The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brown Deluxe?
Barry Anderson

Nevada City, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 10:14 am    

Hi buddies. Anyone have any experience using a brown deluxe for pedal steel?

I have an Ampeg J-20 that's a pretty close approximation of one but I can't seem to get rid of the honk. Tried using the brght channel and really dialing back the tone but it's still there.

Would putting a graphic EQ stomp box in front of the amp help me out? Or am I really just fighting a losing battle?

FWIW, I also have a 70's Ampeg VT-22 that sounds pretty great for steel. But it weighs a ton and is so much more amp than I generally need.

Thanks for whatever thought y''all might have.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 10:42 am    

That Deluxe should sound great in your living room, but I doubt it has enough power to stay clean in a venue much bigger than that. Cool guitar amp.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 10:57 am    

I agree with Barry. You're probably looking at 12 watts - not enough headroom for much more than practice. A brownface Vibrasonic is the sweetest amp I've ever heard for steel guitar, but even at 35 - 40 watts it's underpowered unless your band is very quiet.

On the subject of EQ pedals, I would never use one to cure a bad amp. They are usually noisy and don't make up for an amp's shortcomings. Better to get yourself a decent steel guitar amp if you are serious about getting the right sound.

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 4:49 pm    

Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking but I've never tried using an EQ before.

Maybe I'll just stick with the VT-22 and get a back brace.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 7:59 am    

The Ampeg J20 circuit is also similar to the late Tweed Deluxe, which I have. Since it only has the one Tone control, if the amp sounds "honky"then most of the "honk" is probably in the speaker.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 8:02 am    

Hey, so last night a friend brought over a Reverb/Delay pedal (Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master - killer pedal, btw) and it seemed to either mask or otherwise magically reduce the honk I couldn't dial out with the amp's single tone knob. I mean it really took it out. Crazy. All of a sudden I was sounding pretty good.

Now, I know that these are pretty standard dressings for the sound, but I guess I was trying to make sure my base was solid before adding them in.

So I guess I'm wondering if this is common? Do any of you find that adding in reverb and/or delay to the chain will "fix" an otherwise less than stellar sounding amp?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 8:54 am    

I've been using a brownface Princeton lately for some gigs that have good a sound system/sound man. I put it up on a milk crate and it's fine ....for quiet bar/club gigs. I did put a higher powered 60 watt 12" speaker in it and that's another important factor. Best sounding amp I own. I'm into trying to play quieter these days, but I have bigger amps when I need them. Very Happy

BTW Barry, I'm playing the Crazy Horse in February. Stop by for a beer if you're around! Smile

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 2:49 pm    

That sounds great! Who you playing with?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 2:53 pm    

Quote:
That sounds great! Who you playing with?

https://www.sangeronimomusic.com/

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 12:16 pm    

Barry Anderson wrote:
Hey, so last night a friend brought over a Reverb/Delay pedal (Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master - killer pedal, btw) and it seemed to either mask or otherwise magically reduce the honk I couldn't dial out with the amp's single tone knob. I mean it really took it out. Crazy. All of a sudden I was sounding pretty good.

Now, I know that these are pretty standard dressings for the sound, but I guess I was trying to make sure my base was solid before adding them in.

So I guess I'm wondering if this is common? Do any of you find that adding in reverb and/or delay to the chain will "fix" an otherwise less than stellar sounding amp?

Assuming you use a volume pedal, if you put the reverb pedal between your guitar and your volume pedal, it can act as a buffer for your pickups which can result in a cleaner sound. If you put it between your volume pedal and amp I have no explanation.

Barry Anderson

Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 1:36 pm    

An update for y'all, in case anyone cares...

Based on a couple of the comments that the honk might be coming from the speaker, I ended up replacing the stock speaker in the Ampeg J-20 with a Weber 12F150 (50watt, light dope). What a world of difference!

Seriously, night and day. The honk is a non-issue and everything sounds so much rounder and more crisp.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'm gonna need a Holy Grail nano, but from there I should be in pretty good shape.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2017 9:00 pm    

Just to go back to the Deluxe for a sec-

*If* it were roughly equal in output to the Ampeg it would break up earlier by design. Ampeg amplifiers are made to stay clean. Although they can be overdriven it's generally only at the far upper end of the volume level.

A properly-maintained '62/'63 Fender Deluxe (reasonably fresh filter and bias caps, good tubes, bias not set overly hot, speaker in good shape) will inherently start to break up a bit with the volume around 5-6. It'll be clear but have a hint of "hair".

It'll keep moving in to smooth breakup - usually - up to around 8 or so, then start to get a bit ragged with the stock speaker.

I've heard them with a speaker change and just some minor tweaks used for pedal steel and hold up pretty well. Not a squeaky clean steel tone, but very warm and clear. It can be a good amp at lower volume levels in a small club situation.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2017 12:44 am    

I know the circuit is different, but I regularly gig in small clubs on a ‘64 non-reverb Deluxe. I put a Telonics neo 12” speaker in it. It works really well for pedal steel and non-pedal steel. A really lovely amp.