The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  For Carter Starter users....
Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2006 1:23 pm    

I'm wondering how many of you like them and would keep them to play out with. Do they seem to be built well? I want something that will last and is easy to play and take care of but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks in advance.

[This message was edited by Brandon Housewright on 02 June 2006 at 02:24 PM.]

Dave Baldwin

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2006 2:12 pm    

hi brandon i have one i got it new and love it stays in tune plays nice sound real good and looks to me like its well made it nice and lite a plus for me if you want any more info email me dave

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2006 9:26 pm    

If you don't already own a pedal steel, I'd suggest getting the Carter Starter just to see if you "have what it takes". Lots of people think they're going to play pedal steel and give up withing a year.

The Starter has most of the changes you'll want. Possibly all you'll ever need. If you stick with it, you'll eventually want to get a pro guitar but there's certainly nothing wrong with the Carter Starter.

Excellent guitar for the price.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 1:21 am    

Low price..STARTER, with many very common changes which is what makes this Steel the value that it is...with a 3+4 config.

but do keep in mind that it should NOT be compared to the Carter PRO line regarding changer ,undercarriage pickups etc...

As mentioned above, most folks purchase one, learn and play, perhaps for a few years, then the transistion to a PRO Guitar is pretty easy... unlike the Student Guitars that are configured with 3+1...where you now have to learn how to play with the other 3 very common Knee lever pulls...two of which are the raise and lower of the E's...which in todays Pedal Steel Music is for the most part MANDATORY....

t

------------------
------------------
TPrior
TPrior Steel Guitar Homesite

Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 5:01 am    

I've had 3 steels previously. The first one was a student model. The second was a new pro model that played wonderfully and stayed in tune but had more on it than I wanted to fool with. The last one had THE TONE and setup, but was a nightmare for me to keep maintained and feel the way I wanted it to. sometimes. It boils down to the fact I only want the basic changes on a guitar that is easy to play and maintain but still can be reliable in the future if I want to use it out on a weekend. The CS looked to fit the bill to me.

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 5:13 am    

I played an old sho-bud with 3&4 and I thimk the carter starter is the same with the 3&4 set up, my thinking as with alot others is I didn't want to pay alot and not like it well I do like it and now I have a carter d10, just be carfull if you buy used make sure you see the guitar first. good luck

Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 5:14 am    

I would definitely buy new.

[This message was edited by Brandon Housewright on 03 June 2006 at 06:23 AM.]

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 5:44 am    

Remeber the changes on this steel are welded in.
There is no making different copedent ideas a reality.
As someone who has owned other steels this might be an issue.

On the other hand for E9, it is set up
as close to any "standard" as there is.

ie' most any player can sit down at it
from most pro steels and make music
with most of their logic intact.

If you are used to workhorse pro steels and play hard, (I do)
then also it might be a bit tender to use.

But it's a very good steel, and a GREAT value for beginners.
And the Carter people are great too.

Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 5:50 am    

The more basic the better...unlike most people, I like to play without a lot of levers or changes. As long as I have ABC pedals and can lower 2 and 8 I'm good.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 6:32 am    

Brandon, I bought a Carter Starter and was pretty disappointed with it. I did not care for the guitar at all. I ended up selling it on ebay and buying a pro model GFI and was happy then. I got the starter through musician’s friend and it had a problem and no one seemed interested in helping me fix it. Actually, there was more than one problem, but to answer your question, no, I didn’t keep it and I would not have played it on job. I took it to a lesson and the teacher played it and tuned it up then referred to it as "crude". If you buy a new one, expect to leave some money on the table when you go to sell it. If you want more specific details, feel free to email me...James

Brandon Housewright

Statesboro, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 6:52 am    

Thanks for all the input...it'll be a while before I buy again. Just wanted to research a little.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 7:53 am    

My experience was similar to James.
Bought the guitar from Musicians Friend, it had alot of problems and by problems I mean problems that made the guitar unplayable, so i returned it to Musicians Friend. Maybe we are all buying the same defective guitar from Musicians friend over and over? I have no doubt the one I returned is repackaged and awaiting sale if it hasnt been resold already. If you do go for the starter try and buy one built within the last couple years (date is on the packing slip inside the box)as I have a strong suspicion the earlier ones had some design flaws that they've since improved upon. best of luck.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 10:28 am    

Maybe Musicians' Friend is the problem.
I'd buy used on the forum; that way the bugs are worked out.
But you have to jump on them quick here.
There's even one on eBay.

Mine was sturdy and well-built, had no problems with raises and lowers that couldn't be tuned, but the weakest spot are the knee levers. The occasional weekend gig, yeah, but hours over days and weeks....
But even that can be modified; several guys say including me that the levers are a little short. I found the pedals close together. But in retrospect, I should've kept it until I got all you can get out of this basic guitar, which has to be the best buy of used steels, and maybe even new ones.

J Hill

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 2:29 pm    

I started out on one and it was excellent, in fact the neck/strings are great. My teacher (a pro...) says its good enough to gig with. When he plays it, it sounds as good as his pro-model. Somebody must have gotten a lemon, that can happen with anything. The pro-models have smoother pedal and knee-lever action and are heavier. Again, the neck/strings are great, tight and steely. Yea, it stays in tune. Its a sweet little guitar.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 3:39 pm    

you could put a cigar box with string's on it in the hands of someone like Bobbie seymore or Bobby Bowman and they can make it sound beautiful ...with that said not all student models are created equal. having had a carter starter from my own experence it is not the best student model for a rank beginer to start with.
Zum makes (or did make ) a great student model and i am sure there are others

------------------
Mullen SD-10

Kenny Brown

Auburn, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 8:44 pm    

I have played a Carter Starter and it doesnt sound bad at all. I'm currently playing and gigging with an older GFI student model and it works great as well.

I believe with the student models serve their purpose for what they are--an inexpensive avenue to enter the world of pedal steel to find out if one wishes to continue on to a "pro" model steel.

One cannot compare the student steel guitar with a pro steel.

I also have a little Artisan lap steel, and later picked up a Remington Playboy lap steel. You just cant compare the two. It's like driving your grandpa's old clunker truck on the interstate as opposed to driving a brand new Caddy.

I believe the student playing the "student" model steel has everything to do with one's journey.

I know speaking for myself...I will be playing a "pro" model soon.

Nothing wrong with beginning on a guitar that is less expensive to be certain it is what you would like to do.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2006 6:06 am    

to me it seemed that on the student models (for lack of a better word) i was fighting the guitar and even more so on the carter
maybe i just had a bad one ..i don't know but i do know i almost gave up because of it . the student Zum was a much easier to play guitar it ( to me ) was simply the better guitar of the 3 that i had ( once had a sho bud mavrick )

------------------
Mullen SD-10

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2006 7:14 am    

quote:
Remeber the changes on this steel are welded in.
There is no making different copedent ideas a reality.

That's actually a good idea for beginners. I wish that my first pedal steel had been welded to a standard 3+4 copedent. I would have spent a lot more time playing and lot less time tinkering with experimental tunings and changes.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog