The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody using a metal thumb pick?
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 9:41 am    

I did a search but no past threads on this, it seems. I've been using one for a while now and really like the sound of all three picks being metal. It gives the low notes way more definition. The thumb pick is a Dunlop. (I use a National on my second finger, and a JF on my first finger.)

Anybody?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 9:51 am    

Tried 'em, don't like 'em. They tend to get "scratchy", and make noise. They also don't stay on as well as a plastic pick...not enough "spring". As far as the sound goes, a thin plastic thumbpick with a decent point makes a nice bright sound.

If you like 'em, that's fine! However, you won't have much luck getting others to change. Probably over 99% of the players I've seen use and prefer the plastic ones.

Pat Kelly

Wentworthville, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 11:21 am    

None of the books I've seen recommend them but I use one. Kept breaking the plastic ones across the top where I filed them down to make them more flexible. One day found myself with only the steel one left and used it ever since. Then again maybe I gotta get out more!

Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 11:30 am    

i use one. i can't use a plastic one because in order to get it to stay on my finger, i have to use one so tight that it cuts the circulation off. i also like the stiffness of the metal thumbpick, i don't like the springiness of the plastic, sort of like the same reason why i like to use a really stiff pick with guitar. hope this helps, peace

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 11:41 am    

Quote:
i can't use a plastic one because in order to get it to stay on my finger, i have to use one so tight that it cuts the circulation off

Darn thumb picks point the wrong way when I put 'em on my fingers.

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 12:11 pm    

i'm with Donny on this one , i tried one as he said it was to scratchy

------------------
Mullen SD-10

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 1:13 pm    

I found the same thing as Chris E. with the plastic thumb picks....they either cut off my circulation or fell off too easily. The metal thumb pick can be manipulated like the metal finger picks, so it's nice and snug. It never falls off. I find it's only scratchy if you are searching for a bass note by feeling with your thumb.........if you hit the string dead on, the note is strong and clear.

[This message was edited by Chris LeDrew on 23 April 2006 at 02:15 PM.]

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 1:43 pm    

I don't use a metal thumb pick chris I really don't like the tone they give thats not to say it would't work, I prefer a large national thumb pick but on my own I found some time ago if I would take a medium national thumb pick and wrap it around another medium national thumb pick and let it sit for a couple of days, thus opening the pick a little more, this seems to work for me.

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 4:30 pm    

I use a metal thumb pick. I starterd out using plastic ones, but for whatever reason the metal one suits me best....which reminds me I only have the one which I stepped on at a gig last night....time to buy some more. I don't find that it makes extra niose, I like the feel of it and the sharper and more direct sound I get with it.
Damien

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 5:16 pm    

That makes three of us.......any more?

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 5:52 pm    

Before I played steel, I played folk and blues guitar and Dobro with a metal thumb pick and three metal finger picks. When I started playing steel, I just kept using those same picks. Never found any reason to switch.

Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 6:02 pm    

I always used Dunlop metal thumbpicks on my dobro, but I started using them on pedal steel a little over a year ago. They seem to stay on my thumb better without having to fit so tightly, and I like the tone.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 6:29 pm    

That's six and counting........

(I said three in the last post, but it was actually four.)

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 7:05 pm    

My friend Dave Easley (Check out his playing with the band 3NOW4 in the forum cd's and tapes section) has been using metal thumbpicks for probably 20+ years. As stated earlier in this thread, he likes having the thumbpick sound like the fingerpicks for a more uniform sound.

[This message was edited by Bob Watson on 23 April 2006 at 08:07 PM.]

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 11:02 pm    

I started using a metal thumb pick just to see what would happen about three months ago.Wish I would have tryed it about fifteen years ago,I have maybe a dozen different thumbpicks in my stool I've tryed over the years,this is the one I've been searching for all these years.I wrapped a small stripe of duct tape around the area that touches the thumb,more comfortable and will not slip off.I play mostly C6th and get a lot clearer tone out of my bass strings than I ever did with a plastic pick.

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2006 11:06 pm    

P.S. I also started using a third finger pick,a little awkward at first,but now can't do without it.

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 6:10 am    

Hey Chris:

Count me in, too. I've used a metal thumbpick for years now, much to the surprise of many of my fellow pickers. Started that way on 5-string banjo - I liked the comfort and fit, also couldn't stand the wear and tear on plastic picks after playing hard. The tone on banjo is unique, too, more crisp and snappy. I guess I just got used to that feel and sound when I started playing steel.

Ironically, I use a soft plastic thumbpick for playing Atkins-style guitar, which I've been doing lately, and because I don't have to pick very hard to get good tone. Go figure...

ZBest,
LC

Pat Kelly

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 7:59 am    

Well, well, well. This is turning into a real eye opener. Sounds like its safe outside of the closet.

Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 8:24 am    

I've been using a metal thumbpick for over 30 years. I've tried plastic and don't like them. I prefer the tone a metal pick gives. The only bad part about it is trying to find where to buy the ones you want. Over the years, the oil and sweat in my thumb has caused the inside of the pick to rust out. I'm always looking for another metal thumbpick. It's hard to find the right one with just the right fit. I remember going to the Dallas convention a few years back, and trying to find a metal thumbpick from the vendors there. They all thought I was nuts! I even paid Scotty $3.00, and he said he would ship me a few. He later emailed and said he could not get them. Anyone have a source with a variety of metal thumbpicks to choose from?

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 8:46 am    

After decades of using standard blue Hercos,I've been using metal thumbpicks for a little over a year now and don't plan to go back. Plastic ones are always comfortable but too loose to be accurate or snug enough to be accurate but too tight to be comfortable.Then if you get a happy medium,it only lasts a while before they get "sprung". I tried a few different metal ones but the Propik steel thumbpicks do it for me. Propik also makes a sort of hybrid one where the blade is nylon but on those,the metal part doesn't hold it's shape as well as the all metal ones. I don't percieve any scratchyness - only accuracy and comfort. Unlike plastic ones,they don't move around on my thumb at all - they are completely immobile yet with no circulation issues and they never wear out.I can use backstrokes and even surf guitar/mandolin-style up/down tremolo picking with total impunity. All metal Propiks...try one - you'll get used to it right quick.
-MJ-

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 9:02 am    

My first transition from a standard guitar to a Hawaiian guitar was with a kit that included a steel nut, a flat bar, two metal finger picks, and a metal thumb pick. That was in the middle 1940's. I used that metal thumb pick until I quit playing in 1970, which was about 25 years.

When I began playing again in 1984, I started using a plastic thumb pick because I thought it sounded better on the E9 neck. I also found that it was kinder to my thumb than the metal pick.
www.genejones.com

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 9:42 am    

My preference:
Dobro - all metal picks (3);
PSG - all plastic picks (4).

------------------
Dave Wren
'96 Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Twin Session 500s; Hilton Pedal; Black Box
www.ameechapman.com

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 12:53 pm    

Gary, you can order metal thumb picks on line or from the catalog at Elderly Instruments. The one I use is Dunlop. The sides are folded over so it is not scratchy: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/PK4.htm

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 1:48 pm    

Thast's 11 and counting..........not bad. I use the Dunlops, like David D. They're great. Can't use their fingerpicks, but the thumb pick is excellent.

Colby Tipton

Crosby, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2006 5:25 pm    

Blue Herco