The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Prices going down?
Ron !

Post  Posted 31 Jul 2006 4:42 pm    

Is it me or are the prices going down on used steels?I see so many for sale posts and at such low price.I am beginning to wonder.

Ron

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 7:37 am    

I haven't noticed anything significant, other than the "ebayflation" where everyone thinks they've got a collectors' item. There does seem to be some flattening on the prices for older guitars (15-30 years) that are limited in their levers or raise/lower capabilities. Also, some new s-10's go for almost 3 grand, and when they're sold, they won't bring anywhere near that.

The market seems to be going towards more complex/expensive guitars on one hand, and more simple/inexpensive guitars on the other. The "middle ground" (a plain ol' D10 8+4, or an S10 3+2) seems to be rapidly declining in popularity.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 8:54 am    

I've seen that too, Donny. I been thinking that maybe there are two camps forming. One wants the best tech, highest quality and biggest bang for the buck so that what they buy will last for many, many years to come...thus avoiding GAS and GRS (guitar replacement syndrome)and it's associated expense. The other wants the ultimate tone machine that has the most beautiful, vintage cabinet that can be found anywhere.

The middle ground steels seem to be rather unpopular, or at least can't draw premium prices, these days.

Of course, this could all change next month.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 9:10 am    

I have not noticed the prices falling but it does appear that it's taking a bit longer to sell most guitars. Maybe that is a sign that prices will start to correct as they should.

What I have noticed in the past 18 months or so is that a majority of used steels are priced close to new even when they are well used and many years old. Nothing wrong with pricing a like-new guitar close to new but some folks need to take a hard reality check in my opinion.

I would like to buy another guitar but I am willing to wait until the market pricing corrects itself.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 1:34 pm    

Well someone will chop my chord i'm sure!!!
There was a day not tooooo long ago,a person could buy a single steel for 5 to 8 hundred dollars. I bought several mavericks for 250 to 300 brand new. and it makes me sick to see these same guitars selling for almost a thousand dollars now.

I;ll be honest as i know how to be,before i pay 1000.00 for a pc. of junk i would buy a brand new steel for mabe 1500.00 now.

OK,on the other hand,i tryed to buy a 1950 ford last wk. from a friend and he wants 25,000.00 for it!!!!!!!

I bought a 1972 olds cutlass brand new for 3600.00 tooooooo.

I think middle class steels should come down.

Many people i feel would play if they didn't have to pay 2500.00.

Thats just my opinion
farris

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 7:36 am    

At $5295 for a new Millenium for example, I don't see prices going down, myself...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 2:34 pm    

Quote:
At $5295 for a new Millenium for example, I don't see prices going down, myself...

I bought mine when they first came out, when D10's started at $6,000.

Still, pedal steels are a bargain, the most expensive being an Anapeg...at around 7 grand.

Let's see what a "good 'un" goes for in the world of new straight guitars...

Gibson 3-P/U Les Paul Custom
List $6,187...street price $3,900

Gibson "VOS" Les Paul
List $7,599...street price $4,900

Gibson (Sunburst) Super-400 CES
List $16,362...street price $10,500

Gibson "Clinton" Natural Finish
List $31,676...street price $10,700

Gretsch "White Penguin"
List $3,979...street price $2,785

Fender '52 RI Tele
List $1,928...street price $1350

Fender LTD Edition 3TS Tele
List $$5,000...Street Price $3,500

Fender "Mary Kaye" Stratocaster
List $7,399...street price $5,200

Now, with numbers like that on simple-ass straight guitars, try and tell me that 5 grand is way too much for a custom made top-tier D10 pedal steel.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 4:31 pm    

Sorry, I wasn't inferring that 5K+ was too much for a premium steel, but how many steelers can afford that? I know I can't - 5K is the price of a good used car to me, and furthermore, I don't think steelers are the ones paying the outlandish prices for those six-stringers either. Anybody with me here?

[This message was edited by Barry Blackwood on 03 August 2006 at 05:32 PM.]

