The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  still looking for rodding chart
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 2:30 am    

I've been searching for a rodding chart for my MSA Legend 12 uni for over two years with no luck, MSA don't have one,, I'm hoping some kind player who has the same guitar can help....my steel is very stiff and not easy to play,, I just want it back to factory setup....thank you for any help...

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 5:38 am    

Might I suggest contacting Mickey Adams.... I would think he could help you and I'm sure he would be willing, he I'd a great guy!!!

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 5:44 am    

yes I already been in contact, he said he would look into it, alas nothing so far,

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 6:04 am    

Oh I see. Well bRotherham I wish you luck. I will be receiving my Justice (new to me) tomorrow and I am considering making a change on it......

One thing that madee want a Justice is Fred. I emailed him yesterday about a Rodding chart and while he doesn't have a chart per se, Fred told me when i get the guitar, flip it over and have a small pair of needle nose plyers in hand and call him....

That's what I call excellent service, when the man himself will take time to help you!

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 6:14 am    

Jim Morris wrote:
Oh I see. Well bRotherham I wish you luck. I will be receiving my Justice (new to me) tomorrow and I am considering making a change on it......

One thing that madee want a Justice is Fred. I emailed him yesterday about a Rodding chart and while he doesn't have a chart per se, Fred told me when i get the guitar, flip it over and have a small pair of needle nose plyers in hand and call him....

That's what I call excellent service, when the man himself will take time to help you!

very good service from Fred...
the previous owner told me he sold this guitar because there was no support from MSA,,, rising the blood preasure

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 6:57 am    

https://www.steelguitar.com/roddingS12.html
This I found in a “search”...it’s not necessarily for any one brand of steel per say, but I’m hoping it will help you? Best to you!

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2017 7:17 am    

Edward Rhea wrote:
https://www.steelguitar.com/roddingS12.html
This I found in a “search”...it’s not necessarily for any one brand of steel per say, but I’m hoping it will help you? Best to you!

thanks, unfortunately when I tried this link a few months back my guitar was unplayable .
mine is 4 rise and 3 lower. 8 pedals 5 knee leavers

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 12:51 am    

looks like I will have to sell this guitar and get one that has more support. shame

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 2:05 am    

John Roche wrote:
looks like I will have to sell this guitar and get one that has more support. shame

Sorry John, you've lost me. Why not experiment with different bell crank slots and changer holes? Surely the variations couldn't justify two years of searching. Am i missing something?

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 2:51 am    

Greg Milton wrote:
John Roche wrote:

Sorry John, you've lost me. Why not experiment with different bell crank slots and changer holes? Surely the variations couldn't justify two years of searching. Am i missing something?

well its an 12 string universal tuning, Newman tuning, 33 pulls, getting each pedal and knee levers to work correctly is not easy, I can get one correct, then another one is out or very stiff, if each pedal or knee is not in the correct changer or bellcrank the guitar then it difficult to play... the bellcrank has 13 slots , changer 4 rise and 3 lower, the combination's are endless..the A&B pedals have three pulls each and some knee levers have three also....but it could be solved if MSA would just write a tuning chart, how. do they rod their guitars?, guesswork? of course not, begs the question why?, thank you

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 8:30 am    

John,
Been there on another guitar so let me offer what worked for me:

First rod the guitar for the E9th Tuning using the chart already supplied by the link given previously then rod the B6th with the Changer holes that are left. If that doesn’t work for you let me know how much you want for it...BUT you should find someone to help you. I can make suggestions if needed. Also, ask MSA for an E9th rodding chart only then go from there. GFI publishes their charts online too.

Best of luck,

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2017 8:48 am    

Marty Broussard wrote:
John,
Been there on another guitar so let me offer what worked for me:

First rod the guitar for the E9th Tuning using the chart already supplied by the link given previously then rod the B6th with the Changer holes that are left. If that doesn’t work for you let me know how much you want for it...BUT you should find someone to help you. I can make suggestions if needed. Also, ask MSA for an E9th rodding chart only then go from there. GFI publishes their charts online too.

