The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need New Volume Pedal for Zum
Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 5:56 pm    

What can you guys recommend I use? I wanna have it hook to my pedal mount.

My Zum pedal Bruce made (which he doesn't make or service any more) is good but my volume pots last for only a short time before they crap out. I wanna know what else is out there.

Other advice?

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 6:05 pm    

Bobbie Seymour Has A Great Price On The Hilton Pedal No Pots To Go Bad. At steel guitar Nashville. I Have One. SONNY.

------------------

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 7:24 pm    

go with the Hilton . i just got mine and i love it...no more scratchy noise ever

------------------
Mullen SD-10

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 8:04 pm    

Solomon,

Ditto on the Hilton pedal!! Go for it and you'll never look back. You can even get an Emmons style mounting bracket (what I use with mine) that will attach to your pedal bar, if you have the Emmons mounting arrangement with the hole and two tabs.

Lyn

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 4:15 am    

My Goodrich isfairly new and it has a badpot already, i use it for practice but will hsvetochangeit soon it is driving my nuts, makes a bad sound next to the low end often. I use a Hilton potles on gigs and will not ever turn back, got mine from Bobbe.

ernie

Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 4:39 am    

I have not checked with Bobbe about the price, but it's my understanding that it's controlled by Keith Hilton, sorry if I'm wrong. I got mine from Fred Justice music, Fred does not charge for shipping, and is very fast, a good guy to deal with.

------------------
Howard

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 7:09 am    

Try before you buy. Different people prefer different pedals. I still prefer the pot pedals (Goodrich).

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 7:31 am    

I just got the Goodrich LDR2, "no pot" pedal and it feels just like my 120 "pot" pedal, but now I understand what everone says about tone change with a "pot" pedal.
JE:-)>

Todd Bowman

Crystal Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 9:22 am    

I agree with try before you buy, but I also love my Hilton -- no pots to wear out, no tonal alteration, and you can adjust the tension to get the feel you want!

------------------
Rains D-10, Sho-Bud Pro II, Beard E 6 string, Mike Auldridge (Beard) 8 string, 1937 Rickenbacher B6, Flatiron F-5 Artist, Taylor 810, Deering Golden Era

Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 9:37 am    

Fellows I've used both the Hilton and Goodrich pedals. The reason I bought a Hilton was precisely the volumn pot problem with the Goodrich. The originl volumn pot on my Goodrich lasted about two years before getting that "scratchy" sound. I changed it out and within a few days had the "scratchy" sound again. Well I ordered a new pot with the same results. I hooked up the Hilton and played it for a long time. It served me well but had to do some tweaking on my amp to get satisfaction with the sound. Later I decided to play the Goodrich and found that the sound was much better for my ear. I put in a new pot and there was that "scratch sound". I noticed that the string that wraps around the volumn adjustment shaft sleeve was slightly off center and was not pulling straight up. I adjusted that and solved the problem with the scratchy sound. Haven't had a problem since. Still playing the Goodrich with good results.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 10:23 am    

I'm a Hilton fan, but just saw Richard Sinkler play through a Goodrich LDR, and it also was quit nice, and he seemed pleased. I do keep a Goodrich pot VP for quick setups, where AC may be a problem.

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 12:08 pm    

If there were a survey on electronic volume pedals, I suspect the majority will be Hilton.

I have several Goodrich products and they work well. But, for an electronic volume pedal, I like the Hilton "infrared" design over the others. (I have a Hilton pedal).

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 3:43 pm    

Solomon -- I use the Goodrich LDR pedal (I have 2 of them) with my Zum and it is about as good as it gets...no pots required and no dodgie tonal colouration. I use the Pedalbar attachment bracket that Goodrich make as well.
This pedal delivers outstanding tone and performance with no other issues to have to worry about such as pots wearing out.
Good luck

Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 5:09 pm    

Hiltons cost the same everywhere. 269

Nate Hofer

Overland Park, Kansas
Post  Posted 7 May 2006 8:10 pm    

Thanks, guys!

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 12:40 am    

i too use a Hilton ME262 VP & a Goodrich bracket on my Zum

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2006 8:36 am    

I have a Hilton and a Goodrich LDR, and can get "my" tone with either one. When I gig, the Hilton goes with me simply because the power supply pin on the Goodrich will work loose from the sleeve where it plugs into the pedal and leave me hanging with no sound. I've tried seperating the two prongs on the pin, but it still works loose. If I had to keep just one, it would be the Hilton.