The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aluminum Cross Shafts
Fay Reid

Orono, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 9:13 pm    

Is their some reason why my D12 Classic MSA was assembled using steel cross shafts instead of aluminum? According to my calculations, this modification would save about 2.5 pounds on the weight of the guitar. The guitar has 15 shafts at 3/8" diameter, each about 12" long. I'm getting to the age where I don't need 2.5 extra pounds around my middle or on the guitar. I guess the extra weight on the guitar will look after my waistline.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 9:53 am    

Steel is stronger, and less likely to deflect.

Ron !

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 10:15 am    

There have been many topics about this.I build my steels with aluminum shafts only.But mine have support in the middle.
But Richard is right.Steel is stronger.But don't forget that all that steel gains weight on your steel.And it depends what kind of aluminum you are using.
There are so many different kinds of aloys.

Ron

Fay Reid

Orono, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 12:37 pm    

Am I correct to assume that the amount of torqe twist in a 3/8" aluminum shaft would be comparable to that of steel? Even if aluminum has some flex, would it matter as long as the flex is consistent each time the rod is put in motion since during tuning the flex is always accounted for? Sorry to rehash an old topic, but I'd like to make the switch in a major restructuring of the instrument and I didn't want to proceed without some other input.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 1:03 pm    

steel cross shafts transfers the sound through out the guitar and give it strength for years to come, some MSA guitars were the plywood body type with formica overlay and you have to have steel cross shafts for them or they will flex too much and deadened the sound over time, but if you have the XL wood lacquer bodies then the aluminum shafts could be used.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 1:45 pm    

Fay, if your guitar has a center-support (and I'm sure it does), then you can switch to aluminum cross-rods to save some weight. Don't use a soft grade, though (like they have at Home Depot). Get some good 6061 T-6 aluminum rod, and you'll be just fine.

Another way to save weight is to cut off the portion of the legs that you'll never need or use. E-mail me, and I can give you details on that, too!

To save weight on mine, I even took off the back cover plate, and played for years like that! (The guitar was still "solid as a rock".) If you don't like the "look" of that, you can always replace it with a piece of 1/4" pine wood, sanded smooth and sprayed with aluminum paint. Believe me, no one will ever notice!

Ron !

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 2:34 pm    

6061 and 6081 both will do fine.The 6081 is even stronger then the 6061.
Donny just explained it to you that if you want to loose weight on the guitar then there are several things that you can change.
I never thought about the extra length of the inner legs tough.
Thanks Donny.

Ron

Lamar Colvin

Havana, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 4:19 pm    

I am the builder of "LAMAR"pedal steel guitars. I switched from stainless steel to aluminum cross shafts about 12 years ago. I find no difference in performance or tone. And you're right,it does save about 2.5 pounds on a D-10

Ron !

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 4:31 pm    

Lamar....shoot me a mail...I am interested.Saw your website was down.

Ron

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 7:20 pm    

To lose weight on your steel try carring the legs and pedal bar separately in their own case, or have Don Burrows make some lighter weight legs for your steel, I think he makes Aluminum legs.

Fay Reid

Orono, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2006 9:25 pm    

Thanks for the advice on the grades of aluminum that are suitable. There may be a supplier of the desired 3/8" rod on eBay.
I have already split the guitar in two parcels. The legs, pedalbar, and pedal rods are carried in a vinyl pouch, while the body is packed into a Styrofoam case that I constructed from 2" SM blue and covered with vinyl. The new case gives an advantage of 18 pounds over the old MSA case. A long wooden handle, the length of the case makes for easy handling from the back of a wagon or van. I have photos and plans if anyone is interested. Just email.