The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  All Pull Changer
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 4:22 am    

I wonder who FIRST designed the all pull changer that is used on most everything today,,??,,,was it ever patented??

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 5:34 am    

The first 3-piece (2 steel scissor fingers and an aluminum control finger), all-pull changer mechanism with individual tunable rods per pull that worked properly was designed by Bud Carter in 1966-1967. It was put into production in 1971 or 1972 when MSA merged with Micro to become MSA Micro. Almost all the present day changers are copies of, modifications to , or improvements on this original design.

It was not patented.

------------------
John Fabian
Carter Steel Guitars

www.steelguitar.com
www.steelguitarinfo.com
www.carterstarter.com
www.magnumsteelguitars.com

[This message was edited by John Fabian on 05 June 2006 at 06:35 AM.]

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 5:46 am    

May I ask why it was not patented?

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 7:00 am    

Probably wouldn't have provided a $$$ benefit great enougn to be worth the cost of the patent. Whose gonna infringe and get wealthy? General Motors? General Electric? NOT!

Besides, patents are usually used as a weapon.

Sea changing innovations usually stand on their own merit.

My compliments to Bud Carter though... too.

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 05 June 2006 at 08:01 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 7:39 am    

Wrong John, "Multi Kord" in 1946 is the correct answer. Call me. I'll send you pictures.
Three piece with raise and lower bars with a manipulated cam that the string was conected to. Just like all pull setups today, except the ones today pull from the "pickup" end".
Also, the Fender in the early sixtys had steel lower and raise bars that manipulated a string cam. There were thousands of these built and sold. Now, the first changer to use a shaft through the center of the finger cam WITH raise and lower bars may well have been Buds modification in the mid sixties. (and copied again by most)
But there were MANY all-pull setups being built before these days by Sho-Bud (finger-tip), Baldwin, Z-B, and several others including myself. But most of these used the two piece finger units.

There are patents that go back to 1939 for all pull changers, the Kelly system was one of the firsts in the thirties.
I keep waiting for someone to reinvent the electric solinoid pull system. Or should I say "re-invent", Electra-Dair steel guitar company made many in the thirties also.

Hard to really say who invented what anymore, I think everything was invented in the thirty and forties but has been smoothly perfected over the past fifty years.

I do seriously feel that Bud Carter is one of the more inovative, creative builders and designers of the century. Plus being one of the nicer folks in the industry. And thank you John for have the foresight in business to give Bud the vehicle in which to induldge in his craft. You two are "kickin' butt" in this industry. Best wishes.

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 05 June 2006 at 08:43 AM.]

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 8:13 am    

Bobbe,

Thank you for pointing out the other contributors to the all-pull changer as well as the kind words about Bud. I am aware of these other systems.

The components of the system I described above, however, has basically become the industry standard configuration

Quote:
Now, the first changer to use a shaft through the center of the finger cam WITH raise and lower bars may well have been Buds modification in the mid sixties. (and copied again by most)

Quote:
I think everything was invented in the thirty and forties but has been smoothly perfected over the past fifty years.

No argument here.

[This message was edited by John Fabian on 05 June 2006 at 09:17 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2006 12:16 pm    

Well then who am I supposed to argue with?
Ha! Ha!

Seriously, no argument here either,
Your good friend and dealer,
Bobbe

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2006 4:38 am    

I was under the impression that the all pull changer, as we know it today, was pretty much due to the efforts and talents of Bud Carter. The rest of it is a very intresting bit of history. Thanks,,,