The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SIERRA tuning help...
Wes Hamshaw

Pacific City, Oregon * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 10:33 am    

As a new owner of a beautiful Sierra Session U 12, I think that I have done a bad thing regarding tuning the pedals and knees - I probably turned the Hex Cap to far at the end plate and a couple of the Nylon Barrels came out of their Bell Cranks.

When I replace the Nylon Barrels in their proper slots on the Bell Crank, it pulls the string out of tune as I bring it back to rest in its proper resting place. I hope this makes sense.

Any suggestions as to how to tune these pedals and levers without affecting the other settings would be much appreciated. I know it’s not the guitar that’s at fault,
it’s the the old dog trying to learn new tricks. Thanks much......Wes

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2006 11:28 am    

If I understand the problem correctly, you need to do the following...

For each pull that you need to adjust, loosen the pullrod until there is no tension on the bellcrank. Now get the open string in tune. Next, step on the pedal (or lever) and adjust the hex nut until that pull is in tune. Release the pedal or lever and make sure the open string is still in tune.

If I missed the problem, then just hold your mouth differently or slide up or down 2 frets. That should fix it. Or not.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Wes Hamshaw

Post  Posted 31 May 2006 8:05 am    

Thanks Gary for your prompt reply to my plea for help on the Sierra.

Your suggestions make sense and I’m next to sure they will work when the changer gets back into alignment. On a closer look at the changer itself, I noticed that one of
the “fingers” (#4 of l2) was out of alignment with the others. It is recessed in - the result seems to be that I am unable to get the Hex nut to do much of anything as it
is turned - either way.

I haven’t had occasion to change any strings as yet, but one possible way to get that “finger” on the changer back in proper position, is to replace the string and get
a good pull on it when it is wrapped around the screw on the keyless tuner.

As I am the second owner of a rather new guitar, I’m not sure the Sierra people would even talk to me regarding the problem - there was no money in it for them. Their
owners manual has a paragraph with a diagram about the changer but, to me, it might as well be written in another language.

Again, I appreciate your suggestions and, in time, I’m sure they will solve the problem.

My wife says that if I keep holding my mouth like that any longer, it will stay that way. I’ll try two frets down next.

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 4:58 am    

(As I am the second owner of a rather new guitar, I’m not sure the Sierra people would even talk to me regarding the problem - there was no money in it for them. Their owners manual has a paragraph with a diagram about the changer but, to me, it might as well be written in another language.)

Never fear, you will never find better people then TOM over at Sierra. He kinda shows you what "customer relations" is all about.

Wes Hamshaw

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2006 9:09 am    

Roy, You're so right! I thought "what the heck" and gave
him a call and he couldn't have been more understanding
and helpful. I'm so used to responses in the "real world"
that I jumped to a conclusion - that was all wrong.

Tom told me what to do, and if I needed more help, he
would walk me thru it.

Please close this post for now......Thanks, Wes