pm    

Re Carters and string spacing... I emailed them today and Ann Fabian eamiled me back with the figure of 11/32". Assuming that is center to center, I measured both my Sho-Bud's and they are both 11/32" too.
My (very early) MSA seems narrower to me, but it is packed up right now so I didn't measure it yet.

Who's got datums we can verify and compare?

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 11:19 pm    

Please see my "String spacing survey" thread in this topic.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2006 11:10 am    

I never measured my Sho~Bud spacing before I sold it, but it sure felt a good bit wider than my Carter.