The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone of psg "out infront" cut treble??
Parr Bryan

Nacogdoches,Texas
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 10:42 am    

Several months ago I bought a 25 ft patch cord to have that distance from my amp to see/hear what the tone sounded like from 25ft. Right away the treble was killing my ears. This was done from bedroom to bedroom one time with amp in view pointed at me,next with amp out of view and pointed away from me. Treble was way too much. I cut treble down. Then had a good tone.I talked to the guys in the band about it and they like the less treble tone better.
However, when I have the amp within a few feet of me it now sounds like low pitched mud unless I add treble so I can hear the different pitches from the low pitched strings on C6.
Any of you guys noticed this?? I think what the audience was hearing was also too much treble even though I mike the amp.
I use an old Nash 400 without the mod.
Steel. '78 Laquer MSA

------------------

[This message was edited by Parr Bryan on 05 May 2006 at 11:44 AM.]

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 11:23 am    

Parr, high frequencies in general are far more directional than lows, in addition to it being louder in general, anyone directly in front of your amp will hear more treble than someone above or to the side of it.

You might try tipping your amp back so that you can hear more of the highs without changing the sound in the house.