The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Console Grande-sters Unite!!!
Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2021 4:06 pm    

Nice steels gents. I have some vintage Fenders that I like and I've got a few nice lap steels, in addition to my 54 GCG, and to me the Gibson Console Grande is just the most heavenly musical ironing board there is, just a joy to play. Heavy though!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 7:36 am    

Brad,
Do you like these vintage Fenders?

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 9:33 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Brad,
Do you like these vintage Fenders?

Erv,

I love em! Especially the long scales. Very Happy

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 9:51 am    

They're hard to beat! Very Happy
Erv

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 11:05 am    

Hey Erv,
Quit showing off your Chevys, this is a Ford thread! Razz

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 12:45 pm    

Bill,
I'm going to start posting Dodges next! Laughing Laughing
Erv

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 2:55 am     ‘38 Natural

David Rattray wrote:
Hello Al no blue was not the original colour either sunburst or blonde...( yours is a Console Grande )...that old steel carefully cleaned up will amaze you when you have it done do not despair about it remember time is all you need no hurry is wanted ...I have had three different ones over the years a 1950 Sunburst that I sold then a 1938 Blonde cleaned up ( with new steel legs installed )..and sold to a fellow not far from me who had one years ago and talked me out of it my present one is a 1948 ...Sunburst it really is pretty much like new only with new steel legs the old tomato stake leg ones are here somewhere..over six hundred beaners for the legs sockets and money exchange and shipping ...feel blessed and nothing else that you have that old girl to slowly bring back to it former glory...these are my favourite steels over anything else out there...Don Helms to me any way was the best steel player that ever played period...best with your adventure...David...

David, I bought that blonde ‘38 with the CC pickups. I bought it from a guy in Toronto in October 2019, but his story of the guitar’s history was a little different than yours. I can see in the picture that terrible refinish attempt had already been done by the time you got it. I couldn’t stand looking at the cross-grain 80-grit sanding scars anymore, so I decided to strip it and refinish it properly. It used to be a sunburst originally I discovered, but I’m keeping it natural to go with my ‘54 sunburst. And you are right, those Charlie Christian pickups are stunning. Beautiful. I want to send them to get remagnetized while I work on the body, but I haven’t decided where to send them.

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 3:44 am    

Hello Danny this 38 was a mess when I bought it I spent a lot of time bringing it back to somewhat decent...removed all parts and under where they were was an old dirty blonde finish..?...the pickups were strong so never gave them any thought ...this old girl came back to looking not to bad...the binding was carefully removed and reglued where needed..what are the chances that perhaps there were two old 38"s there were only a handful in blonde produced ...do you have this guitar now..?...I sold it not long ago to a fellow in Braside west of Arnprior who was battling cancer ...around a year and 1/2 ago...he would be in his seventies ..( wife tells me ? ) then..strange it showed no traces of sunburst anywhere this is puzzling ....I bought this from a fellow in Toronto about two years ago...tell me more...Smile-...( send me pictures of the control knobs I replaced them )...the ones on it were toast ...and I installed new legs and sockets on it...you have my interest...the finish on this old steel looked and seemed very very original ...as I went and carefully removed decades of grime build up...and worst again no signs of a refinishing that was ever done on it and no signs of a sunburst to be found...weird as she goes...bought this on April 3 2019 from a Jerry Fletcher...pics to follow...

Last edited by David Rattray on 12 Mar 2021 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 5:09 am     Old Steel

As I bought it...

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 5:19 am     New legs and Control knobs

Not the best pics but all I have....

....as far as I know this was never refinished by any one except by me...the man I sold it to cannot be reached or talked to as he had throat cancer and most of his cords removed if not all ...he saw my add on kijij and we corresponded by email then he came and bought it wrote down on a piece of paper telling me that he as it was the only way he could converse with me ...when he quickly tuned it by ear perfectly in a few seconds he was a pro ... ...a cool dude this fellow was and hope still is...

