The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone Play the Shobud Crossovers??
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 4:18 am    

I know this sounds nutty, but is there anyone out there playing the old shobud [baldwin] crossover models?? I have one of those & just love the tone of that guitar?? Am I all alone out is crossoverland [the crossover doesnt work on mine, I have 7 pedals, 1st one does nothing cause there is no rack on the E9th side, its shut off, 2 pedals on E9th with two levers, one raising E to F#, one lowering 2nd, 4th & 8th. The other 4 pedals are doing C6th, only thing missing is the standard C6th 'A' pedal. that E9th knee lever that lowers 3 on E9th is also lowering the C to B, and I have one knee lever that works C6th only and it raises the 3rd C to C# [like to use that with the boowah pedal. chime in here & tell me about your crossover [working or not]
Pictures can be seen on my web site http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

Ernie

------------------

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 5:14 am    

I had one in the mid 70's till the late 80's.

Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 5:45 am    

That looks just like the old crossover I had in the 70's, except mine had 6 on the floor and 1 knee lever and white fret boards. It was the first pedal steel I had, it had a beautiful tone to it but it never would stay in tune. The tuning issue was to much for me to deal with while learning how to play. I never learned much on it for having to work on it so much. I wish I had it today just to look at. I remember it was heavy as all get out too. I got a LDG from Herb Remington in 78' and it was the best playing steel guitar I ever owned but I sold it to J.B. Van in 80' and wish I had it now too. Just goes to show you, hang on to those old Sho-Buds.

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 5:45 am    

Don Lowery has one here in Lake City, I put on new strings and played it straight, 2 Saturday nights in a row, practice jams, without the crossover because of tuning problem. It still had on the same strings that came from the factory, he has the book and bar and stuff that came with it. He wants to sell it for $2,000.00 with a shobud amp, custom. He will not break it up.
This guitar is new never played out, been in storage all it's life.

ernie

Roger Light

Sheldon, IL
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 5:47 am    

I've got one. It was my 1st steel. The back neck had been taken off when I bought it. Has 3 pedals and 1 knee lowering 4 & 8. Never could keep the thing in tune as I think it was wore out when I got it. Only gave $200 for it, so it was a cheap guitar to learn on! Maybe I'll set her up and monkey with her again for fun. If I do, I'll try to post a pic.
Mine has white fret boards too.

------------------
Rog.
New Rains D-10, Peavey Profex 2 and Nashville 1000 http://www.geocities.com/cswband6/SilverWingsBand.html

[This message was edited by Roger Light on 28 July 2006 at 06:50 AM.]

Jackie Anderson

Scarborough, ME
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 6:54 am    

I have one, in a faded peachy red, with 6+1, and I also love the tone! Mine has brass nut rollers, but I suspect that the cast frame is the biggest contributor to the distinctive tone -- it's much "ringier" than all-wood Buds. It's hard to adjust it so the crossover doesn't pop out, and I keep thinking about converting it, or having it done. Maybe making it into an LDG (like the original one) would lower the weight to where I could play it out, without having to enlist my band mates as roadies!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 8:31 am    

I used to play one. I sold it a few years ago to Forum member Larry Jones, who is still playing it.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 9:13 am    

I have the crossover part that does not work, I put the little flip up piece up where it belonged, then simply put a screw in that piece of metal behind it [a big screw] to hold it permanently in place, put those screws in every one of them so they all work & stay in tune just fine. The E9th side still has the crossover holders holding that part in place with no problem at all, no tuning issues here with this one. Of course it looks like WW II broke out underneath, but it sure plays & sounds super good, I guess it is that aluminum frame. I have a Pro III here with metal necks & it can't hold a candle to this old crossover for tone. I will have to take a picture of the underside of the crossover & stick it on here. I have a little gig to do on Monday evening, and I am taking the crossover, hope she don't disintegrate on me!! Wish me luck!

Ernie

------------------

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 9:20 am    

Sorry, forgot something, after ready Colbys reply, I am looking at the crossover pedal bar, looks like that pedal may have been an add on, the one I had years ago only had the 6 pedals also. I still have the broshure that Harry Geiman down at G&M Music in Winchester Va gave me the day I bought the first crossover model [used of course], he was so happy to have a sale for that steel, I think he would have thrown in just about anything, I know he was happy when I loaded er up in my van back then!!

Ernie

------------------

John Coop

YORKTOWN, IND. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 9:38 am    

I have 4 of them!! Coop

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 11:44 am    

Ernie, shame on you! Get that baby workin'! It can't be that difficult. Bobbe got me one back in 1968.....I wasn't in love with the mechanics, (guess Bill Rudolph has taken care of that!) but the concept,(IMHO) is the greatest. If all the hardware is there, you just need to adjust it. Is that right, John Coop? I think that model ShoBud had more wood in it than some subsequent steels! 3/4" maybe?
That might be the tone factor? Ideas?? Anyone??