Best of luck,

Thanks first of all MSA don't have rodding chart of any kind, I have tried the link before, but it's for 3 raise & 3 lower so they don't really work with mine steel. I can get it playable but not great ,also you have to strip out the E9th to fit the B6th
Also had a major operation for AAA repair making it hard to keep lifting the guitar in and out of the case to do the work. I do appreciate you suggestings.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 11:45 am    

John, don’t know if you have spoken to Bob Adams, know he is under great pressure with family medical problems, but he may be able to advise you.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 12:00 pm    

Thanks Malcolm, no I haven't spoke to him, maybe best not to bother him at the moment, I've got the E9TH pretty much sorted, payable at least. Thanks

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 7:56 pm    

John, we have no published rodding chart because every guitar we build is a custom setup. When I set up a guitar I don’t use any chart at all, I just know where a good starting point is and go from there. An E-9 universal with 33 pulls is a tricky setup to begin with. If you will contact me at my MSA email account with your exact setup I will prepare a chart that should get you close.
I don’t want anyone to feel like we don’t support our guitars, and I apologize if we made that impression.
Best regards,
Mitchell
mitchell@msapedalsteels.com

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 12:28 am    

Thanks for your help Mitchell.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 11:12 pm     Still looking for a rodding chart.

Greetings john. I have a GFI S12 U set up Newman tuning. It has 3 raise 2 lower fingers. I will help you if I can converting my raises and lowers to your guitar if needed. Good Luck on getting it till it plays proper.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 11:15 pm     Re: Still looking for a rodding chart.

Bobby D. Jones wrote:
Greetings john. I have a GFI S12 U set up Newman tuning. It has 3 raise 2 lower fingers. I will help you if I can converting my raises and lowers to your guitar if needed. Good Luck on getting it till it plays proper.

Thanks Bobby, I'm hoping to have a rodding chart from MSA soon. thanks for your very kind offer ,John

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 8:55 am    

John- Mitchell is a great guy and will get you in the ballpark for sure. Just know that knowledge that we all use in setups is:
First concentrate on the changes that you use most commonly- ie.- for me it is the A pedal, then B, the E raises then E lowers. I will work on the raises first as the lower rods in an all pull guitar like yours are above the raises and sometimes obscure what is going on underneath them. Know that the timing is important- ie- that each string on a pedal or lever start at the same time so that you don't feel any increase in resistance as the change is activated. Start with the fattest string as it generally will have the shortest throw and make it as long and easy as possible by adhering to the principal that the closer you put the pull rod to the cross shaft the longer and easier that pull will be. The opposite will be true at the changer end- the further you can put the rod from the changer axle- the longer and easier the pull will be. For me- I start with the A pedal and on a 10 string guitar will do the 10th string 1st putting the rod in the furthest raise hole from the axle in the changer and then in the closest to the cross shaft position in the bell crank as possible. I then will rod the 5th string to balance and time the change and generally will have to "climb the ladder" a bit with the bellcrank position as the throw on a 17 or 18 gauge string is substantially longer than on a 36 or 38 gauge string for the same change in pitch. One needs to keep in mind when doing this other changes that are going to be needed on that string planning in advance where you might be needing to put the other changes so that you avoid having to cross pullrods over each other due to bad planning. You generally see the greatest disparity in rod positions on the B pedal where the G#-A change on the 6th string requires far less movement than the same change on the 3rd string due to the difference in string gauges. Have fun and good luck! Setting it up as well as possible is rewarding.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 10:12 am    

Thanks Jim , excellent info for everyone getting a setup done correctly thank you very much

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2017 6:56 pm    

Hey John, Jim Palenscar gave you the best advise you could get. He has given you the trade secret for setting up your guitar. Just takes some time to go thru it all. Good Luck, J.R.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 1:12 am    

J R Rose wrote:
Hey John, Jim Palenscar gave you the best advise you could get. He has given you the trade secret for setting up your guitar. Just takes some time to go thru it all. Good Luck, J.R.

thanks, yes very good info.. but I'll hang on for Mitchell to send me a chart that he is doing for my steel.....

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 7:01 am    

John, it will take me a few days to put it together, I am going by memory so i have to do a little at a time.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 7:17 am    

Mitchell Smithey wrote:
John, it will take me a few days to put it together, I am going by memory so i have to do a little at a time.

That's fine Mitchell. Thanks for letting me know..

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2017 10:22 am    

Hi John. I’m in Essex whereabouts are you? Perhaps I could help you figure it out?