The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss Katana Amp???
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 2:34 pm    

Anyone tried the Boss Katana amp for pedal steel? If so, please tell us about the experience and how well this amp is suited for pedal steel.

Thanks

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 5:23 pm    

Several previous discussions. Here are the results of a search.

Click Here

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 7:15 pm    

Craig, I've had mine 1 month and I love it. It handled the C6 good too even the low C to A and nice highs on the E9. I've got a lot of compliments with it. I use the clean settings and some of the guys like the acoustic setting which are nice plus the effects are good too. It's a keeper for me plus my back likes it too.

Tony

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 12:33 am    

I looked at the specs for a Boss Katana-100. They claim a 100-watt output with only 77 watts of power consumption. Now, I know Class D amps can be quite efficient, but this is hard to believe---or, bluntly put---a LIE!!

Dennis Ellerbee

Jackson, Georgia US
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2017 10:23 am     Boss

I use one every week and it sounds great. The built in effects are a plus. I use it on the clean setting. Easy to carry and set up. I am just using the fifty watt setting because we mike everything. The string separation and clarity are great. It is more than loud enough with an entire band playing.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 7:44 am    

I bought mine in early September and have used it at all my engagements since. Only once did I feel that I was on the brink of its' power capability and that was playing outside with nothing miked. I really like the amp, it delivers nicely and is much lighter than my Twin.
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2017 5:54 pm    

Anyone have any bad experiences using the Katana amp with pedal steel?

Craig

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 9:08 am    

I bought a Katana 100 a few months ago and love it. I've never been an amp guy in my 50 plus years of playing acoustic bluegrass, old country and folk on guitar, banjo and dobro but took up PSG just recently (Justice Pro-Lite 3x5). Having a ball with the BOSS KATANA, got some tips on amp settings from Mike Sally (forum member). Although I've only been playing PSG for five months I've played out twice and the sound of the BOSS Katana and Fred's Pro Lite made me very happy plus you can't beat an amp that weighs only 32 pounds.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 10:06 am    

Yea, and a guitar (Pro Lite) that only weighs 26 lbs. Very Happy

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 2:54 pm    

I'm wondering how a Katana 50 (as opposed to the 100) would sound with steel? Or, what the difference is? I don't play out much,,,strictly at home or small jams.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2017 3:43 pm     Boss Katana-50

I'm wondering if anybody has tried the Katana-50 for lap steel, and how the tone would compare to a Cube 80GX? [I also play mostly at home these days.]

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 8:59 am    

The Katana 100 has a power switch that lets the player use .5w, 50w or 100w. My Emmons sounds great at all three power output levels. I don't know if this helps the questions regarding the Katana 50.....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 11:18 am    

David,Sonny,looks like both speakers in the Katana 50 & 100 are the same !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 8 Nov 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 5:11 pm    

Read a review of the 50 and the guy said the amp was great,,,,he changed speaker and said it was awesome!!! Looks like the only difference other than power is the line out is missing on the 50.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 6:36 pm    

Steven Paris - I agree 100%.

It is all advertising trickery, just like in the 1970's. Maybe they discovered the source of "zero point energy" (right up there with perpetual motion) and instead of solving world hunger and they are making amps with it.

One of my pet peeves, also. Good catch. I had been looking at the Katana amp before you brought this up.

But if it sounds good and is loud enough for a person's needs, why not buy it? It's pretty reasonably priced.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 8:12 pm    

Paul Arntson wrote:
I had been looking at the Katana amp before you brought this up. But if it sounds good and is loud enough for a person's needs, why not buy it? It's pretty reasonably priced.

Yes, it is reasonably priced (~$350), and good sound IS what it's all about! BUT.....these are pretty much throw-away amps, not really meant to be repaired. So, if you are prepared for that, then OK. But for my money, I'd much rather have an old reliable, repairable, good sounding Peavey Nashville 400---about the same money.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 2:51 am    

not meant to discourage anyone from running out and grabbing one, but for my money, as stated above, it's a throw away. I looked at one in the store and the first thing I noticed was the very shabby cabinet , or lack thereof, and the manor in which it was designed and assembled. I didn't even bother to turn it on.

Over the past many years I have repaired many amps, and this one just hollers at me. I am thinking that inside it
leaves a lot to be desired.

What are we expecting from a made in China , or wherever, $250 retail ?

I don't actually think the BOSS marketing people thought that they were going to capture the Steel Guitar communities attention , I think they are aiming MUCH LOWER. Like first time buyers of guitars and amps which it would probably be ideal for.

But, thats just me...

If it's for you, go for it ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 5:33 am    

I went out to GC and bought one last night primarily for guitar use and if the steel sounds good through it, that would be a plus.

Got the amp home and hooked up the steel to it and in 10 minutes I had a sound that I had only gotten close to on Mickey Adam's Mesa Boogie. I also took the direct output and ran into my board and was floored with what I heard. Is it as good as the Revelation? NO. It is pretty close? Yes.

With the software that comes with it you can tweak this thing forever if that is your passion. So it can really be dialed in and the settings saved.

