The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  not tying to stir up trouble.
Marvin Stegall

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 3:35 pm    

Bill, that is not my intent to do so. i am sorry that there are those who are taking it the wrong way. I am only stating that people go out and buy , guitars of all kind's. I have an EMMONS Legrande3>an PUSH PULL>EMMONS> AN SHO BUD> AN A ZUM>AS WELL. But it is like puppy see puppy do. I consender the folks at CARTER> THE NICEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER TALKED TOO. BUD> IS VERY NICE, ALSO BRUCE> AND ALLTHE FOLKS AT EMMONS.MY POINT IS IF YOU DRIVE AN CHEVY, AND YOU ARE ON TV. SOME FOLKS WILL GO RIGHT OUT AND WANT TO BUY THEM ONE.

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 4:32 pm    

MARVIN

SEEMS TO ME YOUR TRYING TO CAUSE TROUBLE,
THINK THIS SHOULD BE CLOSED AT ONCE!!!!
farris

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2006 6:00 pm    

Well Marvin,

Pedal STeel Guitars are not the only thing seen on tv that people go right out and buy. In fact, it may be the least bought item.

How about sexy perfume because a good looking woman was wearing it on tv, or clothes or sports cars and countless other items.

No matter whether a star buys a product or not, it is WISE marketing to get your product into the hands of a star, any way you can.

I can even remember when the Emmons Company put steel guitars in stars hands so they would be seen.

And whether a star buys, gets a discount or is given a guitar is of no ones business except that of the manufacturer and the player

Bill

Bill Mayville

Las Vegas Nevada * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 2:11 am    

Hello again Marvin.
I have not met Ron JR.I was in the process of ordering a P/P last week.My Emmons (newD-10 Lagrande3 Lacquer) was ordered Peacock Blue.It came in ,Green as seasick.Said his wife did it, four times.I consider Emmons having the most solid guitar out there.But I refer Mullen to all students,even though
I let them play the Emmons.The sound is great,but I have to tune it EVERY day. I don;t think it is anywhere as good as the one I let go.My 84 lagrande was so much nicer than the 3.I had a fellow over the other day. He asked if Emmons was going to stay in business.Said I didn't know.Mullen is all family.Stays in tune.And, you don't have to wait two years for A guitar.
When my Mullen was being built,I never considered being nervous,paying up front.I paid up front on the 3 and was a little shakey the whole time.
I hope they stay in business.
I guess you have more respect for Emmons guitar co. for some reason.
Have a question.
When your New Emmons was delivered, were your strings all rusty?How about the End plates.Shiny?Stay in tune?
It doesn't take a minute to figure out why Zum is so popular.
Keep on with the post's,They are very interesting.
Bill

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 6:23 am    

Quote:
I let them play the Emmons.The sound is great,but I have to tune it EVERY day.

Yeah, thats because it has a footlong headstock to deal with. Dragging those strings back and forth across the nut while using the pedals and levers, then expecting them to stay in tune is unrealistic.

Quote:
The worlds leading designer of custom pedal steel guitars.

That is no longer true. Just because it has Buddy's name on it, newbies will be persuaded to buy them.

Now, the old push-pulls were a different point altogether.

quote:
When my Mullen was being built,I never considered being nervous,paying up front.I paid up front on the 3 and was a little shakey the whole time.

What sort of events made you feel nervous?

Did you feel as though you would not recieve the guitar? Did you get a run around? How about the communication?

These are all important details that will help future buyers.

If it was a pleasant experience, then players want to know as well.

[This message was edited by Curt Langston on 02 May 2006 at 07:35 AM.]

Bill Mayville

Post  Posted 2 May 2006 8:44 am    

Hi Curt
The events of buying were worse than described.Communication at first was very seldom.Delivery from 3-4 months, turned into 8 months while reading they are taking orders for guitars and not delivering.True or untrue,that is a little scary.I finally said you might as well change my order to Lacquer. Now I owed them for the extra.I thought that might speed things up,but it didn't.
I finally got so fed up, I had my wife call every week and talk to Ron.He seems like a nice guy alright.Just has a different story EVERY week.It's coming I have to waitfor.
Meanwhile I think all of us know what was going on,hoping Emmons would be charging ahead.Meanwhile I purchased a new Mullen
to have something to play.I sold my 84 Emmons D-10like a fool,not one scratch on it.
It was not a pleasant experience,even as it a pleasure talking to the wife of Ron Jr.
When the guys here in Las Vegas came over to see the guitar, the first thing as they were playing it was, How come the rusty strings? Why aren't the End plates as shiny as Garys Emmons on the other side of the room. I thought you ordered Peacock blue.?
It is still probably the best in the west,
but I was nervous all the way.Once you tune it ,it stays like an Emmons.The pedals never go out.Just the way it is built.
And yes.I am considering buying a P/Pull.
That one would be just for recording ,because of the sound.That's if he;ll sell me one.
Bill

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 9:10 am    

double post

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 02 May 2006 at 02:35 PM.]

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 9:23 am    

I tried to communicate with Emmons company few times to get some parts but never made it so I give up.I wanted a new push pull but without dealing with Emmons so I ordered Promat (2) and never looked back.
Db

------------------

"Promat"
~when tone matters~ www.promatsteelguitars.com

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 May 2006 12:06 pm    

this subject sure can allow for some speculation though...

