The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to remove a crossbar?
Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 8:37 am    

I have an all pull Emmons legrande LL and I want to remove a crossbar that was originally made for a 9th foot pedal. I have no idea how to do this. I need to create some space to install another knee lever. The cross bar ends are not riding on alu pedestals.

Thnx for help

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 12:09 pm    

If I'm not mistaken, you push the crossbar one way or the other. One end has a spring on the end and you need to compress the spring to be able to get the other end pulled free.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2006 3:16 pm    

Sigi, the crossbar is not installed in a way that you can remove it. There is a spring loaded dowel in one end of the crossbar and you somehow have to devise a method of moving that spring loaded dowel back enough to remove the crossbar. Ron told me that at Emmons they cut the bar to get it out. I would try some other method first, perhaps drill a small hole or two in the area of the spring and try to "unload" the spring. I know of cases where a guy managed to use something thin and slide in against the dowel and push it back which would be a tedious thing but in some cases it worked. You might try wedging a couple of single edged razor blades in on each side of the dowel and work it back.
Jerry

[This message was edited by Jerry Roller on 01 August 2006 at 05:30 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 12:57 am    

they don't come out.

that was easy.

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 9:20 am    

If you want it out; like Jerry said, you have to cut it out. I tried everything; but ended up having to cut it out with a Dremel.
Ricky

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 11:36 am    

I asked Ron Jr. how he got them in there in the first place. He said he put the front of the shaft in the front hole, then used a stiff putty knife to slide the back of the shaft down until it goes into the hole, actually prying the back apron out. If the back apron didn't break or separate when he put them in, do you think it can stand the stress of taking them out in reverse order? I can't say I would do this to a guitar of mine.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 4:51 pm    

The end of the cross rod that goes into the front apron bushing is turned to fit the bushing. The end of the cross rod that goes into the rear apron has no turned end, instead it short enough to not reach the back apron when the front end is in, so, there is a hole drilled into that end of the cross rod and there is a compression spring inserted into the hole then a steel dowel pin is inserted and the putty knife is used to hold the dowel back out of the way compressing the spring. When the dowel is centered on the hole in the back apron the knife is removed which releases the dowel so then the compression spring is holding the dowel in the hole. If you can devise a method of pushing that dowel back into the hole against the pressure of the compression spring then you can remove the crossrod. It makes for a very good installation but a tough removal. The Rains is done the same way except Bob machines a slot in the side of the crossrod so you can use a small tool such as an ice pick to push the compression spring and dowel back and easily remove the crossrod. A very neat idea.
Jerry

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 5:19 pm    

most are not gonna like me for this one!!!

if you measure real close you can drill thru the back side with a small say 1/8 drill, then when you hit the end of the rod you can push it in until it turns loose..
using the drill bit.

afterwards put a small screw in the wood hole. figure the length and cover the hole.

next time you will remove the screw, and push the plunger in.

I like zum, you take the formica off the back and slide the bushing and shaft out.

farris

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 5:55 pm    

Farris, no, no, no, please no!
Jerry

jay thompson

east peoria, il USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 6:18 pm    

Buy a pedal cross bar @ $25 or, knee lever cross bar @ $15 USD from the Emmons Co. Use a Dremel Tool to cut the old cross bar for easy removal. Regards, Jay Thompson

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2006 8:52 pm    

JERRY

I have laughed my rump off!!!!!

Now thats a man who really cares for his guitar.

And i was talking about precision drilling toooo.

not many times you will hit the right place huh.

If you miss, wow what a mess up that will be.

Sorry guys, i wasn't thinking, most people don't have the capability of measuring that close, and if you lean the drill a little wow DAM I MISSED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

farris

Sigi Meissner

Duebendorf, Switzerland
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2006 11:06 am    

Thnx for your efforts. I'm a bit overtaxed
with english. Some things I can only guess. (What the heck is a dremel?) All in all I'v come to the conclusion that the removal is to tough (As tough as to translate accurate Jerrys statement) When even Emmons would cut the bar to get it out how many hours would I spent on a perfect method?
What speaks against keeping the foot pedal crossbar and simply install a kneelever on it? The crossbar has even a perfect adjustable stop
Has anybody ever done this?