John Coop

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 1:00 pm    

Those crossovers converted to the later "2 hole" pulling system make great playing Sho~Buds!! Coop

[This message was edited by JOHN COOP on 28 July 2006 at 02:16 PM.]

John Coop

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 1:19 pm    

Also with the "2 hole" pulling system, it makes adding knee levers so much easier! Coop

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 1:36 pm    

I took my crossover on a trip that eventually had me & crossover in Dallas meeting Reese & Bud Carter when Bud was playing at the Longhorn w/Dewey Groom's swing band. Reese offered to ship it home for me via air. When I picked it up at the airport, I asked the guy to stick it on the scales. It had a ShoBud volume pedal in the case, original crossover (white fretboards, 6P & 1K) It weighed 75#.....I did a double take, but I never forgot that figure! As I recall the necks were 3/4" thick & I think the deck was that thickness, too. A Zum that I got from Bobbe later was a 5/8" thick deck & of course metal necks. I don't know what aluminum frame you guys are talking about, unless you mean the rack & barrel hardware?

Larry Jones

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2006 11:35 pm    

i got mine from b0b lee a few years ago i love it its my main axe . mine stays in tune fine once i figured out that the fretboard wasn't butt up against the nut. it was about a 16th to an 8th off so the guitar was always in tune with its self but slightly off with the band. i found this out by recording it has the warmist tone ive heard. i had three guitars set up at my house last week i abc them and the shobud sounded the best they were an emmons p/p , an msa . i play hawaiian gigs and i used to use my stringmaster now i take the pedals off extend the legs and play A6 standing up. it sounds great for every thing plus you can use any tuning you want. i tune it up at the beginning of the gig and it stays in tune all night or day . i think they got a bum rap. those guitars are built like tanks and they sound great on E9 too

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 4:06 am    

Doug< I am playing that crossover, I have just about everything I need on the C6th as well as enough to do my thing on the E9th, you know I like to play instrumentals, you have heard me pick, if it was not playable, I would get rid of it, but it is playable as it is right now. As to converting, I have been told by several that it changes the tone when you take out that old changer, I am not going to risk that happening to me. I love the tone of this guitar, only wish I would have kept my first crossover, and skipped buying the other 20 or so steels that I have owned!!
Doug, If you doubt the ol baby is 'playable' hop in your car, drive down & I'll be happy to give you a demonstration on the crossover!!

Ernie

------------------

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 4:15 am    

I had one, and it was great; the sweetest tone I ever had. It just didn't have enough "edge" to cut through in today's tracks full of R&R guitar, so I had to let the ol' gal go.

------------------
Mikey D...

John Coop

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 4:32 am    

Ernie..I use the original changer. I just change the racks to the 2 hole pull system. It does not change the tone in doing this. Coop

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 9:25 am    

Coop: put a picture on here of that 2 hole rack system, if you can. I would like to take a look at how that works? I am sure that would be interesting for the other fellows that are using these ol shobuds, I cannot imagine the guitar I am playing not being able to 'cut through' a couple of guitar players, I would love that challenge!!

Ernie

------------------

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 9:46 am    

I used to have one a long time ago, it belonged to the best steel guitar player in the UK. His name is Pete Haywood, I eventually tracked it down and bought it, the only trouble was somebody had stripped the rear neck off and loafered it.I eventually sold it, and the guy I sold it to still has it (Keith Buck.) But yes a beautiful tone. What Sho-Bud hasn't???
Cheers Dave.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 9:57 am    

I play one. No C6th neck anymore and undercarriage was redone by Marrs.
Great tone.

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 2:20 pm    

Ebay link

I just bought this one on eBay as a restoration project. I hope it works and I haven't paid too much for it.

[This message was edited by b0b on 01 August 2006 at 03:37 PM.]

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 3:43 am    

Played the ol crossover last evening for a hour & a half show, I was very pleased with the sound & did not have to do any 'retuning' after I tuned it when I got it out of the case. I will be using it on a few other little gigs in the very near future, it was fun play such a piece of steel guitar history!!

Ernie

------------------

Rich Gilbert

Freeport, Maine
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 1:39 pm    

I had a Crossover and the tone was great, but man, I was under that thing all the time! I can't say I miss it.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 7:51 pm    

I had a used Crosover , around 1980,and played it 2 nights a week in a club in Interlochen , Michigan. The pedals were kinda noisy and loose and clanky but the crossover switch worked real good and it sounded very good. I liked it, but it was so heavy and Only l knee lever so I sold it. I almost bought one new in about 1965...al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/