The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  string gauges
Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 7:11 am    

When I use heavy gauge strings on my electric six string I notice there is
an increase in both volume and sustain.
I would assume then that the same would hold for using heavier gauges on the steel.
Am using George L, E-9 Chromatic tension
balanced on my Emmons pp and they are pretty
good but am considering trying a heavier
gauge set of Jagwire or GHS strings. Any
thoughts or suggestions on this?Thanks,Mike

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 7:50 am    

I don't think you can compare what happens with a 6 string to a pedal steel. You also have to consider the steel's tuning and what the constant raising and lowering of strings will do to them - both in mechanical tension and to the actual pedal or knee lever pressure.

You also have to consider what you are doing to a particular string, for the gauge. e.g the 6th string on E9th (G#), if you are both raising and lowering the string. I wouldn't go any larger than a .012 on the 3rd string, etc.

On an accoustic guitar the string gauges and the distance from the guitar body contributes to volume, etc. On a pedal steel if you want more volume, just turn the volume control or pedal up.

Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 7:55 am    

Thanks Jack.I think I will put together one full set of individual strings from Jagwire and also one from GHS that exactly match the gauge I am currently using. I remember years ago Jimmy Crawford warned me not to change gauges on the JCH that I bought from him and I think I will follow his advice with my Emmons. regards,Mike

[This message was edited by Mike Shefrin on 29 July 2006 at 09:11 AM.]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2006 8:07 am    

Sort of dissenting opinion...

Trying different string gages WILL get you different sounds, and a different "feel". Your pull lengths will change, which changes the whole musical quality of the guitar. It's fun, easy and hurts nothing to try - and you WILL get a tonal improvement, normally, with a slightly heavier gage - more punch and the guitar will cut better; sometimes you get increased sustain.

You can also adjust the pickup height, which can have a dramatic affect on tone. Most players never touch this, assuming it's "right"...but you can change attack, sustain and tonal qualities by small changes in height.

Different types of string winds also make a difference - try flatwounds, roundwounds, "ground" wounds...all have a different feel and sound.

Some of these things are very subtle, others more dramatic - but I'd never just kep a guitar set up like it came from the builder without trying these "non-invasive" modifications - you may find THE tone you're looking for. You'll never know until you try. Some players sell guitars that "don't sound good" that just aren't set up right for THAT player.

Have fun -

Jim