The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stainless Pull Rods
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 11:14 am    

Is there a vendor at the Convention that sells 1/8" stainless steel pull rods? Checked around here. "Ace is not the place".
Is there an obvious stability of staying in tune with temp changes with the stainless rods?
Thanks,
Dennis

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 5:47 pm    

Dennis,
If you're handy with tools, go to a welding supply, and get some 1/8" tig welding rods, cut to length and thread 6-32. Be sure to get threading fluid for stainless. Or you could check with a machine shop and get a price for what you need...If you are changing from aluminum to stainless, I don't think it's worth the effort/expense, course my hearing aint what it used to be.

BF

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 6:10 pm    

1/8" rod threads a lot better at 5-40 than it does at 6-32. (Most steels that use 1/8" rod use a 5-40 thread.)

Aluminum expands almost twice as much with temperature as stainless steel does, that's why almost no one uses aluminum for pull rods.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 06 August 2006 at 07:13 PM.]

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2006 8:00 pm    

A lot of PSG Mfgr's are no longer using 1/8” rods! They are slightly smaller on GFI, Derby and others! You had better measure the rods’ dia. first, before replacing them or the nylon~tuners might give you a problem! In fact, if the rods are less than 1/8”. so are the holes in the changer and a 1/8” rod won't fit!

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
Current Equipment

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 9:20 am    

Order "drill rod" from Industrial Metal Supply in Burbank CA. They have it in more sizes than you can find welding rod in. I got 7/64" for my Super-Pro style 'Bud from them.
I agree about the 5-40 threads. A 40 thread pitch (threads-per-inch) will provide more tuning accuracy than a 32-thread pitch. It's a little tricky to cut the threads on 1/8" rod, but I think it's worth the effort.
You'll need a tap, tap handle, and cutting fluid (oil). Bevel the end of the rod first on a grinder or with a file to make it easier to start the tap. after cutting the threads, clean them up with a fine wire brush to get rid of all the metal shavings.

Good luck.

PS I also recommend a pair of Vise-Grips to hold the rod while you thread it.

[This message was edited by John Groover McDuffie on 07 August 2006 at 10:25 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 10:18 am    

quote:
It's a little tricky to cut the threads on 1/8" rod, but I think it's worth the effort.
You'll need a tap, tap handle, and cutting fluid (oil).

Better make that a button die instead of a tap! Taps are for cutting internal threads, dies are for external threads. We know what you're talking about, but the guy at the tool place probably doesn't.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 11:30 am    

Thanks guys! I have a 1976 MSA U-12 and 1982 U-12 Zum that I want to try stainless on the A&B pedals. If it's an improvement in stability, I'll rework a few more. However, I'll have to make a jig to drill those microscopic roll pin holes for the Zum rods.
Thanks,
Dennis

Fay Reid

Orono, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 5:08 pm    

Another location: STAINLESS STEEL 1/8" ROD 24' NEW ALLOY 304 at eBay. Price is $12.99.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 5:33 pm    

Dennis, your MSA should already have stainless-steel pull rods.

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 6:53 pm    

Oops - of course, I mean a die. Thanks for correcting me.

John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2006 6:55 pm    

My MSA came to me with a variety of pull rods. some aluminum, some welding rod. I replaced all the non-stainless ones with stainless.

[This message was edited by John Groover McDuffie on 07 August 2006 at 07:56 PM.]