The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Canare/Mogami cables vs Georgle L's ...
Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2019 2:56 pm    

I've been using George L's for a very long time and love them for pedal steel. Have any of you guys ever done a tone test comparison between them and Canare or Mogami cables with Neutrik plugs? Any and all opinions appreciated...thanks!

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 9:32 am    

Guitar Player magazine has done a few cable "shootouts" over the years.
You might try searching their web site, or a Google search, and see what turns up.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2019 10:08 am    

I have never tried George Ls, but have soldered up dozens of multi-colored Canare cables with Switchcraft, Neutrik, and Rean 1/4" plugs. They sound great to me (but admittedly, my old ears are not what they once were). Whatever the shortcomings in my sound may be, it's not the fault of the cables, that's for certain.

At 46 cents a foot, there's lotsa bang for the buck with Canare LV-61S RG59 cable. Add four Rean mono phone plugs for $1.33 a pop, and you can make a 12' and a 3' pedal steel set for just a tad over twelve bucks.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:18 am    

Thanks AJM and Jack...

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:59 am    

I did a cable testing shoot out with a couple steel players and the home made canare/neutrik won. They are pretty easy to make.

To big for pedalboards though.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 7:28 am    

George L's runs about 25pf per foot as we measured on Blake Hawkins' capacitance meter (we measured several George L's cables and they were all the same). I wonder what the capacitance of the other cables are. George L's also has an anti-static coating (internal).

Which is better?? Everyone hears different. One may want to hear more lows, another wants more highs, etc.

The only Guitar Player cable comparison I saw was a long time ago and George L's won that time. If there have been later comparisons I missed that.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 7:58 am     canare/Miami cables vs. George L

When I got my Evans amp, the highs were off the map with George L cables. I made up some cables using Pro-Co 90% shielded cable with Switchcraft plugs. I love them, not only in my Evans, but Stereo Steel and Katana also. After decades of George L's, I can't see myself going back.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 8:14 am    

One more thing to consider.

A lot of this tone comparison stuff depends on other things in your rig.
Pedals, placement, loading, cable lengths, etc etc etc.

Cables are a relatively cheap thing to experiment and play around with.
But if you're expecting to hear a "magic fairy dust" difference, you may not find it.

Ian Sutton

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 9:07 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I did a cable testing shoot out with a couple steel players and the home made canare/neutrik won. They are pretty easy to make.

To big for pedalboards though.

Same setup for me, Bob. For my pedalboards I use the Switchcraft pancake jacks, though some claim those are a little hard to solder, I don't have a problem.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 8:31 pm    

I like Canare GS-6. The jacket is made from polypropylene and not rubber. If you gear if left in a trailer and you gig where it is really cold the Canare cable doesn't get stuff like standard wire.
Fender Telecaster Guitars

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 8:24 pm    

Cables are tone tweaker additions to any connection.

In addition to George L cable, Pro Co 2B mic/line cables, I have the Canare L-4E6S which is a 4 conductor.

I use all conductors like this:

I get a sound stage improvement from the extra wires supporting each connection. Voodoo to some but having something to do with Newton's 3rd Law, there is some "eddy current" magnetic action going on when multiple conductors are carrying the same signal in parallel.

I would venture to say that there is no single cable that is an absolute. It will depend on what you're connecting and what you want to hear. You can combine George L with Canare or any other cable, whether, inexpensive types or custom made with heavy shielding and esoteric braiding.

The hits we heard back in the day, was a mixture of different cables used during recording and there is no "best" cable only a cable that provides a certain sound depending on what it's connected to in line with any devices.

Although this guy thought his coiled cable gave him mojo.
What kind of eddy currents are going on there in that coiled cable?

And somehow these guys do too!

Hence we are free to mix and match at will as nothing is in stone and YMMV is king!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 10:15 am    

Back in the early 80's there was very little if any scientific approach to cables and their performance and the sound by the steel players back then was excellent.

I guess thats why I have paid no attention to the Golden cables of this era analyzed and built by descendants of Einstein. I'm pretty satisfied with my sound so until this degrades Ill stick with my medium priced cables from musicians friend.

IMO there is not a cable out there that degrades the lows or highs so much that it cant be compensated with your EQ. If it cant be compensated then throw the cable away.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 11:15 am    

well for what it's worth,I bought two Mogami Silver 12 footers many many years ago. Unlike all the other cables I have bought and used over the years, these two are still holding up and going strong. And they ain't just sittin around, 4 to 5 gigs a month since I bought them, easily 7 or 8 years now. Guitar and Steel. Not cheap either !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 2:01 pm    

These are some interesting observations. I haven’t played around with cable swapping much myself.

Question though for those who use active volume pedals or “lil Izzy” type buffers. I have niethrer, but do you hear a difference in calbles when using these devices?

If the cables are driven by a low impedance (rather than a raw wound pickup), isn’t line capacitance (in the handfulls of pf per foot) compared to the low-Z drive trivial? Seems as though it would be knocking the fc out into the Mhz, or at least well above audio frequencies.

Has anyone tested cables and found a difference when driven low-Z? Just curious if there is anything else going on besides 1/RC.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 4:19 pm    

I think that ordinary cables are fine. I got some George L's years ago, but stopped using them because I wanted a fuller/rounder sound. (The George L's are all about highs, and I've never had a problem with not enough highs.)

As far as connectors, the regular Switchcraft style are fine for me. The Neutrics are okay, but pricey. I don't sweat about it because connectors do not affect or improve the sound.