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 9:58 pm    

I can't even afford $2000-$2400 for a new steel, let alone 5 grand. My most expensive guitar is my Am Strat Deluxe (the top of the line fender production guitar), for which I paid $950 two years ago. My jazz guitar is an Ibanez Artcore AM75 (looks like a little 335) that I got used for $275.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 10:10 pm    

Seems to me that the prices on used pedal steels have been going up. I sold two D-10's just a few years ago for well under $1000, and that was market value. One was a Sho-Bud and the other was a Speedy West Marlen. I haven't seen any deals like that lately. Old D-10's seem to be going for at least $1600.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog

Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 3:54 am    

I bought used for my first 3 steels. My first was a ZBD10, which my good friwnd Davey Alley practically gave me. Sold it, got a GFI for around 1400, traded even for a Carter SD10 3@5. Nv 112 for around 400. The Carter is the most expensive guitar I,ve ever owned. Used sd10s are on the forum all the time for 1500 or less. JP

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 6:25 am    

I see a lot of good used pedal steels for sale at quite affordable prices. However, the ones that carry a reputation for great tone and etc. bring a premium: ie Emmons p/p's and Sho~Bud's LDG and etc.
The other considerable brands are still great guitars but depreciate more rapidly in my opinion.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 1:28 am    

Ron, i've noticed that prices have been goin' up rather than down in the last 2 years
the US $ has lost 25 % of it's value !

example - a used Gibson EH150 used to fetch ( on ebay) 750/900 $ 2 years ago
they are now goin' for approx 1200 $

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 2:50 am    

prices only go down if a Seller decides to change the low end of the marketplace..( bail out if you will ) it doesn't matter if it's Bubble Gum, Steel Guitars or Houses...

This past week my Tele bandmate was offered a Rivera Duo 100 amp,condition 10 , which sell new for around $2100 ,for $1000.. He offered the Seller $800 and a deal was made...although in this case an excellent deal was made, the amp is still worth probably $1300 to $1500..

For whatever reason the seller decided to bail...go figure ,all we know is he is trying to raise cash fast for a new Martin Guitar...

This did not change the market on Rivera Duo 100 amps..thats for certain...

Concerning Steels , I couldn't disagree more about prices dropping. I have been fortunate to own perhaps 6 or 7 Steels the past few years, and sold them all ( except 1 ) for more than the purchase price. That my friends is not a price reduction. They were all sold at a fair going market price with some wiggle room.

Historically folks get a low offer out of the gate and sell. They tend to not wait for the marketplace to come around.

Buy smart, sell smart...

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 05 August 2006 at 04:02 AM.]

Ron !

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 3:08 am    

Tony in most cases the seller wants to buy new gear.That results in the fact that they want to sell out quick.But what I ment in this topic was that even Dealers go down in price.
MO is that dealers want to sell more items in less time.Of course..making parts(that are needed for the steel guitar)in bulk results in the fact that prices can go down a little.

However....b0b is right about them old D10's.Some go for prices that are beyond believe.Sho-Buds are up the roof.Not to mention the P/P's
You can buy a Carter these days that goes for the same price as a 72 P/P.Personally I would go for the Carter cause they are not that limited.And with the BCT on it they have a darn good sound to.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 4:42 am    

Ron I hear ya but even dealers will not sell for less than what they paid...or at least they won't be dealers long if they do..

Generally when someone, anyone, sells at a bargain price , something else is going on which is not related to market value.

t

Ron !

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 5:19 am    

au contraire mon ami,

If dealers have the opportunity to sell beneath the price they will always have something instored for you as buyer.
This is called sales technique.Not only common in the music industry but any department you can think of.Take for instance this....and believe me people fall for this to.

Imagine this:

A dealer from let's say a car is putting an add in the paper telling people that he has a new model for sale at $14.965.
Why do you think he don't make that price $15.000?Because people will not buy it.It looks to expensive.The first price looks better and people believe it to.
But the price of steel guitars seems to be goin down because people don't want to give up their luxury and who can blame them.
More players are satisfied with a cheaper model.Result::builders have to drop prices.
There are a couple builders that don't do that because of the fact that those builders have a good name for building top notch instruments.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Steenwijk on 05 August 2006 at 06:19 AM.]

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 6:35 am    

A lot of times you can buy a new guitar for the same, or less, money than for an old Emmons or Sho~Bud.

However, after a few years just look at what they are worth. The old Emmons or Sho~Bud has gone up in value while the value of your "new" guitar has headed south.

[This message was edited by Erv Niehaus on 05 August 2006 at 07:36 AM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 8:13 am    

Ron, what I said was..

If Dealers sell all there items for less than they paid for them they won't be dealers very long..

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 05 August 2006 at 10:01 AM.]

Ron !

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2006 9:08 am    

ooops...my misstake.Didn't see it that way...sorry Tony