Will I use it at gigs? Maybe since we go direct the issue of trying to fill the room with it is a non issue for me.

And Tony think of it this way; if it is a throw away amp, just imagine how many of these you could buy for the price of a boutique amp.
Smile Smile Shocked

Happy holidays

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 7:23 am    

Are we talking something that will hold up to every night "road" use,,,or something for bedroom and occasional jam,,,which would include 90% of the participants of this forum? Shabby cabinet? How many people on here bring the amp home, set it in it's location and there it stays? Buying a 2K amp that "works" and pays for itself is one thing,,,buying an amp for pleasure,,,hobby,,, home use is another.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 11:09 am    

mtulbert wrote:

And Tony think of it this way; if it is a throw away amp, just imagine how many of these you could buy for the price of a boutique amp.
Smile Smile Shocked

Happy holidays

Ha ! Happy Holidays to you as well ! Very Happy

I don't own a boutique amp ! To me it's the exact other end of the spectrum, way too expensive for my blood.

I do however have a couple of PV's, (112 and a 400 ) a few Fenders, (Blues Jr, HR Deville and a Blues Deluxe )and a Carvin Vintage 50. For me, a 40 watt Tube amp or the PV 112 will suffice.

If I really want to go lite weight I could use the Galien Kruger MB 200 at 2 pounds and 200 watts !

I guess I would like to know, those that have been playing out, what have you been using before you discovered this Boss amp ? Just curious is all.

I remember when we all ran out and bought a N112 because it was 80 watts and 40 pounds ! ( and worth every penny)

So is this Katana kicking the N112 off the porch ?
really ?

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 12:59 pm    

I am using a GK200 head with a 15" JBL speaker in a cabinet I am satisfied with. I think it sounds good I also use a DD3. But I'm no pro. Wes

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2017 1:37 pm    

At this time I'm down to a Fender Rumble100 and Hall of Fame reverb. Works very well,,,,however I play over at a friends house sometimes who has a large collection of Fender tube amps,,,I LOVE the warm sound of the tube amps,,,had forgotten how good they sounded til I started visiting with him.

Tony,,,of your Fender amps, which one do you like best for PSG? I was thinking about trying a Blues jr.?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2017 3:19 am    

Sonny,

First off, the Katana can cover your needs for a gig, my only contention is long term quality , you know the old saying, you get what you pay for. What are we asking for in a brand new $300 combo amp ?

Each of my amps are in the 20 years old or something very close to that range , thats what I refer to as long term quality.

The Fenders : keep in mind I am also a double duty player a majority of the time. For me I can generally find a Steel sound I can live with but if I can't find my way with a Telecaster than I am not eating my dinner.

For Steel

Hot Rod Deville, 60 watts 2x12, has some weight. Can cover a pretty good size room , no issues, improved headroom over the 40 watt HR or Blues Deluxe. The one I have is 18 years old, looks and performs as new. Outdoor gigs, this is the amp I use.

Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe, 40 watts, 1 x 12 about 40 pounds , Can cover a moderate room very well. But don't push it, it will break up, it's supposed to.I have a Blues Deluxe, 21 years old, you would swear it is brand new. Thru the years I have owned and used a couple of HR Deluxes, liked them a lot but knew the limitations.

Blues Jr, 15 watts, 1x12, not much there in the way of clean gain. Good for rehearsals and a small room . This amp is designed to break up early, its built on the EL84 tube platform. It may be my favorite amp for the Telecaster . The one I have is 15 or 16 years old.

If I am ONLY on Steel which is very rare, I may use the Nashville 112 , mine has a Fender Eminence 12" speaker which increased the highs and tamed the mids. This amp covers a lot of ground. If it's a large stage or outdoors , it's the Nashville 400 . I typically do not like the Solid state PV Steel amps for guitars, others do so it's really just a personal preference here. They are great amps. Well worth their weight ! I believe the N400 is mid 80's and the 112 is early 2000's, both excellent, can't go wrong with PV quality and endurance.

Another really nice amp or amps, if you can find one now that Carvin has closed, the Vintage 50 series,( 50 watts) the Nomad 1 x 12 or the Belair 2 x 12. Built on the EL84 tube platform. They tend to be slightly lacking in the low end, just put the bass knob on 10 or swap the speaker. Very comparable to the Fender series, can cover double duty very well if thats a need.

Thats all I got !

Very Happy

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2017 4:01 pm    

My take so far is I like it real good. the setting I have made that is just what I am wanting to hear is great just a tiny bit more tweaking. I have also found out that the acoustic sounds awesome sitting here by my self but when I play with a good track thru my system I use the same settings on the clean channel and it cuts thru much better.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2017 6:50 am    

After a week I'm liking this katana 50 more and more. I have 45 days from GC to decide,,,so, I may take it back and get the 100, but at this point I definitely think I'll keep a Katana,,,,at least until I can compare side by side with a tube amp I can afford (and lift,,LOL).
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=324086

BRUCE,,,,I'd like to know the settings Mike Sally (?) suggested????