The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Builder/Player
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 8:14 am    

Hi,
As most of you know, most builders are also players, and my Dad did both pretty damn good.
This post is about my Dad's audio clips that are on my web sight now!
These were recorded in the mid 50's with Jimmy Rivers Band, my Dad played steel with Jimmy many years, and left the band in 59, when we moved to Red Bluff, Ca. The two cuts are on a 45, Cavalier Label, Rivers is playing guitar and Horn... My Dad had just put the pedals on a few days before they went in the stuido to record the 45. As most of you know, Vance Terry took Dads place in the Band. My Dad had built Vance a few guitars, and the last one was a 20 pedal Monster!!!
Anyway, hope you enjoy the clips.
I do believe you need to be a player to build a steel!!, And if you look around, all the great guitars today have a pretty good player building them. Check it out and enjoy the past filled with nice memories...go to my web sight and click on Memories then Videos and you'll see the place/ click on Chuck Wright thank's and enjoy....

------------------
M.S.A.
M.S.A. Millennium
S-12 9 & 6
Bb is where it's at!

Peavey-2000-PX-300

David's Web Page

Biker

[This message was edited by David Wright on 30 May 2006 at 09:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by David Wright on 30 May 2006 at 12:29 PM.]

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:21 am    

Nice tribute Bud. Your dad sounded fine. I tried the video clip, the second just loaded a square the said Siloam Springs, then stopped, will not load any further. I sure like the sound of the Millennium.

------------------
Howard

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 9:47 am    

David-Thanks for your post on you Dad. I knew Your Dad Chuck and met him once at the First Tom Bradshaw West Coast steel show in Napa. Vance , Reece Noel Boggs, and Zane Beck was there too. Chuck Wright was not only a great player, but a knowledgeable builder and most importantly a real nice guy.
I also met him when he was at MSA in Dallas, and I got my D12 MSA and he setup the knee levers for me. That was in the old Bldg before Micro. Reece and Bud Carter were both helpful too.....al

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 11:11 am    

howard, the blues video is being fix...check back later...thanks
and thanks Al..... I fell he has been over looked as a builder in many ways... but thats another can of worms to open !!Rolling Eyes

[This message was edited by David Wright on 30 May 2006 at 12:15 PM.]

[This message was edited by David Wright on 30 May 2006 at 12:30 PM.]

Joe McHam

Houston, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 11:52 am    

What a steel your Dad build.. we had a D-12 with 14 pedals and 6 knees.. beautiful guitar in every respect.. I wished I still had it.. The double row of pedals took some getting use to.. Tell Chuck thanks for building a superb pedal steel..

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2006 1:43 pm    

Very nice David.

Back in the mid-'70s Jimmy Rivers would routinely drop in to the Placerville night club I was playing weekends in. A couple of times your dad came in with Jimmy, and although I never had the pleasure of hearing him play, he was a very nice fellow to talk PSGs with. As much a monstor that Jimmy was on guitar (also a super nice fellow), I would have loved to hear them play together!

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

Billy Wilson

El Cerrito, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2006 2:30 pm    

David, I got to meet your dad once, coincidently, a day after I recieved a four neck Wright Custom steel from Lee Jeffriess (Paul Warnick now has it) He said: "You got one of my four necks? I didn't make very many of those!" I also held on to Vance's 20 pedal pink monster for a few weeks. Wendell Moore has got that steel. You are holding on to quite a legacy there.

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 May 2006 3:38 pm    

I met David's Dad, Chuck, a couple of times at the old MSA diggin's. He was one hell of a player, but more important a GOOD man. He helped me with a problem with one of my steel guitars, and his fix was so common sensical (if there is such a word) it immediately impressed me with his attitude toward the instrument. It has to be pointed out that several of the 'newer innovations' came from this man's mind. For all the people in the industry to know, I personally think Chuck Wright should be vaulted very close to the head of the list of anyone's Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. What an innovator, player, and manufacturer of the instrument!! He left behind a pretty damned good kid too. Luv ya' Dave.
Phred

------------------
"From Truth, Justice is Born"--Quanah Parker-1904

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2006 3:49 pm    

David, I never met your father but I wish I could have. He sounds like a great person who loved the instrument. I never really thought of it but the builders are good players. Those guys have something not everyone has. The desire to play and build great steel guitars make those men special. I sure have deep respect for anyone who can build a steel guitar and make a living doing it.

Billy Webb

Oroville, Cal. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2006 9:47 pm    

hey David, A great tribute to your dad,brings back a lot of pleasnt memories, of a long time ago. I gigged with with your dad around the vally here for a lot of years. I was going through some old papers this morning,pertaining to my music years, and I found a couple of letters from your dad. He was dodging bullets as usual. He was always in hy demand in building guitars,and didn't know how to say no to anybody. every day when I sit down behind my wright custom D 12 that I waited so long for, I know your dad did me a lot of special things to that guitar for being a good friend. I still think most guitar builders will be playing catch up to Chuck Wright, for a lot of years to come. My cousin Jonny Dale was killed in a truck accident up in wash.28 years ago and he had an old D10 bradsrack,and had just baught a new s-12 sierra, which is 28 years old, but has only a couple of hours on it. So no matter which way I look, I see a reminder of your dad.Just keep on keepin on, Billy Webb