The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud pros- cons???
Alex Piazza

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 12:37 pm    

Ive finally decided to move up from my carter starter to a pro model guitar. I saw a guy playing a sho-bud on the opry a few nights ago. The tone was out of this world, not to mention it was one of the best looking guitars ive ever seen. Its my understanding that you cant get one new anymore. I worry about buying a guitar thats several years old. The only reason is because I have absolutley no idea how to work on a steel. it seems like theres so much going on under there that it scares me. Im sure they were built like tanks, right? What should one expect from buying an old Sho-bud as oppossed to a new pro-model guitar?

Peter

Post  Posted 23 May 2006 1:18 pm    

I got an old Sho-Bud and it was in very good condition. Like you said: The tone is out of this world.

The only thing I did not like was the fact that the parts underneath were worn out a little bit, causing the pedals and rods to be very noisy. So Ricky Davis suggested to use plumbers tape on the bell-crank swivels, which helped a lot. In addition I used foam rubber to prevent noise from the rods and I used plastic caps (from the end of a Bic pen) on the pedal stops. Now the guitar is a lot quiter.

The action of the guitar is very easy. It plays like butter. But there is another advantage of the Sho-Bud, which I never realised before I owned one.
The guitar is quite big. And because of its generous size, it seems much easier to play. You feel not cramped like you do on a more compact guitar like the P/P. I am not tall, but I can reach everything with ease.
My legs are more streched out, rather than folded up underneath (Like Fender and Emmons). And the knee lever placement is just right.

This is my favorite guitar.

------------------
Peter den Hartogh
1978 Emmons S10 P/P; 1977 Sho-Bud D10 ProIII Custom;
1975 Fender Artist S10; Remington U12; 1947 Gibson BR4;

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 1:24 pm    

Alex,
No matter what you end up with sooner or later you are gonna have to learn a little about how it works.If for nothing else but simple maintanence. That being said,They sure are a pretty looking, fine sounding steel.As far as working on them...Sho~Buds were the first "Pro" model steel I owned, and believe me , if I can learn to work on one a little , so can you.All that aside, there are a lot of more modern steels that are well liked by just about everyone but, to me , there is nothing like the tone or looks or "vibe" of a Sho~Bud....Just ask Ricky Davis, LLoyd Green,Bobbe, Duane,ect...
Think it all over well my friend. I LOVE EM! Good luck in whatever you decide.

------------------
72 Professional 8&5,73 PRO II 8&4, 79/80 PRO III 8&4,Fender Steelking, Hilton pedal, USA Tele, Fender Twin,Peterson tuner,Tut Taylor Reso's and Twang to the Bone!!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 1:25 pm    

be sure to keep in mind, that as great as the old BUDS are, they are exactly that..
OLDER

IF you have seen a player on TV sittin' behind an old Sho-Bud just be aware that it may have been completely restored, or perhaps partially restored.

Great Steels, buy smart...

Understand what you are buying...

t

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 1:57 pm    

Tony gives very good advise, Alex.
Many steels, Sho~Bud and other used are just that, old! and will more than likely need some work. Newer steel have the advantage in that case. If you buy a newer steel you will in all probability spend as much or more as if you buy an older model and do some upgrading/ re-working. Both have there Pros and Cons...see, isn't steel playing easy Good luck and DO let us know how you make out!

ps: aint they purrty?

------------------
72 Professional 8&5,73 PRO II 8&4, 79/80 PRO III 8&4,Fender Steelking, Hilton pedal, USA Tele, Fender Twin,Peterson tuner,Tut Taylor Reso's and Twang to the Bone!!

Alex Piazza

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 1:58 pm    

Tony, I wonder what kind of money you would have to spend in order to get an old Bud restored?

Alex Piazza

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 2:01 pm    

Larry, Those are beautifull!! I dont geuss those are for sale

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 2:58 pm    

Restored? depends on what it needs. If you buy one from our friend Boobe Seymour at
: www.steelguitar.net you dont have to worry about fixen em up.

------------------

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 3:08 pm    

Alex if your are looking to upgrade from a starter model I would try to stay away from sho-bud I have one one and yes it is built like a tank but has machanical problems like that of a '78 ford pinto! I love my sho-bud dearly but after a few songs I have to tune it up and that gets old, if you are on a fixed budget atleast find a store where you can try some PSG out, you may find out you like a different steel better, maybe plan your vacation around it? I bought a carter d10 and love it and since then I forgot my 'bud, Keep in mind yes sho-buds have good tone but tone is in the hands, I love how easy the pedals and knee levers are to throw on my carter. also if you have limited PSG repairing knowledge try to find someone local to help you out. good luck!

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 3:09 pm    

looks like a fine example of a labor of love larry

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 3:20 pm    

If you restore an old Sho~Bud with newer and sometimes different parts, the sound will be different as well, won't it?

Gabriel Stutz

Chicago, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 3:22 pm    

I upgraded from my student model to a ShoBud, and I found it to be a great guitar, it sounds and plays great, and is pretty stable tuning-wise. Yes, I've had to work on it a couple times, but nothing major. Besides, if nothing goes wrong, you'll never learn how to fix it. I just think the older steels "feel" good. I like the idea of mechanical perfection, but I'd say the older steels I've heard have been preferable to my ears over some of the new ones I've heard, (but, bare in mind, you don't get to hear live pedal steel as often as I'd like here in Chicago) and the tone wins over mechanics for me (within reason). There really isn't anything better than just playing guitars until one strikes you. There are obviously some geographical constraints on that luxury, though.

[This message was edited by Gabriel Stutz on 23 May 2006 at 04:25 PM.]

