The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel guitar manufacurer in Norwalk, Ohio
David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 7:58 am    

I was talking to my brother-in-law yesterday and he recalls a steel guitar maker in Norwalk Ohio ,last name of Ebert, making guitars in the late sixties and early 70's. Does anybody know what brand they would have been?

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 8:21 am    

I don't think this will answer your question david, the only steel builder in ohio that I knew was bsg this is interestiong. CARTER D10

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 8:33 am    

I seem to recall a Norwood steel made from that area, don't know much about them though.

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 11:08 am    

Paul Norwood built steels in Norwalk, Oh in the 70's that I know of. I only met him a couple of times. He was all Hawaiian music all the time. Thought what Emmons and the rest of us did with the instrument was criminal.

His guitars were heavy, and as I remember, to tune them you had to remove a plate from betwen the necks. They didn't sound all that bad, but probably outweighed ZB's.

A felow in Akron named Jim Brown had one . . . he may still be around. Forumite Roger Mullinex knew Brown and may well know more about the Norwoods than I do.

Don LaCourse

Spring Hill, FL, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 11:27 am    

i know paul norwood, he is a friend, i met him him and Don ebert in the early 70s when i was living in Sandusky ohio, they were in norwalk, paul still lives there, he played for Lynn stevens for many years untill stevens had a stroke and had to quit playing. i bought a D10 NORWOOD STEEL FROM HIM, IT HAD A GOOD SOUND BUT VERY HEAVY, don.

David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 11:40 am    

Thanks guys, Don Ebert was the man he knew and I will ask whether he knew (knows) Paul Norwood. My brother-in-law hung out with Don Ebert's son i believe so he may know the other fellow as well.

Rick Troyer

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 5:49 pm    

Got one in the store .I had no idea what it was until Joe Kline stopped in one day and gave me a little history on the guitar . If I remember correctly he said it was the first pedal steel he ever owned . If you go to the web site and click on "tour the store" you'll see it in front of the Hummingbird Bear . You slide the fretboard out of the way to tune the pedals . Quite innovative . Rick
www.hummingbirdmusicstudio.com

[This message was edited by Rick Troyer on 08 May 2006 at 06:50 PM.]