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 6:17 am     ‘38 Cg

David, that is DEFINITELY the same guitar. I already stripped the hardware and some finish on one side. It’s very easy to see, especially in the binding breaks. Well that’s cool! Smile. You can see the leftover sunburst finish in the bottom right corner of the front face, as well as inside the pickup cavities. It was absolutely a sunburst originally. Whoever originally refinished it didn’t even bother removing all the old finish or sanding scratches. It appears that the binding would have been removed then as well, but unfortunately the glue not properly cleaned up after. A finish was applied on top of that leftover glue, leaving the lighter colour all around the fretboards. I hope elbow grease come on sale so I can stock up. Lol. It’s going to be a great Spring & Summer project. I’m really glad I checked this thread out. Thanks for all your information. The internet is good for some things. Lol

As far as the old fella, I believe he passed. I was told “...it’s from the original owner’s estate, who bought it new in 1938. He was quite the accomplished player and had a decent collection of lap steels. He passed away, so his brother was handling the instrument part. I bought it from the estate auction.” The seller knew nothing of steels, bought the collection as a flip for profit, and sold the CG to me. Is it possible the old man had one years ago just like he told you, he bought yours, passed away shortly after and the family found it with his other steels? They would a assume it was originally his, like the others. I bought 3 of his other National lap steels. They were in amazing condition, so I believe my seller’s story about a “collection sale”. Anyhow, this is what I can piece together. The only thing that is different from your pictures is the white strap for the case. I would have to check, but I believe a brown leather strap is on.

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 7:13 am     Fog Lifted..

Cool Danny...still have the new legs and control knobs with it ..?..and I am saddened to hear he passed ...yes he did have a whack of lap steels...I thought he was in his sixties not sure as he was stricken pretty bad with cancer he may have been older it was hard to converse with him with his illness ...but yes he could play really well... I bought it and it needed cleaning up ...best with the project ...not sure about any other CG"s perhaps in his early years he may well have had one as I said he was very sick even when he was here ..?..the way he took and handled that guitar and made it sing he certainly was no stranger to one ...old Haiwiain tunes...bring it back...to its former glory ...Danny noticing the time lines he passed shortly after he got from me ..I bought it on April 3 ..2019 from Jerry Fletcher in Toronto he may chime in here as well...dont know ..if he sees this...this is life as it unfolds cool...I may be selling off my 48 soon one steel my Carter is way more than I need...

Danny Roy

Calgary Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 8:05 am    

David, could you email me about your ‘48? Yes, I have the legs and knobs you put on it. They will be put back on once I’m done.

Brian Fox

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2022 5:55 pm    

I am happy to say I am a new proud owner of a Gibson Grande Console (unsure the exact year). I have to figure out how to play it now....
My lower neck is an A6 and my upper neck is the E 13th except my low string is a B I believe..What would that make the neck for tuning?
I am wondering what year this guitar is and are there resources for E13th tuning? Also inquiring about what kind of bar I should be using for this guitar and strings. As well as care for the guitar and wood. Its a beatiful finish and great tone. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.
My first dive into a steel guitar without pedals...

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2022 9:28 am    

Brian Fox wrote:
I am happy to say I am a new proud owner of a Gibson Grande Console (unsure the exact year). I have to figure out how to play it now....
My lower neck is an A6 and my upper neck is the E 13th except my low string is a B I believe..What would that make the neck for tuning?
I am wondering what year this guitar is and are there resources for E13th tuning? Also inquiring about what kind of bar I should be using for this guitar and strings. As well as care for the guitar and wood. Its a beatiful finish and great tone. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.
My first dive into a steel guitar without pedals...

Congrats on the beautiful guitar. I can't quite tell from your photo, but it seems maybe you have the oval/racetrack pickups? Generally this would make it an earlier post-war Console Grande, maybe 1946-1951 or 52? But you also have 4 legs. Early models came with 3 legs. Later models (after 53 maybe?) came with 4 legs, but those legs look like modern replacements. So either you have an older guitar with upgraded legs, or maybe a later guitar that somebody put some original style pickups on, because by 53-54 they went to a square P90-style pickup. More pics would help identifying the approximate age or era of the guitar, but this variety are all late 40s or early 50s nonetheless.

