The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone try the new Quilter 202 yet?
Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 1:04 pm    

Looks like a pretty well thought out product that improves on the 200.

Any reports? Seriously looking at this.. even if it costs me my tube snob status Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 5:26 pm    

Look at the scope waveforms of the real tube amp (Marshall JCM 800) and the Quilter Tone Block 202 in this YouTube video. Pat demonstrates how the 202 models not only the harmonic distortion and tube push pull crossover distortion, but also the precise interaction with a real speaker. To me the whole video was uber impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAEdc1l-t6g
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2019 6:29 pm    

Greg.. Igreat link.. I watched that and a couple of “guitar” demo’s that sounded great. I have not heard a steel through one but would like to. I am selling one of my tube amps and think I am going to replace it with either the Quilter or the Milk Man “the Amp”

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 9:52 am    

Hal Braun wrote:
Greg.. Igreat link.. I watched that and a couple of “guitar” demo’s that sounded great. I have not heard a steel through one but would like to. I am selling one of my tube amps and think I am going to replace it with either the Quilter or the Milk Man “the Amp”

Hal, I ordered one online. will arrive later this week. I will post my thoughts on it when it does.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2019 11:39 am    

I heard one in a live setting. It sounded great.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 8:07 am    

What is the difference in the 200 and the 202? I had the 200 I think,,,but never could get the sound out of it that I wanted. No, I had a 101,,,didn't like it. Difference between 101 and 202,,,,????

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2019 3:33 am    

I got my 202. I also have a 200. I was looking for something that sounded good both with guitar and steel (I've been spoiled with tube amps). The 202 is an improvement over the 200 problock for pedal steel as it has more eq options. I need to spend some more time with it to make a decision on whether or not I will keep it, but if I do decide to keep it I will sell the pro block.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2019 7:55 pm    

I just bought one today and used it with my EXCEL at an outdoors gig. It performed very well but I need to spend some more time tweaking. The “full q/ vintage” switch has not yet been explored. Tomorrow I’ll try it out with a RAM Console Grande so we’ll see how it handles the Gibson type of sound. I own three Quilters so you could say that I am a fan. The size and power of this one is a real plus in my book.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 4:33 am    

Kevin what speaker did you use it with ?

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 9:04 am    

A couple of weeks ago, Jim Palenscar hosted a hang at his Steel Guitars of North County. A bunch of local steelers were there, including Pat Quilter and Travis Toy (who is touring out this way). Travis had a 202 in a Quilter block dock with a TT-12 and it sounded pretty great to me.

Last edited by Tom Dillon on 4 Aug 2019 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 9:39 am    

That’s what I’m running sans dock block. My TT12 is housed in a Rick Johnson cab. Sounds great !

Last edited by Karen Sarkisian on 5 Aug 2019 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

K Maul

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 4:13 pm    

Karen,
I have used it in an open back pine cab with a Tonker Lite neo speaker. Today I used a Peavey neo 15 in a Fender Excelsior cab. I removed the original amp but kept the cab because it looks cool. They miked the cab rather than DI because it was a festival. It sounded good and clean with some growl.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Donner, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2019 6:55 pm    

Thanks for the updates.. one report I got from Chuck Campbell after he played a gig with one through a Fender Twin was that at higher volumes it is kind of “more of the same” just louder. Now Chuck’s steel playing uses more effects than most on here, but he found it a bit lacking.. not bad, just lacking the warmth. He did also said it might get better with more experience/tweaking..

I guess that since most of these amps are trying to get really close to replicating a tube amp sound without the weight and hassle.. I think I’m just going to just get a lighter tube amp.. Princeton Reverb maybe? I can still hump that Very Happy

Maybe a Deluxe Reverb when I have had my Cheerios.. the amp I sold was a fabulous 15/30 monster with a 15” speaker that weighed about 90 lbs.. so either Fender will seem pretty portable after that.. probably get one of the smaller SS amps to use with headphones to keep my marriage going.

K Maul

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 6:15 am    

Here I am sitting in with Bill Kirchen at Sportmens Tavern outdoor park festival yesterday in Buffalo NY. The amp is behind me. It sounded good in this context.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 10:52 am    

What would be the advantage of this unit and an external speaker over a Steelaire?

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 3:08 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
What would be the advantage of this unit and an external speaker over a Steelaire?

Mike, I wish I still had my Steelaire so I could compare them. I bought it because I think Pat Quilter is doing great stuff with his solid state technology and the 202 is new and super portable and the ability to use it with different speakers is a big plus for me. I have a gig coming up where I will be playing both steel and guitar and I think this amp will give me decent tone for both when used with TT12 speaker I have. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this thread !

K Maul

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2019 5:49 pm    

I bought an Aviator 8 initially due to it’s size and versatility. I never saw a need for all the bells and whistles a Steelaire has, plus I can use a 12, a 15 or whatever. That just worked better for my needs. The 202 is even more compact.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 12:03 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

Mike,

It makes it really easy to bring your amp on fly dates and either use the back line speakers or house pa. And to Karen’s point, I think it is voiced a little better for guitar, and takes pedals well..

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 2:06 pm    

Thanks. I only play the steel these days and don't need a guitar amp. But it seems to me that one could get a steelaire and set one channel for steel and the other for guitar.