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 3:48 pm    

Of course I am talking replacing Sho~Bud parts, with Sho~Bud parts. Acorrding to our good friend Professer Seymour, if you replace Sho~Bud parts with Sho~Bud parts the value is retained. Others feel that you can upgrade with other than original parts and be further ahead..see, steel guitar is sooo cut and dry out of the three steels in the pics that I posted,I have less than 2,300 invested in any one steel.
If you buy ANY steel right you can affored to fix it up a little and still not have to take a second job to payfor it.

------------------

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 3:49 pm    

Just remember, Shobuds were not created equal, certain early years were far superior to some of the later models, IMO. Just like stated above, some were like Ford Pintos, some were like Ford Mustangs!

Around late '70's--early '80's, some Shobuds were made with poor quality metal, and that metal would tend to fail during a gig, so, some of the pro players tended to go back to the earlier buds, as they were reliable and have "tone to the bone". So, mechanical failure, as well as loss of tone is what makes the "older buds" worth seeking out, if you want to own a Shobud. You would do well to do your homework, first, before you buy a bud, or any used steel, for that matter. Forum moderator Ricky Davis is an excellant person to email for starters.

My favorite buds are the "The Professional" and the Pro II, also the Pro I if you want a single neck. The early round front LDG model is a very sweet guitar--single neck on a double body with the armrest pad. I love my '70 "The Professional" shobud, it has been completely refurbished by John Coop, and plays everybit as reliable as any brand new steel, yet it has that old Shobud tone!

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 5:10 pm    

now this is funny...I had a to drive a '78 ford pinto to high school (yikes!) while my dad had a gorgeous '68 mustang in the garage off limits ! take care.

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 5:17 pm    

Kaboom!!!

Stephen Winters

Scobey, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 5:59 pm    

When I graduated from my Carter Starter to a pro model guitar, I purchased a Sho-Bud Pro1 from Mr. Bobbe Seymour. It is an excellent guitar, but he made sure everything was in good shape on it.

My Pro1 has awesome tone and is easy to play. If you get an old Sho-Bud, learn how to oil and maintain it. I would advise purchasing it through someone like Mr. Seymour who will make sure it is in good mechanical condition.

I wanted a Sho-Bud all my life, and finally got one. I am very happy with it.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 6:32 pm    

Quote:
The tone was out of this world, not to mention it was one of the best looking guitars I`ve ever seen

yeap,that`s Sho~Bud

Db

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~ www.promatsteelguitars.com

Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 23 May 2006 6:32 pm    

I think a Sho-Bud D-10 Professional is an ountstanding guitar to step up to. Don't worry about the mechanics -- the old barrel changer was and still is rock solid and extremely easy to change copedants on.

You can eliminate about 90% of the jingle noises with a careful application of -- yes, that's right -- duct tape to the baskets.

Wish I still had my old one...

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 7:32 pm    

I like to use a rubber band or two if I find a little slack.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 23 May 2006 9:51 pm    

My Sho-Bud Pro-II is 25 years old

It has 4-5 different eras of parts underneith

I have no other steel mechanic within 1000 MILES of here, so I do it.

It still sounds and looks awesome.

I have added levers and many different pulls myself.
It was Emmons 8+6, now it's 8+9
and many influences in it's copedent.

If you are mechanically inept, then go for a pre-restored one.
Or a more modern steel.

But if you can fix a car you can learn to work on a Bud, and there are many people here
with great advice and available parts.

But I am sure not too far from you will be a Bud mechanic
who can help you find, and then maintain one for you

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 May 2006 12:44 am    

Larry, Awesome..any stories /history regarding the trio ?

I would give anything, well a lot , to have my Black D-10 Pro III back...

I am still considering a Pro II or III in the coming year...

ya just can't turn away from these Instruments..

Alex, hard to say about $$$ Investment to bring a Guitar to stage reliability..I think that question can only be answered when you have a Guitar in front of you, you know what it needs, what it has, and is in the hands of a very capable person to do the work...

Ricky Davis, Bobbe Seymour, Duane Marrs , Mike Cass, Bobby Bowman etc....

[This message was edited by Tony Prior on 24 May 2006 at 01:52 AM.]

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 May 2006 1:37 am    

The old Bud's are ok for historial purposes and collectors but when your ready to use a guitar to make serious money then I would seriously look at what brands the pros are playing. Not saying that all Sho-Bud's will need steady maintenance and service but to me, it's sort like buying a vehicle with a 100,000 miles already on it. You get what you pay for. Then again, a restored Bud may be just as good as a new one. They're some beautiful Bud's out there!

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 24 May 2006 1:37 am    

Well Tony,
The Brown PROII I bought sight unseen a few years ago from a fella who had just taken over a music store up in Maine. It had been in the store taken in on trade for a few years. He didnt want very much money, and I was GLAD to pay it! [you would not believe it if I told you how much] all it needed was a good cleaning, a little tweaking here and there and I had the coil taps rewound to spec. Jaw droping tone!
The Black Professional was once owned by Tommy White so you know its a keeper! Great sustain! The Pro III I got from our good friend Bobbe Seymour and is a nice player.
Has the tripple raise/double lower changer and No pot metal parts. Its the one I usually take to gig or jam with. Love em all!....The wife thinks I have enough

[This message was edited by Larry Robbins on 24 May 2006 at 02:41 AM.]

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2006 4:51 am    

my old 'Bud' has been around. a 74 and all original. as you have heard the tone is classic.

dont be intimdated in owning an old instrument.
there are many sources for repairs and replacement parts.
IMO, these steels were well made and they do last.
so buy the vibe cause these old instruments, like old players sitting behind them, have alot to say.

and they say it well.

[This message was edited by Randy Reeves on 24 May 2006 at 05:52 AM.]