The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Positioning Your Steel Seat - A Method to the Madness?
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 2:11 pm    

The first thing I do when I get behind the steel is I make sure my steel seat is exactly in the position I'd like it to be in...

I find it important for not only comfortability, but also for technique...it ensures that the left foot is in a good position over the pedals, the right foot can smoothly manipulate the volume pedal, the right hand/arm is comfortable, and that the bar hand has plenty of room to move freely up and down the fretboard.

Here is an article I wrote that explores the idea of positioning the steel seat: http://playpedalsteel.com/positioning-your-steel-seat/

How do ya'll approach seat positioning...any suggestions/tips? How important of a role does it play for your playing technique?

Thanks,
Casey

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 2:25 pm    

For some reason I have yet to figure out my seat is slanted. I like the right end to be a couple of inches near to my guitar than the left.

I also like to sit opposite the 15th fret.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 8:13 pm    

I also sit at the 15th fret, but my seat is parallel because I move my pedals to the right.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2017 9:39 pm     Ahhh, The Seat Position.

With no set list, (at every gig) I’m swapping from guitar to steel sometimes after only one song. So, by the time I get my picks on, seat pulled back up to the steel, wherever the seat ends up is where it stays. As far as my hurting my technique, I ain’t got much of one to hurt. What does help is the old Sho-Bud pac-a-seat is the perfect height for me, and even if I’m a little to close or backed up a hair, it doesn’t bother me.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 7:38 am    

What I hate is when I get it where I want it and one of the band members or a jammer walks off my end of the stage and pushes it in cause they think it's in the way.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 11:39 am    

I also like to sit at the 15th fret. I've gotten so used to placing my seat in the position I like that it takes no time at all. I have no trouble at all with pedals as long as I get my seat the correct distance form the steel.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 1:14 pm    

I sit with my midline(belly button) at the 12th fret. I use keyless guitars. I make sure the volume pedal and my R knee levers are comfortably aligned. My seat height has been a problem, and I like the seat elevated from back to front as it seems to help my posture and back while playing. I swapped out the two rear glides for adjustable ones.

The one on the left is the original and the one on the right has lock washers to fix the height.

I suppose they could be put on all four legs for a custom tilt.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2017 9:37 pm     Positioning your steeel seat - Method to the maddness

When I bought my first factory steel it was a MSA S10. The Pedals were set over to the right 3 slots on the pedal bar, And the the knee levers setup to match the pedals. I had to sit right of center about 3 or 4 inches. I have changed guitars but find sitting to the right 3 or 4 inches is most comfortable.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 9:50 am     Re: Ahhh, The Seat Position.

Bill L. Wilson wrote:
With no set list, (at every gig) I’m swapping from guitar to steel sometimes after only one song. So, by the time I get my picks on, seat pulled back up to the steel, wherever the seat ends up is where it stays. As far as my hurting my technique, I ain’t got much of one to hurt. What does help is the old Sho-Bud pac-a-seat is the perfect height for me, and even if I’m a little to close or backed up a hair, it doesn’t bother me.

Yep, this. Adjust on the fly when there are a few bars of the song that can do without a steel part.
Centering at fret 15 is much easier than getting the front-to-back position.

This guy has an interesting take on the concept.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 10:05 am    

By the way, Casey, that is one of the better PSG websites I have seen. Keep it up!

Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2017 5:49 pm     Re: Ahhh, The Seat Position.

Fred Treece wrote:

This guy has an interesting take on the concept.

Haha! There is no method to that madness!!!

Thanks for the kind words about the site Fred, I really appreciate it Very Happy

I used to slant my seat a bit too when I played a single neck- to make it easier to access the pedals. When I started playing C6 I started aligning it straight again, found it harder to use pedals 4-8 with it slanted for some reason.

Jon, I like the custom tilting you've done...very neat idea.

Regarding seat height, someone asked for a suggestion recently. Here's my take on it: For the height of the seat, I recommend getting it to a height that ensures: 1) your right lower arm is parallel to the ground so that the picking hand is more relaxed, 2) a height where the knees can smoothly manipulate the knee levers (sometimes if you're too high up the knees hit the levers too high and don't allow a smooth travel), and 3) your knees won't hit the undercarriage when using the volume pedal or other pedals. For mine, the top of my seat is approximately 19 inches up from the floor, and the bottom of my guitar's cabinet is about 26.5 inches up from floor...however, I definitely think the player's body height and guitar height can/should affect the seat's height accordingly, so these measurements will vary from player to player for whatever is most comfortable.

Any thoughts on the seat's height? Thanks for all the feedback everyone, very insightful!

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2017 6:37 pm    

I have a carpet that is marked for the feet of the pedal steel and the feet of the seat so I am consistently in the same position every where every time.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 9:26 am     Re: Ahhh, The Seat Position.

Casey Saulpaugh wrote:
Any thoughts on the seat's height? Thanks for all the feedback everyone, very insightful!

Yes. It is absolutely critical for good posture and technique, especially for older players prone to back, neck, and joint problems, but also for younger players who don't want to develop those kind of ailments.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2017 7:08 pm    

I have experimented with slanting my seat so you see the corner of your seat between your legs. Almost like a bike seat or one of those more expensive drum thrones. It actually works well but looks kind of silly.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2017 11:53 am    

Craig A Davidson wrote:
What I hate is when I get it where I want it and one of the band members or a jammer walks off my end of the stage and pushes it in cause they think it's in the way.

I had that problem once until I started messing with the stomp boxes of our lead guitar player. He was really bad about moving my seat. He finally got the hint. I set my seat to the 15th fret as well but I split my seat right in the middle. I use my knee levers going both ways so I try to split it.
http://www.bjsbars.com/