Brian Fox

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2022 5:35 pm    

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2022 5:48 pm    

Brian Fox wrote:

Yeah I think what you have is a very clean post-war version 3 Console Grande. I double-checked with Duchossoir, should be circa 1948-1951. This is the model of guitar Don Helms was known for. They generally had no markings or serial numbers as far as I am aware, so it's difficult or impossible to give a more exact date, except when there is original provenance (sales receipt, etc). However I think this should be a 3 legged guitar, so yours may have had the legs upgraded. Not sure if you've peeked under the control plate or know what to look for, sometimes these have had the electronics repaired or replaced. The knobs look faintly non-original to me, but I'd have to see them a lot closer. It's very good condition, so I'm not sure if or why it would have needed electronic work, but you never know.

Great looking guitar though! Really reminds me of my 54 in most respects. Because of the similar dark "Cremona Brown" finish I'm going to guess it was later in the run, maybe 51. Earlier guitars might have been a lot more red. The 4 leg configuration might even have been a transitional feature to the p90 models by that point. Anyway I bet she sounds and plays beautifully.

Brian Fox

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 1:46 pm    

Thanks for the reply. As for strings sets, is there any you would recommend for the E13th and A6 neck?

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 5:34 pm    

Brian Fox wrote:
Thanks for the reply. As for strings sets, is there any you would recommend for the E13th and A6 neck?

A lot of people perhaps make up their own string sets, but to get started, if you look at the very top of this forum page there is a nice big link that says "STRINGS". Go to the forum store, then look for the "non-pedal" link on the left and you'll find several sets, including A6 and E13. I recommend the "Scotty's" sets, and be sure to get the 8-string versions. And it helps support the forum.

Brian Fox

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 4:31 pm    

Happy to say I put this on stage and played some ol' Hank along with some original tunes last weekend. Was fun playing standing up! We had alot of people dancin'. The guy I bought it from earlier this year said he hated to see it go but would like it to get some stage time. He said it probably hadn't seen a stage and over 20 to 30 years. Learning to play it has also made me an over all better PSG player. I'm happy with the investment!

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2022 10:11 pm    

That's great! These definitely need to be played in public. I need to get back to playing mine.

David Laveau

Rocky Mountain High, CO
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2023 1:13 pm     Re: Gibson Console Grande-sters Unite!!!

Brad Davis wrote:
Hello GCG lovers, it's been a while. Post your guitars!

Do you play a Console Grande? What do you love about it?

Hi everyone. new to the instrument, and here's the Grande Console I'm going to shine up a bit...
Never thought I'd be blessed enough to have an instrument like Papa Cairo!

seller indicated as a former sunburst that was refinished as natural... I tend to agree, believe it was done a long time ago.

binding needs attention, thinking of some rosewood for that instead of the black and white plastic - thoughts?

No legs or case... Going to fit the 'standard ones'

Anyhow, appreciate the resource; still very much digging in...

I'll post photos of a Blanton custom I just got today later this week...

Have a great day!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 10:05 am    

Would anyone have an 8 string nut for a Gibson Console Grande?
I am restoring a Console Grande and am lacking an 8 string nut.
I don't know what happened to it but am needing one.
Thanks, Very Happy
Erv

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 10:46 am    

The chrome nuts on the Console Grandes have two little pins that go down into the wood. Over time, string pressure pulling the nut forward will wallow out the wood, letting the nut fall inward slightly, affecting the intonation a bit. Mine came with a spacer at the end of the fretboard (don't know if that was original), but I had to cut an additional spacer to get the nut standing upright. I would guess that a better fix would be to drill the holes out and glue in hardwood dowels and redrill for the pins.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2023 10:49 am    

Clyde,
The Console Grande I just sold had those spacers on the end of the fret board. Very Happy
Erv