I particularly like the Steelaire's powered effects loop. I have a pedal* that more or less simulates a Dobro tone hard wired into mine. Instant pedabro at the flip of a switch.

*I use a Dunlop Q-zone pedal to get the Dobro sound. This pedal has been discontinued, but there are always a few of them for sale on E-Bay.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2019 2:36 pm    

I spent some time chatting with Pat Q about the 202 at Steel Guitars of North County. If I understand correctly, a few new things in the 202 that would be different from Steelaire:
- The 200W power section has been improved. Not sure of the details.
- The 202 has an output with cabinet simulation. It's not an IR.
- The 202 EQ has three modes: Fender like mid-scooped EQ (the Vintage mode) vs. the normal mode where the EQ is flat with all knobs at noon. vs. a FRFR mode for use with Amp modelling

Here's the 202 manual:
https://www.quilterlabs.com/manuals/222/001013_-_rev_b.pdf

I have the Overdrive 200. Sounds great with steel and especially good with guitar. The built in Dumble style overdrive stage is excellent. Many of the online OD200 demos go way overboard with the gain. It has a lot more nuance than those videos show. No reverb tho. Same small size and power as the 202.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2019 12:16 pm     quilter 202 settings

Hi all and a quick question.

Can anyone offer up some decent beginning settings for the new Tone Block 202. I personally do not own one but I have a friend who does and he is struggling with his sound. He is not on the internet much and I'm trying to give him a little help with this. ( by way of phone )

He is running the 202 through a 1501 - 4 Black Widow speaker in an open back cabinet. This may not be the best match as it seems players are using the deeper or darker sounding TT speakers with the 202.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ray D

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 9:33 am    

I own a 202. So far I’ve put about 8-9 gigs on it for electric guitar, banjo, mandolin and pedal steel. I quite like it. But, the real secret to using these is making sure that you really like your speaker.

For mandolin, banjo, and acoustic guitar so run the 202 into a Raezers Edge 1x12 loaded with a Fane coaxial speaker. These speakers are full range, and sound absolutely killer with acoustic instruments. I am only recently using an amp behind me onstage for acoustic gigs, and I quite like it with this setup. The 202 is set to FRFR mode....I keep it set flat and dial in my acoustic sound on my acoustic preamp (Grace Felix). After I get my sound dialed in as close as possible, I usually do some minor tweaking on the 202...usually just to kill bass.

I’m still trying to decide on a speaker for electric and pedal steel gigs. I got to demo a TT12 for a few weeks with the 202 and absolutely loved it with pedal steel. I did a small amount of recording with it, and while it didn’t wow me during the actual tracking, upon listening back the tone was damn near perfect for steel. It was definitely a modern steel sound, but a very very good one.

I didn’t really like the TT with electric guitar, but it wasn’t really designed for that. I ultimately sent it back because I want a speaker that can pull double duty on electric and pedal steel. If I just needed it for steel, the TT is amazing.

I have run the 202 through a Celestion Alnico Cream 90 and it sounded excellent....warm and natural. Great overdriven. I also ran it through my Deluxe loaded with a Weber 12F150. The 12F150 sounded great with the Quilter (almost identical to the Deluxe itself)...but it’s not my favorite steel speaker.

I just bought an EVM12L to use specifically for double duty with the 202. I’ll report back after I get a chance to really put it through it’s paces...

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 10:15 am     Re: quilter 202 settings

Ray DeVoe wrote:
Hi all and a quick question.

Can anyone offer up some decent beginning settings for the new Tone Block 202. I personally do not own one but I have a friend who does and he is struggling with his sound. He is not on the internet much and I'm trying to give him a little help with this. ( by way of phone )

He is running the 202 through a 1501 - 4 Black Widow speaker in an open back cabinet. This may not be the best match as it seems players are using the deeper or darker sounding TT speakers with the 202.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ray D

Ray,

I recently got one, and have had it to one jam session I attend regularly. I got some great feedback on the tone, and the other steel player who’s usually there said it sounded great and really cut through the mix well.

I’m using it through a Telonics 15” neo in one of their cabs. Here are the settings I’ve settled on for the moment. Reverb is set at zero because I use a Digitech RP150 for fx.

Skeeter

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 10:19 am    

Ps...that pic is from when I tried out a buddy’s 202 which he had mounted in a Nashville 400 cab. I took a pic so I wouldn’t forget the settings lol.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2020 11:31 am    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Look at the scope waveforms of the real tube amp (Marshall JCM 800) and the Quilter Tone Block 202 in this YouTube video. Pat demonstrates how the 202 models not only the harmonic distortion and tube push pull crossover distortion, but also the precise interaction with a real speaker. To me the whole video was uber impressive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAEdc1l-t6g

Indeed a very interesting video Greg, but I’m puzzled why it didn’t go on a bit longer.

When Pat plugged in the 202 toward the end the playing demo by the guitarist was very short compared to the Marshall earlier in the video. I guess between Pat and the guitar player it didn’t occur to them to tweak the settings on the 202 because to my ears it sounded sort of “muffled” and frankly like crap compared to when the guy was playing through the Marshall.

I’m going to give Pat Quilter the benefit of the doubt here since he knows a thousand times more about this stuff than I’ll know in a couple lifetimes. But if my only exposure were to the sound the guitarist got on the 202 at the end compared to the Marshall, sine wave discussion aside - it would be a no sale for me.