I think, when I read the first post..( not this one, the first thread) that the intent was to place a TOP DAWG popularity on a brand because one of the top guys, if not THE TOP guy was now playing one, so perhaps everyone and there cousins and great Uncles would want one too...

The post had nothing to do with the Musical ability of the player but rather, "He's got one now..so maybe I should too"...

SO think about it.."I'm gonna turn my brand X around and get a brand Y cuz' you know who now has one"

Me I'm a calculating sort of person..I look at the math first then work in the details to follow.

Brand Y , according to the scriptures takes about 8 months to get...

Lets multiply this by a few powers of ten...

SO how long does it take for several to obtain a new brand Y ?

IS the answer 8 months plus a few tacked on for good luck ?

What happens if after that 8 months or so, you go to a Steel show ( perhaps St Louis) and "Hey..what the heck..He's playin' that dang III with the Rose on it "...or worse..
That dang Wood grained ( Mica of course) thing from the 60's) thats got the same name as that thing on the bottom of your Ice Skate.

and you already got rid of your Brand X...

just speculatin' like many others here...

I can tell ya this though, If I could buy one of those Yellow Pages Phone books and it comes with that nice young gal on the TV commercial..count me in..I'm ordering today !

t

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 3 May 2006 9:02 am    

Quote:
Me I'm a calculating sort of person..I look at the math first then work in the details to follow

Me too --

Cost of new steel -- $3000.00
Amount in my bank account -- $42.58
Number of new steels that I can afford to buy -- 0

Marvin Stegall

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2006 7:19 pm    

well i sure have got an ear full. it is good to know,that others are having the same problems that i have had. You can not get no one on the phone to talk too. i had a friend that ordered a lq. guitar from emmons

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 4 May 2006 8:05 pm    

Marvin, who's side are you on anyway?? When you first signed on.You trashed Buddy for playing a Zum.You get called down.Since then. All you do is trash Emmons or the Lashly Co I think it's called/

Marvin,Curt, and Bill. You guys are a trip.

Marvin seems hell bent to trash something or someone.

Curt is hell bent that the world play key-less guitars.

Bill after all you went thru.The last guitar is not the color you ordered. The endplates are half polished. You wrote:

quote:
And yes.I am considering buying a P/Pull.
That one would be just for recording ,because of the sound.That's if he;ll sell me one.
Bill

First of all.The recent PP's that were built.Came from bodies and some parts that Ron SR. rejected 30 years ago.

What makes you think you'll be happy??
And Bill. In your first post you said you let your students play the Mullen because the Emmons had to be tuned every day. (WOW)
In your last post you wrote:
Quote:
Once you tune it ,it stays like an Emmons.The pedals never go out.Just the way it is built

So just curious? Does your Emmons stay in tune or not?

LARRY COLE

LANCASTER, OHIO, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 3:47 am    

I will never understand people that are always buying different steels/amps/rack systems/ect... because thats what so and so has or what a lot of guys like. It is always the one they have always been serching for until someone else gets one and then it is no good anymore. Then its off to something else. I guess I am lucky, I buy what I like and am happy with it.

------------------
Playing For JESUS,LC. WILLIAMS U12,SHO-BUD PRO1,CARVIN TL60,GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM,YAMAHA L-10A ACOUSTIC,ROLAND JW-50 KEYBOARD,G&L AND BC RICH BASS'S

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 3:48 am    

I have an Emmons LeGrande III that I have no problem with. It stays in tune and has a good tone to my ears. I have in the past called Emmons Guitar Company and talked with Ron personally. In fact, he sent me a fax like he said he would. I do not understand why they would be having the problems we are hearing about. I have heard other steel guitar companies are hard to reach as well.

Bill Mayville

Post  Posted 5 May 2006 3:56 am    

Once you tune it,it stays in tune .
What I am refering to is,every string slips,at the same time.The first month was the worst.It is not very bad now.My other Emmons had Schallers or something like that .I don't really know if they were good ones or not.I never tightened the screws on that one.I did on this one for the first month.
I did not know the bodys on the P/P were rejects.I was told they had a few blemishes.
Maybe the Jackson guitars will be the next hit.I am planning on opening a steel guitar store in Amarillo.I would like to sell one product that comes and goes ,with out too long of a wait.
Bill D-10 crazy

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 4:46 am    

Marvin, you're coming across so convoluted, you've got me agreeing with Bobby Boggs! If you don't like Emmons guitars, stay away from 'em! My push-pull was the BEST sounding steel I'll ever own. And, for what it's worth, anytime I pick up one of my 20-something 6-strings, I check the tuning before I play ANYTHING! That's called discipline, and caring enough about what you're trying to do, to try and do it right.
So go tune your guitar---I GUARANTEE it's out---and then practice a little, huh?

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 5:57 am    

Marvin

It seems like you are mad at someone!!!!!
Trying to take it out here on the forum make you feel better i guess???????

I understand that you HAVEN'T even been to the EMMONS FACTORY IN A LONG TIME.

Mabe going by what someone has told you huh.

Remember IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT SOMEONE,THEN JUST DON'T SAY NOTHING!!!
NO NEED TO KNOCK A PERSON!!!!!!!!

farris

Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 6:56 am    

Does anyone play a Fessenden because I do? Joe
www.willowcreekband.com

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 5 May 2006 7:29 am    

Sorry Farris.Marvin says:
Quote:
i go there real often,

Must be true.Like his post about Randy Beavers recording 100 proof steel.